so what sort of biker are you?

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#31 Post by BikerGran » Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 pm

There's always the exeption that proves the rule.............

:smt112
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#32 Post by Willopotomas » Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 pm

This old chestnut again. :smt005

I like bikes.. I like beer.. I like women. To combine all these things in to one event would mean a pretty decent party! It's not all about riding bikes to me, but also the social side of things. I also like to tinker, and have a thing for the old and obscure. I like a good ride, as well as a good laugh, and have many good friends because of it.

I wouldn't like to place myself in any 'biker' category. To me, if you're on two wheels and love to ride, you're a biker. :smt002
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#33 Post by mangocrazy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Yes, this kind of question always seeks to compartmentalise or pigeonhole an activity that, at its best, is about spontaneity, freedom, adventure and fun. And most of the folks on here are far too smart to be stuffed into one particular category just so they can conform to a stereotype (which is something most of us don't like the idea of at all).

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#34 Post by Paulh » Wed May 29, 2013 8:13 am

I've never actually considered myself a biker, I'm just as much a car-er or a van-er as I drive them as well - never understood the need to pigeonhole.

lazarus
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#35 Post by lazarus » Wed May 29, 2013 2:14 pm

fatboy wrote: I may not always adhere to the letter of the law but I do not overtake on double white lines or subscribe to similar stunts.
FWIW, its perfectly legal to overtake on double white lines providing yopu can do it without crossing the lines.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#36 Post by D-Rider » Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 pm

lazarus wrote:
fatboy wrote: I may not always adhere to the letter of the law but I do not overtake on double white lines or subscribe to similar stunts.
FWIW, its perfectly legal to overtake on double white lines providing yopu can do it without crossing the lines.
Should probably have one word added .........
lazarus wrote: FWIW, its perfectly legal to overtake on double white lines providing you can do it SAFELY without crossing the lines.
.... and there starts the difficulty as nobody on 4 wheels and few on 2 expect you to overtake in that situation - so probably fail to leave sufficient room or may drift towards the lines squeezing you out.

That said, basically I agree with you..
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

fatboy
World Champion

#37 Post by fatboy » Wed May 29, 2013 6:01 pm

All the reasons why I dont do it ! !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#38 Post by randomsquid » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm

HisNibbs wrote:
randomsquid wrote:
BikerGran wrote:We're just people - reasonably intelligent people - who like bikes.

And like other people.
Again, I'm not sure I fit the given categories.
1 out of 4 is not good. I'm guessing you like bikes though.
Not entirely made my mind up yet. Like the Falco, still miss my Guzzi, kwak is ok, the rest of them you could keep. :smt001
Where ever I lay my hat.....

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#39 Post by Kwackerz » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 pm

MartDude wrote:
lazarus wrote: But I still bet that you lean more towards one type of bike use than to another.
In my case, and I suspect others', that's only due to financial constraints

Wot ee said.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

lazarus
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#40 Post by lazarus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 pm

D-Rider wrote:
.... and there starts the difficulty as nobody on 4 wheels and few on 2 expect you to overtake in that situation - so probably fail to leave sufficient room or may drift towards the lines squeezing you out.

That said, basically I agree with you..
I agree totally. I've done it locally numerous times but admittedly only on roads where the safety nazis have changed from 3 lanes to 2 very wide ones

Mind you that is also the argument against filtering through moving traffic. When you are driving along in a movng traffic jam on the M way at 50 mph you dont expect a bike between lanes 2 &3 doing 80 for example

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#41 Post by D-Rider » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 pm

lazarus wrote: Mind you that is also the argument against filtering through moving traffic. When you are driving along in a movng traffic jam on the M way at 50 mph you dont expect a bike between lanes 2 &3 doing 80 for example
I wouldn't class that at filtering - that's just being bl@@dy stupid.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#42 Post by MartDude » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:53 pm

D-Rider wrote:
lazarus wrote: Mind you that is also the argument against filtering through moving traffic. When you are driving along in a movng traffic jam on the M way at 50 mph you dont expect a bike between lanes 2 &3 doing 80 for example
I wouldn't class that at filtering - that's just being bl@@dy stupid.
But it's fun.

Or it was when I was a courier around Manchester, 1978-79; used to get a real buzz out of it then. Up the white line between the middle and outer lanes on the M62, as fast as possible; better than booze, drugs or sex.

But that was when I was young, invincible, indestructible, and immortal.
Last edited by MartDude on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#43 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:00 pm

1870's Manchester - brave man mart

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

fatboy
World Champion

#44 Post by fatboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Did we have motorways in the 1780's ?
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#45 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 pm

With what mart has in his pipe

Probably

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...