Bike buying - head or heart

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#61 Post by HisNibbs » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#62 Post by Willopotomas » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Ooooo.. Nice seat.. :smt078

Dude.. Just buy a Futura.. Come join the gang. :smt003 :smt003
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#63 Post by HisNibbs » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:41 pm

I quite liked it. Agreed the FUT is probably a better bike however as they are comparatively rare, it'd be a shame to just run one of those t'll it dropped.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#64 Post by randomsquid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:10 pm

HisNibbs wrote:I quite liked it. Agreed the FUT is probably a better bike however as they are comparatively rare, it'd be a shame to just run one of those t'll it dropped.
It'd be a shame to knacker up a servicable futfut. BMWs - well, they did bomb our chip shop.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#65 Post by randomsquid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:17 pm

MartDude wrote:John, if you should decide to explore the BMW route further, a friend here is contemplating selling his R1100S. From what he's told me, I don't think he'd expect more than £2K.
They might be a bit wristy I'd have to sit my arse on one. I'm quite taken with this one, Isn't that the dealer that did Nick's tyre at the Marche's Meet?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1100-R-/ ... 23465ef053

And QB down the road have one of these, whatever it is, bloody ugly and needs to be matt black.

http://www.qbmotorcycles.co.uk/locator/ ... -mnth.aspx

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#66 Post by MartDude » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:51 pm

randomsquid wrote:
MartDude wrote:John, if you should decide to explore the BMW route further, a friend here is contemplating selling his R1100S. From what he's told me, I don't think he'd expect more than £2K.
They might be a bit wristy I'd have to sit my arse on one.
I've sat on it, but not ridden it. The position for the upper body is not dissimilar to the Futura, but the pegs were a bit close to the seat for me - knees too bent. But as you've only got stumpy legs, that wouldn't be a problem for you.

However, the Rs are probably a better bet - easier to fit useful stuff like taller screens & luggage. And they have centre stands, which makes life a lot easier.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

nicketynoo
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#67 Post by nicketynoo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:11 pm

randomsquid wrote:
They might be a bit wristy I'd have to sit my arse on one. I'm quite taken with this one, Isn't that the dealer that did Nick's tyre at the Marche's Meet?
Can't remember seeing it there, but then again I spent the whole time with my head in my hands whilst laying on his workshop floor :smt005
I don't care if you lick windows,
Take the special bus
Or occasionally pee on yourself.
You hang in there sunshine, you're special!

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#68 Post by randomsquid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:36 pm

MartDude wrote:
I've sat on it, but not ridden it. The position for the upper body is not dissimilar to the Futura, but the pegs were a bit close to the seat for me - knees too bent. But as you've only got stumpy legs, that wouldn't be a problem for you.

However, the Rs are probably a better bet - easier to fit useful stuff like taller screens & luggage. And they have centre stands, which makes life a lot easier.
My legs are muscular, not stumpy...

For a commuter I'd prefer upright with wide bars and as little bodywork as possible. I can wrap up in winter but I like the breeze the rest of the year.

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#69 Post by randomsquid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:41 pm

nicketynoo wrote:
randomsquid wrote:
Can't remember seeing it there, but then again I spent the whole time with my head in my hands whilst laying on his workshop floor :smt005
Ah yes, some sort of bug or virus wasn't it? Nothing to do with that pint of shandy.

Dusty
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#70 Post by Dusty » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:33 pm

This doesn't meet your minimal bodywork criteria but the cars ahead will part like the Red Sea if you wear a white helmet and a hi-vis jacket:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-58-BMW-R ... 4188e71944

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#71 Post by randomsquid » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:56 pm

Dusty wrote:This doesn't meet your minimal bodywork criteria but the cars ahead will part like the Red Sea if you wear a white helmet and a hi-vis jacket:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-58-BMW-R ... 4188e71944
Cheers Dusty, Mart did a demo for me of the parting effect with his silvery futfut and hi-vis coat. It was most impressive.

I've been nosing at the ex police bikes and I can see the appeal, but-

Whatever I buy I'm going to have to take it up the back passage every night. Flatlander lent me an instructional video and I want to be sliding in like a greased rabbit rather than bouncing off the sides like a sausage in a dustbin. I'm still changing my mind on a daily basis. I have a 43" hole.

Guzzi V7s are being dumped now the V7 II is landing.
Dullvilles - worthy but fat.
Oldish beemer and a rattle can panzer paintjob. Little crossed out car stickers on tank.
CRF250m, nail the swagmans to it and weather proof the suspension with pop rivets and old biscuit boxes. 0% finance. 2 year warranty. Kill anybody that looks like a bike thief in the vicinity and shove them in the chipper.
CB500X or F easy but boring, low rate finance. Also warranty.
Mildly used NC700, my life is dull and empty, even the cat hates me.

I can see me hiring an illegal as a driver for the day and getting shit faced on cheap whiskey flavoured drink. Then waiting to find out what I bought.

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#72 Post by Willopotomas » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:09 pm

randomsquid wrote:I can see me hiring an illegal as a driver for the day and getting shit faced on cheap whiskey flavoured drink. Then waiting to find out what I bought.
This I can help with.. But I've been here since birth. :smt003
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#73 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:23 pm

randomsquid wrote:Whatever I buy I'm going to have to take it up the back passage every night.
This evokes so many mental images, none of them entirely pleasant, that I will say nothing.
randomsquid wrote:Flatlander lent me an instructional video and I want to be sliding in like a greased rabbit rather than bouncing off the sides like a sausage in a dustbin.

If anything, this makes it worse.
randomsquid wrote:I'm still changing my mind on a daily basis.
I'm not sure if I'm relieved or alarmed to hear that.
randomsquid wrote:I have a 43" hole.
And this is before the practice sessions?

Dusty
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#74 Post by Dusty » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:14 am

Ah, dilemmas, dilemmas, and as mango has said, those latest left field constraints aren't helping. The suspense is driving me nuts and I'm wondering if it's the thrill of the chase that you're enjoying which will make any choice anti-climactic. If so, you need to buy something that is so boring that you have to start this process all over again next year. What about a car?; whispered in DRider mode because it's somewhat sacrilegious. My 1.3 diesel Corsa is much cheaper to run than my bike and copes well with snow, slush, ice etc etc. OK, I'll get my coat.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#75 Post by D-Rider » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 am

Dusty wrote: What about a car?; whispered in DRider mode because it's somewhat sacrilegious. My 1.3 diesel Corsa is much cheaper to run than my bike and copes well with snow, slush, ice etc etc. OK, I'll get my coat.
.... know what you mean .... I picked up a Merc c220 at the end of last year and it's economy on any type of journey knocks the spots off any bike (or car) I've ever had - except for the c50 I started on. It's phenomenal. TBH I've been commuting in that since I had it .... really must get the fuel hoses fixed on the Falco and get that out of the garage again
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein