is your isp giving you what you pay for ?

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#121 Post by Viking » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:59 pm

I wrote:In the technological wasteland that is Australia, our "World-class NBN (National Broadband Network)" might get to 25Mb/sec by 2020. If we're lucky. F**king idiot politicians who want to drag us back to the 1950s.
Following on from my previous post:

ADSL2+, about 4km from the exchange.

It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#122 Post by Firestarter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:17 pm

New house. Only house in the village that can't get fibre, as we're "too close to the exchange". New one on me...

Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#123 Post by BikerGran » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:56 pm

No idea whether I'm getting what I pay for - I just pay and get what I'm given, but I do know that we're not well served being out in the sticks, local business people complain like anything. At least I'm better off than my neighbour who used to work from home - her internet from BT kept dropping out, which rarely happens to me.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#124 Post by Viking » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:24 am

Firestarter wrote:New house. Only house in the village that can't get fibre, as we're "too close to the exchange". New one on me...
That's a right load of bollocks.

Probably means they can't run anymore fibre because the pits / ducts are all full.
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#125 Post by Firestarter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:16 am

We're cabled straight to the exchange, no intermediate "green box" (which is where the fibre comes from). Until they decide to run fibre to either a box, or straight to my house (that would be nice!), we'll stick with the 20 Mb. Which isn't bad, considering

HowardQ
World Champion

#126 Post by HowardQ » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:25 am

Since I last posted about this, BT have proudly announced that they have upgraded to fibre in our area! Well up to the local street box anyway.
(They have have probably taken out the incoming copper lines from all the pins and wrapped fibre around the metal pins and thought that would suffice!), but they also proudly put a sticker on the street box, so it most be OK!!
I have also just changed from AOL to TalkTalk (who own AOL), and now get my phone through TalkTalk on the same BT line. They offered me a massive financial incentive to change, (it will save me £500 plus over the next two years).
The last reading from a couple of years ago, before the BT upgrades, was about 2.5 Mbps for Downloads, with the usual BT upload limit of sub 0.4 Mbps

I took a sample on the last day, (17/11) with AOL, which gave 2.9 download (not bad) and 1.2 upload (good news!).
Upgraded to TalkTalk, (without any service break as it stayed on the same BT line and central AOL routers), also swapped the router to a new smaller unit supplied by TalkTalk, which I was told would be much better.
Tested again and initially got between 2.2 and 2.6 download and between 1.0 and 1.2 upload.
A couple of days ago it all started to seriously slow down and yesterday morning it would hardly work at all until around tea time there was nothing.
Did all the usual resets, then repaced all the filters and cables between the line socket and router, (ethernet from here to PC and then WiFi through the bungallow), still no internet service, although all WiFi OK.
Swapped to the old AOL router and it started to work, although a bit slow.
I re-tried the Talk Talk router and NFU, thought that's it the new router is f****d, so went back to old AOL unit again, (which had just worked OK), and now had no bloody internet with that. :smt017 :smt017
Spent many hours, I won't detail, until I finall got it running at 03.30 hrs on the old AOL D-Link router. I also ended up changing the WiFi set up to get better more equal coverage through the house. I finally got to bed around 03.30 hrs, very tired but happier.
Still working this morning, but the best speeds today have been 1.28 Mbps download and 0.41 Mbps upload with a Ping time of 68 Ms (average of 40Ms before).
Don't you just like progress and improvements !!!???
The TalkTalk sales bloke said I should get 3.8 Mbps when selling me the deal.
How can you get such great "improvements" when everything is really the same, same old router, same BT line, (now from TalkTalk) and same internet provider (AOL TalkTalk)?? :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Will let you know if things get better.
Really glad I don't live out in the sticks!
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

HowardQ
World Champion

#127 Post by HowardQ » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:29 am

Just tested again after posting and have a "massive" improvement -

Can't understand how you lot can get such great results.
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#128 Post by Firestarter » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:48 am

Finally joined the information superhighway revolution...

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#129 Post by flatlander » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:14 pm

HowardQ wrote:Just tested again after posting and have a "massive" improvement -

Can't understand how you lot can get such great results.
Try taking the face plate off the incoming master socket and connecting straight into the test socket.
If its better look for any other sockets or extensions you may have and unplug them.
Have you had the line tested?
The socket may be old and need updating or the phone line itself may have damage
I had one that a cable was broken and BT engineer couldn't find the fault despite me having marked it with hi viz tape

Have the error setting tolerance adjusted on the line it may be set too high
Tell talk talk you want what they told you or you want a cheaper service

I do live in the sticks and get marginally better than you do
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#130 Post by flatlander » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:15 pm

And right on queue my connection died when I was posting that
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#131 Post by D-Rider » Sat May 07, 2016 6:56 am

Thought I'd see what I'm getting at home though a wired connection rather than WiFi:

Might be getting a bandwidth upgrade soon too as I can get a better deal through work.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#132 Post by randomsquid » Sun May 08, 2016 8:08 pm

D-Rider wrote:Thought I'd see what I'm getting at home though a wired connection rather than WiFi:

Might be getting a bandwidth upgrade soon too as I can get a better deal through work.
That's about 3 times what I get up and down. Feel free to fornicate yourself with a cactus.
Where ever I lay my hat.....