Sat nav for bike

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#16 Post by Dalemac » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:45 am

wayno wrote:d-rider, I have just found out that the tom tom app will run without having the mobile data turned one. Obviously the GPS signal and Bluetooth will still sap the battery, but at least there will be no massive mobile data costs involved.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/yo ... /index.jsp
The tomtom app requires mobile data enabled as it has to validate its licence before it will open.

Seriously, try navfree as mentioned by Falco Frank above. It is free and all the maps are downloaded to the phone, and there is no licence to validate to no mobile data needed.

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#17 Post by wayno » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:48 am

Cheeky buggers, it says on their site that no signal is required.

I think I've settled on just taking the plunge and getting a zumo anyway, just thought I'd post this as a mate emailed me it last night.
Pass me a hammer, a spanner and a cuppa

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#18 Post by Dalemac » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:11 am

wayno wrote:Cheeky buggers, it says on their site that no signal is required.

I think I've settled on just taking the plunge and getting a zumo anyway, just thought I'd post this as a mate emailed me it last night.
TBH i am only going by what the reviews of the app says. Looking at the reviews, I definitely would not be buying the tomtom app though, shocking reviews!

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#19 Post by Dalemac » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:09 am

Just realised navfree only allows a start and end destination, so you cannot add waypoints. Makes it pretty much useless especially on large journeys as you cannot plan a route and then follow it.

Just downloaded mapfactor and that definitely does allow waypoints so is slightly more user friendly.

Looking at a few others, too.

Dale

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#20 Post by Dalemac » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Ok, we have a clear winner on the free satnav apps - be-on-road

Allows waypoints, and is much easier to use than navfree and mapfactor, definitely going to be using it when i go down to south wales later on in the month.

Just need to get a custom phone mount sorted onto the front of the falco front subframe. Someone is going to 3d print the part fo me when i have designed it in CAD. Should be interesting.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#21 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Galferizer

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#22 Post by randomsquid » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:Galferizer
:smt017

Telferizer?
I've got one, works well. Decent bloke to deal with too.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#23 Post by D-Rider » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:37 pm

randomsquid wrote:
Aladinsaneuk wrote:Galferizer
:smt017

Telferizer?
Special Time Lord edition .... comes complete with maps of Gallifrey
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#24 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:02 pm

My memory failed me after several pints of hobgoblin.....

Fwiw I made my own version with a rawl bolt and an old ram ball mount.... Cost about 4 quid ;)

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#25 Post by D-Rider » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:59 am

IMHO, mounting a nav system above the yoke is a crap idea from an ergonomic/safety perspective. The angular position is too different to the road view / instruments and requires too long to look down, refocus and then do the same in reverse to look up again.
Much better to mount just under the screen.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#26 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:24 am

Agree with that, but only really feasible with a double bubble screen

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#27 Post by D-Rider » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:19 am

Aladinsaneuk wrote:Agree with that, but only really feasible with a double bubble screen
..... which is why I have a doublay booblay myself - TBH the bike looks a little better with the standard screen
-- Albert Einstein

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#28 Post by randomsquid » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:26 pm

D-Rider wrote:IMHO, mounting a nav system above the yoke is a crap idea from an ergonomic/safety perspective. The angular position is too different to the road view / instruments and requires too long to look down, refocus and then do the same in reverse to look up again.
Much better to mount just under the screen.
Using the standard tomtom arm and mount it puts the display directly under and on the same plane as the clocks as you look down. Not a problem by any stretch of the imagination.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

NeverNeutral
Despatch Rider

#29 Post by NeverNeutral » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:37 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:My memory failed me after several pints of hobgoblin.....

Fwiw I made my own version with a rawl bolt and an old ram ball mount.... Cost about 4 quid ;)
An old thread, but I was interested in your solution - I had the exact same thought! Do you still have this set up, and any idea what size Rawl bolt to use? A pack of 5 Projecting Rawl Bolts from Screwfix is £12, meaning I might be better off just paying £35 to Telferizer for their bespoke mount. Seems alot for what it is though...