Improving PC Performance Part 3 - Browsing

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

Improving PC Performance Part 3 - Browsing

#1 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 pm

so, most of the people are using Internet Explorer - well, it was on the system when they bought it so.....

Welcome to M$ advert heaven - and it has so many holes in it you would be amazed (IE7 is a little better but....)

So how else can you browse the web safely?

If you want to stay with IE, then there are two simple things to do to stop pop ups/unders and spam shite.... First off, go to www.google.co.uk and click on the "more" icon

then install the google toolbar - that will stop a lot of popup adverts straight off :)

the next one is a little more difficult - but try it

head to http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and read up and install - it works - so well that many websites will have empty panes where the adverts used to be..... saves a lot of time and bandwidth!
Last edited by Aladinsaneuk on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gio
Double World Champion

#2 Post by Gio » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:07 pm

What about Firefox 2? or Opera 9
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#3 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:17 pm

aye - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ - Firefox, is what I use - i have not tried opera in a while so can't comment

Gio
Double World Champion

#4 Post by Gio » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:28 pm

Opera isn't bad, its catching up with Firefox for ease of use IMO
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Samray
Double World Champion

#5 Post by Samray » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:35 pm

Some useful add ons there for ff. :smt001

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#6 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:36 pm

nod - have heard that - but i believe that there is a cost in it?

I have got so used to firefox that I have stopped looking at other things - but, as opera works on the Nintendo Wii I may have to look soon :)

Woodyfjr
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by Woodyfjr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:18 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:nod - have heard that - but i believe that there is a cost in it?

I have got so used to firefox that I have stopped looking at other things - but, as opera works on the Nintendo Wii I may have to look soon :)
How do you get Opera on the Wii?

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#8 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 pm

you have to now buy the internet channel - was free when the original post was made - about 500 points i believe?

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

Thought it may be time to add to this

#9 Post by flatlander » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 am

Plus as a new member on the site it shows willing :smt001
Currently the most popular choices appear to be

stick with internet explorer
Firefox
Google Chrome

of these 3 Chrome appears to be gaining most popularity at present personally I wouldn't use it but then I am fighting a losing battle against having half my life recorded.

Some tips that you can use to try and maintain performance is to look for the option to delete files when closing the browser (in IE this under internet options then advanced and is a box you select from the list)

You should also check for options not to reuse data such as storing passwords form data etc usually under the security options I think
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock