Old laptop issues

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Old laptop issues

#1 Post by MartDude » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 pm

We've 'inherited' our daughter's old laptop - a Compaq Presario, nearly 5 years old. Windows XP, and AMD Turion 64 processor.

It's abysmally slow; I'll be asking for help with this later, when I've had chance to do the few clean-up tasks I'm familiar with.

Current question is : I've just downloaded AVG Free to it. It's identified the following as results/infections (:

C:\Program Files\Online Services\BT Yahoo\HPPre05.msi:\... Potentially harmful program Dialer.EOQ

This is shown three times.

Why should dialler software be identified as a threat? Should I remove it.

The scan's taking forever - been running for ca. 45 minutes, & only 85% complete
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#2 Post by Dalemac » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:41 pm

most probably the file is fine. Sometimes completely legitimate code snippets are found as "threats" because they are used elsewhere in mallicious software.

However, i would streongly reccomend reinstalling windows if possible, if not, then do a disk cleanup and the run the defrag tool.

Dale

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by Viking » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm

What Dale said - reformat it and reinstall everything. You'll be surprised at how much faster it is. Oh, and see about popping some more RAM into it as well - that will help a lot.
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Sorted!

#4 Post by MartDude » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Defrag, clean-up & AVG PC Tuneup having failed to achieve any discernible improvement, and not knowing what the f**k to do next, I took the easy option, & gave it to a knowledgeable friend to sort out. Which he has done - reinstalled Windows, & now all seems infinitely faster & smoother.

Cheers!
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by Kwackerz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:21 pm

:smt023 Just avoid big memory intensive programmes and it'll be fine.
Mrs K got a cheap secondhand laptop for 100 quid the other week, They had done exactly the same and reinstalled, stripped it back to just the bare essentials and used low memory programmes, Firefox browser, etc

She only uses it for internet browsing (Farmville on Facebook and the like) and it's fine. She's a bit gutted as her last lappy was a huge memoried, super dooper processor thing.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly