New telly

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

New telly

#1 Post by BikerGran » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:32 pm

We bought a new telly cos it was going cheap in Sainsburys - haven't a clue how to set it up!

It's a 32in HD ready LED TV

Says it's HD Ready 720p (?)

2 x HDMI

PC Input

Freeview

What we didn't think ofn at the time was that we currently have a Freeview Plus box so we can record programmes. New TV doesn't have that facility and neither does out DVD player.

Been told that we can use it with our olod Freeview Plus box for recording - but how will that work as the TV already has Freeview?

Really don't want to have to pay someone to come and do it - might have to get 16 year old grandson down here but he lives 40 miles away........

Any thoughts for us ancient Luddites? :smt017
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Re: New telly

#2 Post by D-Rider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:37 pm

BikerGran wrote:We bought a new telly cos it was going cheap in Sainsburys - haven't a clue how to set it up!

It's a 32in HD ready LED TV

Says it's HD Ready 720p
The 32in is the size in old-fashioned imperial units (as still used in the US of A) - It's a measurement across the screen diagonal

HD ready means it's not Full HD - it's a lower resolution screen ..... confirmed by the fact that it is 720p
BikerGran wrote: 2 x HDMI

PC Input
It has 2 HDMI inputs ..... these are the new-fangled input connections that you use with things like DVD players and Freeview boxes etc

In the past you might have used SCART connectors but modern stuff uses HDMI digital connections (don't get me started on HDMI DRM .....)

For example you can connect your DVD player to one HDMI port and your old Freeview recorder on the other .... assuming they have HDMI outputs.
Modern ones will (though some of the ones I have at my house don't)
BikerGran wrote: Freeview
It has a Freeview tuner/decoder built in
BikerGran wrote: What we didn't think ofn at the time was that we currently have a Freeview Plus box so we can record programmes. New TV doesn't have that facility and neither does out DVD player.

Been told that we can use it with our olod Freeview Plus box for recording - but how will that work as the TV already has Freeview?
Yes as I said before you can connect it to one of the HDMI inputs (provided the freeview recorder has an HDMI output)
You will just have to switch the TV signal source to the appropriate HDMI source (input) to use the external box.

Therefore for just watching freeview you can use the tuner in the TV and at the same time you can record something else (or the same thing) on your old recorder box
BikerGran wrote:
Really don't want to have to pay someone to come and do it - might have to get 16 year old grandson down here but he lives 40 miles away........

Any thoughts for us ancient Luddites? :smt017
You could move nearer to him or make him move nearer to you .... that's the only thought on that one!
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#3 Post by BikerGran » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:51 pm

S*d's law says our Freeview box and DVD won't have HDMI ports! Actually the DVD player might cos it's relatively new.

And the TV has 2 ports so one for the DVD and one for the Freeview... It may work!

And having googled it I now know what an HDMI port looks like - will have to buy leads but our local computer shop has a huge box of secondhand leads... (Google has far too much info about how it all works - I don't want to know all that - as long as works!)

Thanks for the help!

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#4 Post by Dalemac » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Do not buy HDMI leads from places like PC world. They are far too expensive. Get on ebay and pick them up for a couple of quid instead of £30+

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#5 Post by BikerGran » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Our local little computer man has boxes and boxes of used leads of all descriptions, I shall go there!