vdeck.exe

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

vdeck.exe

#1 Post by BikerGran » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm non-techie numpty so bear with me. I noticed that with nothing apparently running (ie just desktop on screen) the little red light was flashing madly, so I got the task manager up and most of what was on there seemed to be ok but clearly one thing was doing something as it kept moving about - but what was it doing as nothing was apparently happening?

So I googled vdeck.exe and got this info.....

http://www.file.net/process/vdeck.exe.html

Most of the info is way above my head, but I can see that this could be something else masquerading as a harmless bit of Windows.

I've been having slightly more than occasional problems with Firefox crashing, and a couple of times something has come up asking if I want to reset the clock - as the clock was correct I was suspicious of that. So I wonder if they are connected?

I've got AVG which automatically updates and runs regularly, and I've also updated and run Malwarebytes several times with no result.

Where do I go from here? - preferably in words of one syllable without technical terms!

(Usually I would decide it was time to take my machine to the computer man in town for a tune-up but he made such a hash of dealing with my mate's laptop recently, that I think he's losing it and don't want to go there!)
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:14 pm

I think this is just an small application that controls the via volume control

You could - I think - disable it

What version of windows are you running? Will then post a link to how to stop it running automatically

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#3 Post by flatlander » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:48 pm

Pete is correct it works with the audio system you can try disabling it or setting or manual ( there are 3 options automatic manual disable ) or you could try updating it first depending on the version.

If W8.1 go to right click bottom left corner you should get a pop up list select control panel Change the view option too right to small icons and in the first couple of rows you should see device manager select that and when it opens look for any warning symbols. That will give you an idea if there is a conflict.
If you go to the audio option and expand it you see all the drivers and can right click and update driver. It will ask where you want to look just accept the default and start looking after a few minutes ( you have to be connected To T" web) it will either find some or not. You may get prompts asking if you are sure and for admin access

Further info
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... g-properly
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#4 Post by BikerGran » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:54 pm

The bit that worried me was
Some malware camouflages itself as VDeck.exe, particularly when located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder. Therefore, you should check the VDeck.exe process on your PC to see if it is a threat.
I know what it's supposed to be and yes I'd like to get rid or disable it as apparently it can cause problems - although it's never done so to me before.

Hahaha Jeff - I said words of one syllable! :)

I'm using Win7 (64bit if it makes any difference).

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#5 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:55 am

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#6 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 am

Oh, run malware bytes in safe mode
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... dows-7.htm

It will take a long time!

(That will stop any nasty stuff from kidding avg etc!)

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#7 Post by flatlander » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Most if not all commercial software should be digitally signed / certified if you go to the control panel and looking for programs and features one of the columns is publusher name i that any think signed software is almost always ok. Any unsigned is more suspect

Also that warning is fairly generic
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#8 Post by BikerGran » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:26 pm

I get that - but why does Firefox keep crashing?

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#9 Post by flatlander » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:22 pm

Because its crap lol

No sometimes when something is fekked or just is and reinstalling it over the top doesn't always work. It's better sometimes to uninstall reboot then reinstall

Historically some companies over wire files others check for the existence of a file if it exists they didn't overwrite it.

As far as it just being one product crashing it can be one of lots of things. You. Could check log files for the error diagnosis but they often aren't much help IMHO

It could be that the audio product is crap ( from a techie POV ) and is poorly written
It may be that there is a memory issue or that there is an option for the audio to operate in an exclusive mode meaning it doesn't try to integrate with everything on the system ( which is most likely the default) and is only started when asked to start

Basically if you go to sound settings you may see that your default for all the sounds is this product and you can change that back to windows sounds for example ... That may be worth a look.

I would uninstall the audio see if it works fine then reinstall it and see if it still works or if there are any install options for it to be default. Not very technical but a more real world solution.

If it breaks when you reinstall it you know for sure that product x is the issue if it doesn't then reinstalling it fixed whatever file was broken.

Antivirus / malware/ ransom ware are detectors are all worth running but you should always run more than one flavour if you suspect an infection as they typically only detect 10-20% of junk

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#10 Post by BikerGran » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Thanks. I understood about half of that, I'll have another go when I'm feeling strong!

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#11 Post by flatlander » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Sorry hot carried away :)

Uninstall the audio
Restart see if you have no problems reinstall the audio
If you have problems you know its the audio

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#12 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:28 am

With respect to Geoff

Only use ONE antivirus product - and for most users, imho Ms security essentials is sufficient SO LONG AS you do not routinely download every free thing offered....

It's all I use along with a few anti malware products

Key thing is to keep your AV up to date

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#13 Post by flatlander » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:09 pm

The key is to only use one at a time not one exclusively. Malearebytes is good and better because you can rub it without uninstalling an existing av product. You only run one at a time as they detect each other as potential threats. Personally I don't use any haven't done for years but then I don't go on too many dodgy sites ... Apart from this one!!

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#14 Post by BikerGran » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:08 pm

Right. I followed your link Pete, to the 'stop prog running automatically' thing - didn't understand it.

Tried to uninstall VDeck.exe by going to Control panel/uninstall a program - can't find it there!

If I search VDeck it finds HD VDeck and shows me this when clicked on

But I've clicked everything available on there and can't find any options for choosing a mode or turning it off!

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#15 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Am a little busy today but

FB pm your land line number and I will call you tomorrow evening and talk you through it