Spring Lunacy?

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#91 Post by HisNibbs » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi Dave,

Yep it was a good day and as you say the vibe was friendly and track action sensible. On reflection I was mostly going pretty steady, I did bits ok on occasions, but don't think I put a complete lap together to my satisfaction. However it was the first time out for me this year and the bike ever, and I was really trying to be careful rather than fast because she who would not be amused, really wouldn't...

I need another day or two to relax into it. Not sure I'll get that this year. I will have some pictures to post up shorty though.

And as the saying goes the older I get the faster I was. Free prescriptions don't quite make a bus pass, but by then once upon a time, I must have been.

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

Gio
Double World Champion

#92 Post by Gio » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Amazing, I'd be careful about getting your knee down tho :smt005
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#93 Post by randomsquid » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Looking good there.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#94 Post by HisNibbs » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Battery on the RS started giving up so I've nicked the one in the cafe racer and replaced it with an expensive lithium ion one.
The original weighs in at 8kg the new one is 1kg. It doesn't have quite the same capacity but starts it fine and is equivalent to the one in the Falco so it can also do service there for the odd track day etc. By the way the Falco battery is just under 5kg.

A replacement standard one for the BM would have been around £75 the light weight one was £150. So that's just over £10 per kg saved. I know it's not why people are doing it but that's going to be a lot better ratio than the CF tank or other bling bits.

7kg is like 1/2 a tank of fuel so just about noticeable as you ride. Maybe, we'll see. That standard battery sure is heavy.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#95 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:04 am

All sounds good - especially with that weight carried high up.

HisNibbs wrote: I know it's not why people are doing it but that's going to be a lot better ratio than the CF tank or other bling bits.

7kg is like 1/2 a tank of fuel so just about noticeable as you ride. Maybe, we'll see. That standard battery sure is heavy.
As for the carbon tanks, the weight-saving, bling and capacity increase are just by-products - the main purpose is a winning defence in the war against the effects of ethanol.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#96 Post by HisNibbs » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:09 pm

Latest fetling is:
Modified the modified top yoke so it bolts down properly and stops the head bearings loosening up;
Fitted the Ohlins stearing damper off the Falco;
Modified the throttle to create a "quicker" action by judiciouse application of JD weld. Ie. One handfull instead of two. This I am particularly pleased with as I've been thinking on this for a while and a proper quick action throttle also meant new switches and front brake master cylinder assembly which was going to be £250+ and even at that possibly worth it.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#97 Post by HisNibbs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Now repainted the wheels silver as I thought the gold a bit crass. Been out for a blast to warm it up prior to changing the oils. I thought the steering damper was purely for bling but I hit some bumps at speed while leant over a bit, and lets just say I was glad to have it. Everything settled down before I realy realised it was out of shape. So seems like on my local roads at least it adds value.

Quick action throttle works too so it "punches" out of corners better.

Also I fitted a new brake line. It turns out the old was a real nasty naff Heath Robinson afair with what looked like two hydrolic hose sections joined by brake pipe winding aroun the the frame beneath the headstock. No wonder it was spongey, now it is nice and neat and firm, with an extra bleed nipple at the mastercylinder.

Want to get some fancy tyres for it next and then it'll be ready to rumble in earnest.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#98 Post by DavShill » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Sounds good Keith. look forward to seeing it and might even be able to join you on track this year somewhere.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#99 Post by HisNibbs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi Dave,

I am thinking about doing the Saturday of the VMCC celebration weekend at Cadwell 24th -26th of June. www.vmcc.net/ourevents/anniversary.aspx

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#100 Post by HisNibbs » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:39 am

Looked at the regulations and the parades are limited to 60MPH. I'm wondering if that was true of the old festival parades also but it was just ignored. Any way I'm not going to risk an entry and risk being constrained to follow round at 60MPH.

I'll have to do a full on track day some time. I'm on holiday at the begining of August so will not be doing the Performance/Classic bike one that is on then.