Wobbly front

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

paddyz1
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#16 Post by paddyz1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 pm

You won't get any joy out of Maxton....It is TT week and also once you have brought their stuff they don't wanna know you unless you show them some green

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#17 Post by Firestarter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:14 am

Age check done, seems to be mid-2007 on the front. I've heard of a rough 5-year shelf life, so I'm guessing I'm heading outside of that. But...

Had another look last night, the tyre hasn't squared off in the centre, but does seem to have a flat band covering 10-35mm from centre on either side (more on the right, roundabouts I guess). Have a sneaking suspicion that I changed the rear but not the front last time, so seems to have worn the front a bit. Guess a few hundred miles of watching myself to get some use out the rear, followed by some Rosso's in the near future!
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#18 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:33 am

Firestarter wrote: Had another look last night, the tyre hasn't squared off in the centre, but does seem to have a flat band covering 10-35mm from centre on either side (more on the right, roundabouts I guess)
Road camber is what tends to make it wear a bit more to the right off the centre line
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Tonyunn
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#19 Post by Tonyunn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am

I have read this through and nobody has mentioned the amount of rings showing through the yolk.
When I first got mine it had six showing and the bike tucked in badly on slow bends and tight corners, I have recently adjusted it so now there are three rings showing and the bike is better behaved and slightly more comfortable.

It is an easy enough job with patience.
Speed Blue SL 1000 Falco
Harley Davidson....the most efficient way to turn petrol into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower..

Falcorob
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#20 Post by Falcorob » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Firestarter wrote: seems to be mid-2007 on the front
This may be your problem. The tyre will have started degrading and won't be capable of offering the same amount of grip as it did when new.

Car tyres are reckoned to have a 6 year life cycle, but bike tyres only 5 due to the differences in compound and construction, never mind the completely different ways they're used. So if you're correct and your tyre is a 2007 (what's the date code btw?) it's too old and should be replaced.
I'm right 98% of the time so why worry about the other 3%?

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#21 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:46 pm

sorry tony -
I would also be interested to know your fork settings
having said that the symptoms as reported would not be down to the rings sag etc - but could have been down to fork oil not being equal between the individual forks

there was a discernible difference in the volume on mine!

either way, glad we found a solution

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Must admit that I'm far from convinced about setup as this was a one-off - not something that happened or showed signs of happening before.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#23 Post by flatlander » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Look you are all over complicating it ... It was s'imputen t'he balladt shifting as his pies rolled from one side to the other ! ;)
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

fatboy
World Champion

#24 Post by fatboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:53 pm

D-Riders link mentioned something interesting which Ive seen many times aand not been too sure as to what it was

Blue jay effect, IMHO suspect tyres, the reason I say this is my suspenders are no where near set up properly but does not give me any worries, the rear rebound is a tad harsh, but Im happy with the tyres
With my old Bridgestones, much washing and sliding
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#25 Post by Firestarter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:06 pm

D-Rider wrote:Must admit that I'm far from convinced about setup as this was a one-off - not something that happened or showed signs of happening before.
Not true, it has happened before, but generally when I'm pushing a bit harder into roundabouts (right-hander). Think this is the first time really for the left-hand, at least since I scrrapped the old Mez3's many years ago!

I think, all in all, it's a combination of old, flattened/worn tyres, and my own riding ineptitude/lack of recent miles. I think some new rubber to remove any nagging doubt, and probably more miles/bit of group riding with some well-mannered folks who would be happy to give some feedback. Any takers? (Any excuse for a ride-out :smt043 )
Flatlander wrote:Look you are all over complicating it ... It was s'imputen t'he balladt shifting as his pies rolled from one side to the other ! ;)
:smt019 Prolly right :smt040
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#26 Post by randomsquid » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:41 pm

I had a series of front end slides (not on the faclo) that turned out to be due to a broken engine mounting bolt. Not got anything swinging about have you?
Where ever I lay my hat.....

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#27 Post by flatlander » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Much to my surprise I will refrain from adding any smutty comments here :smt002

Always up for a ride but why not take a trip to Steve at sandbach and ask him what he thinks and for a price on replacement tyre(s)
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

Re: Wobbly front

#28 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:05 pm

If the front's tucking on the road in dry conditions there's something seriously wrong or there's some diesel or similar on the roundabout.

If conditions are wet and the front's tucking, you're A) Riding too quickly or B) you need some decent sports-touring tyres to maximise grips and feel.