Bike buying - head or heart

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#106 Post by D-Rider » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:18 pm

randomsquid wrote:And I seem to have bought an Honda.

A CB500F in red.

He'd only do me two hundred quid off on account of the low rate finance offer and free top box and panniers that Honda are doing to shift the stock before the new (fucking awful) colours come out.

Still that's transport and shopping sorted for the next ten years or so.
Take it back at once .... you need to get the cash back to spend on a beautiful carbon tank for the Falco.
:smt018
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

nicketynoo
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#107 Post by nicketynoo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Well done Random! I do get a nice warm fuzzy feeling when people spend their hard earned cash. ITS WHAT ITS FOR! :smt023
I don't care if you lick windows,
Take the special bus
Or occasionally pee on yourself.
You hang in there sunshine, you're special!

Sixty7
Despatch Rider

#108 Post by Sixty7 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:25 am

Looking at ur post...it has to be the V7 such a beautiful little bike.....may as well make ur commute's special.... :smt001
Sixty7.

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#109 Post by randomsquid » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Sixty7 wrote:Looking at ur post...it has to be the V7 such a beautiful little bike.....may as well make ur commute's special.... :smt001
I just couldn't bring myself to inflict me on a defenceless little V7. My old Guzzi coped for 14 years but it was built like a tank with out any fancy modern stuff to break.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

Re: Bike buying - head or heart

#110 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:56 am

For me, it totally depends on the roads you're commuting on and where you're parking the bike when you get to work.

If it's all A-roads and under 10 miles, there's nowt wrong with a second-hand 125. Cheap to buy, maintain and insure. Something like a small off on a V7 Guzzi is going to cost as much to fix as a 125 is to buy...

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#111 Post by BikerGran » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:49 am

Since this is theoretical, I can answer and make believe I'm still riding. I'd have a Yam RXS100 for a 9 mile commute (as long as there aren't any steep hills involved). I have great memories of my first bike that I rode for 3½ years, it was such fun!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

#112 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:53 am

A YBR125 or a Guzzi V7 and you end up with a CB500F? I'd say that's a great compromise. More poke than a YBR, reliability by the bucket load and alright, not as much kerb appeal as a Guzzi but those parallel twin Hondas have great character.

How are you getting on with it?

yello
Despatch Rider
Main bike: Sorry, it's a Dullville

#113 Post by yello » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:21 pm

My current bike was actually a head based swap. No 'heart' involved at all. As much as I loved my previous bike (Yam Thundercat), I was beginning to fall out of of love due to back and knee aches. It was also (to be frank) too much for me, I'd become a different rider over the years and was riding the t'cat at half pace pootles. Tbh, I was on the verge of selling it and packing in biking completely. I thought I'd 'been there, done that'

Then I saw a lad's ad on Gumtree. He was offering to swap his dad's Dullville 650 for a sportsbike, I thought 'wtf' and broke all the rules (met him in a supermarket carpark) and did a straight swap. Bloody daft, I know, but tbh I've not regretted it! (Btw, I'd ridden a Deauville before, knew it's limitations and realised what I was in for) It's a gutless and lardy beast but suits me down to the ground... even if I do feel a little sheepishly defensive!

That said, this yt clip always gives me a chuckle...

Down to the guy's riding rather than the bike but it just shows what's possible (even if he does get done for top end now and again)

Gio
Double World Champion

#114 Post by Gio » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:02 pm

Hahahaha, what sort of riders are on sports bikes.................................
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Dr Ridin
Despatch Rider

#115 Post by Dr Ridin » Mon May 11, 2020 11:09 am

yello wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:21 pm
Down to the guy's riding rather than the bike but it just shows what's possible (even if he does get done for top end now and again)
Yep - I have always said that a good rider can make anything handle (no insult to your scoot meant).