New printer

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

New printer

#1 Post by BikerGran » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Thinking of buying an HP 2540 All-In-One Wireless Printer as our current Kodak one is a pain in the proverbial - anyone have any good reasons why we shouldn't?

The big advantage to this one is that I can use a load of Tesco vouchers against the price, but I have looked at an independent review which looks ok.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Tonyunn
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#2 Post by Tonyunn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Gets a few good reviews.

Although no match for more expensive models such as the Canon, photo print quality is perfectly acceptable. There was plenty of detail in our test photo prints; colours looked natural, and although there's a small amount of grain, this isn't noticeable from a normal viewing distance. The blacks in photos also take on a slightly brown hue due to the tri-colour cartridge, but for £45 you really can't complain too much.

As you might expect from such a low-cost device, print costs aren't the lowest, working out at 4p per page for mono printing and 10p per page for colour printing when using HP's high-yield cartridges, but neither will break the bank. In fact, we rather like this cheap and cheerful all-in-one. It's capable of decent photo and document prints, comes kitted out with an impressive scanner, and has the bonus of Wi-Fi connectivity.

Read more: HP Deskjet 2540 review | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/printers ... z2rhRWJJa7
Speed Blue SL 1000 Falco
Harley Davidson....the most efficient way to turn petrol into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower..

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by Viking » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Just one thing to remember are the running costs - the cost of new ink cartridges can often be more than the cost of the printer itself!
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#4 Post by BikerGran » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:12 am

Cheers Viking - I got the Canon cos the reviews were ok and it was available to collect.

The thing about ink is fairly decieving - the last printer was a Kodak chosen because it was supposed to be the cheapest in terms of pence per print. Which it might have been except that with my previous (HP) printer, you could use 'draft' quality for most things but with the Kodak that simply wasn't good enough for anything.

This Canon I have now - the 'quick' print is even better than the Kodak regular print!

If only I could educate my hubby when he's doing his genealogy research, to save stuff on the computer rather than printing EVERYTHING and spreading the sheets all over the dining table, then we'd save a lot of ink and I'd have some space to do some sewing!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.