Starting a new web site

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Gio
Double World Champion

Starting a new web site

#1 Post by Gio » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:45 pm

My ISP supports all the types of formats (ASP.NET, ASP, JSP, PHP). Now I rather fancy trying PSP, but is it suitable for our shops site?

Thought I'd transfer it over, in the hope some geek can help :smt003
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by Kwackerz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:50 pm

I'll reply then... :smt002 PHP? Yes it can be used for a shop website, use it in conjunction with normal html pages, I suppose.. however for that purpose wont really achieve anything other than the stuff that normal HTML web pages do already. All you have to do is drop the PHP files onto the server as directed, hunt around to redo all the images, etc (which isnt hard, just need to be able to work out the paths to the images) point your site Url to the portal page ( /portal.php) or index page (/index.php) and go from there. A free shop can be found here: http://www.igeneric.co.uk/scriptdirecto ... -cart.html the demo seems ok and the programme is free apparently! Php set up isnt hard, but it can be fiddly if you want to truly make it 'your own'

It is probably easier and more maintenace free to just create a simple website like you already have. ISTR you were going to add a forum and webmail?

Good free forums? Proboards ( www.proboards.com ) provide totally free forum hosting and really basic, easy to use forums. This can then be linked to using a button on the webpage or text link. Remember ridernews2002? that was proboard to start with. cost absolutely sod all, but was still alterable as far as colours, etc go. No hardship of having to load the server and set it all up, just create the name on proboards, enter the admin password and there ya go. all you needed from a geeky point of view is the colour chart here: http://www.htmlbasix.com/colourchart1.shtml in order to alter the forum colours. Dead easy!

Webmail can also be provided free using googlemail (which is very spam resilient and picks 99% of it up) ( www.googlemail.com ) which again can be linked to on your webpages or portal using a button or text link, overcoming the need to use the basic mail provided by your ISP and then having to pay for an upgrade to include spam cover
Last edited by Kwackerz on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by Kwackerz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:59 pm

Im sure one of the real geeks will now come up and post a 'proper answer'.. they probably just needed someone to allow them to come in and say... 'That's bollixs, you want to do this...'

Enter Hammy stage right...... :smt002

Hammy
Admin
Admin

Re: Starting a new web site

#4 Post by Hammy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Gio wrote:PSP, but is it suitable for our shops site?
You mean PHP, don't you?

I like it. I'd argue it's not 'Enterprise Strength', but that's only a problem if you're an Enterprise.

It's pretty easy to learn, and there's shitloads of free or almost free resources on the interweb. If I was a developer these days, I'd want to be be using PHP and mySQL if I could.

:smt001
Support RiderSite!

Gio
Double World Champion

#5 Post by Gio » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Kwackerz wrote:Hammy stage right...... :smt002
Where :smt003

I've given up the idea of php now anyway :smt015
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by Kwackerz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:44 pm

Make yer mind up then :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

:smt003

Gio
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Gio » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:07 pm

His ferkin post was there when I posted before :smt017

I'm not a "developer" either, I ain't got a bloody clue what that is.

Hammy
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by Hammy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:35 pm

They're all just technologies.

Different ways of writing code, if you will.

Pick the one you find easiest to spell. It will work out fine.

Support RiderSite!

Gio
Double World Champion

#9 Post by Gio » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:48 pm

Hammy wrote:They're all just technologies.

Different ways of writing code, if you will.

Pick the one you find easiest to spell. It will work out fine.

I've never really used code, the last time I tried I made a bloody sows ear of it :smt010

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by Kwackerz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:52 pm

You dont need to really. Like the Hamster says, it's all readily available ont'web

Gio
Double World Champion

#11 Post by Gio » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:26 pm

I'll keep plugging away with dreamweaver, I like it :smt003