Bike buying - head or heart

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

Bike buying - head or heart

#1 Post by randomsquid » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:10 pm

So I'm casting about for a new commuter bike. New or newish and ride it until the wheels fall off sort of deal. I only do 9 miles each way on dull roads where I'm lucky to hit 50.

I could buy a nice little YBR125, cheap and cheerful and even comes with a kickstart and a rack which is practical.

Or I could buy a nice little V7 Guzzi. Comes with fork gaiters and a shaft. This is also practical but not really cheap.

The all black W800 is very pretty...
Where ever I lay my hat.....

blinkey501
World Champion

Re: Bike buying - head or heart

#2 Post by blinkey501 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:17 pm

randomsquid wrote:So I'm casting about for a new commuter bike. New or newish and ride it until the wheels fall off sort of deal. I only do 9 miles each way on dull roads where I'm lucky to hit 50.

I could buy a nice little YBR125, cheap and cheerful and even comes with a kickstart and a rack which is practical.

Or I could buy a nice little V7 Guzzi. Comes with fork gaiters and a shaft. This is also practical but not really cheap.

The all black W800 is very pretty...
I have had two YBR's as work hacks john and they are good mile munchers and do 100 mpg.

The seat is narrow though and after a while it feels like you have been on a push bike.

The best bike I bought for not a lot of money was a Yamaha vity 125 scooter for comfort. 100 mpg with a wide seat, and a storage under seat big enough for a full face helmet.

Having the choice the vity would be my choice even though it has 10 inch wheels.

The Guzzi and W800 is a lot of money for what you have in mind.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#3 Post by Willopotomas » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:18 pm

To be honest, if I was to buy a bike just for commuting, it would be an NTV or Deuville.. Horrible, nasty bikes to look at.. Ride well enough but never seem to die. Jussayin. :smt001
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#4 Post by flatlander » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Guzzi or the scrambler probably the guzzi if it was the racer so heart would be the answer
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#5 Post by BikerGran » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:42 pm

9 miles? Not time for your bum to get sore! Although I believe the W800 does have a plank for a seat....

Great excuse for a Guzzi though!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#6 Post by Falcopops » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:49 am

9 miles! get a push bike.

How about an electric scooter (not the kids thing) might cost a bit on initial purchase, but costs bugger all to run.

Dusty
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#7 Post by Dusty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:38 am

I too would be suggesting a push bike; fantastic fun and the exercise definitely makes you feel better. However, it's not much fun in the middle of winter.
My other suggestion is one that I'm not sure that I could take up myself, but I've met several who think that the Suzuki Burgman is the prerfect tool for commuting.
So, on balance, it's got the be the Guzzi! Shaft drive convenience puts it up there withthe sensible Deauville but so much more style and desirability.
Good luck with your deliberations!

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by MartDude » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:08 pm

You'd look silly on a YBR. And it might get stuck between your bum cheeks :smt019
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

blinkey501
World Champion

#9 Post by blinkey501 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:45 pm

MartDude wrote:You'd look silly on a YBR. And it might get stuck between your bum cheeks :smt019

:smt036
Tolerance will be our undoing.

GregD-UK
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Commute...

#10 Post by GregD-UK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi all,

The heart isn't relavant in this case. Commuting 9 miles in summer pedal bike, if suitable cycle lanes available. If no lanes, l wouldn't dream of pedalling to work, to dangerous. Alot of people up here use the suzuki burgervan (burgman) as it's normally fat twats who ride em....
My warranty is the clear/smoked tail lights around the corner!!

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#11 Post by randomsquid » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:30 pm

Cheers for the responses, given me something to ponder.

These aren't pushbike friendly roads, my colleague who is a keen pushbikalist comes back to work on Monday after getting badly smeared for the second time in two years. Mushed up face and detached leg muscles...

I've had scooters in the past and I'd have another if it had big wheels and a clutch which would sort of make it a motorbike.

Mart I'll look silly whatever I buy, I'm used to it. I'm not fat enough for a burgervan... NTVs are tempting but bloody heavy.

I'm also slightly worried a 125 wouldn't have enough zip to stop me getting squashed by a taxi/repmobile/truck.

The closest on paper are the CRF250M but it's bloody tall and the Inazuma but it has 3000 mile valve check intervals. Really.

I've got a couple of months to decide

:smt017

fatboy
World Champion

#12 Post by fatboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:32 pm

Even though it's a fairly short commute, why not make it fun and safe ?
Which bike would be the more able to accelerate out of trouble?
Which bike would have superior braking capabilty ?
Which bike is simply more visible due to its size?
Which bike would be more able to safely overtake the dumb twat on the mobile phone ?
Which bike would have the more imposing presence and hopefully make sleepy commuters aware that you are on the road ?
So it 's a case of head and heart :smt003
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#13 Post by randomsquid » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:16 pm

fatboy wrote:Even though it's a fairly short commute, why not make it fun and safe ?
Which bike would be the more able to accelerate out of trouble?
Which bike would have superior braking capabilty ?
Which bike is simply more visible due to its size?
Which bike would be more able to safely overtake the dumb twat on the mobile phone ?
Which bike would have the more imposing presence and hopefully make sleepy commuters aware that you are on the road ?
So it 's a case of head and heart :smt003
Good points, I went out yesterday and had a sit on a few things asked some questions and all that stuff. I'm 99% sure that I'm going to buy a CRF250m.

Offered a deal I was happy with and 0% finance on top.
Not as tall as I feared and light enough that it won't be an issue anyway.
Physically big and enough zip for the estates, motorway island and country lane on my route.
Cheap to run and tax.
Made by Honda so I'll meet the nicest people - which will make a change...

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#14 Post by flatlander » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:20 pm

So not tempted by a pegaso then?
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#15 Post by randomsquid » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:30 pm

flatlander wrote:So not tempted by a pegaso then?
They're getting on a bit now. My level of commitment to a commuter bike is-

Once a week - petrol
Once a month - tyres and chain
6 months - hose off and spray with ACF50
3 years and once a year after - pre MOT check

Top up levels if light comes on while braking, reattach anything that drops off. Investigate things that go scrunch. Unless it's a kwak. Fuck kwaks.