Smart TVs?

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#16 Post by BikerGran » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:09 pm

D-Rider wrote:..... so am I the only person here with a classique crt type telly as their main tv?
We have one but about to replace it with a bargain one bought in Sainsburys! The switch on the front of ours has failed, and the Freeview box keeps having to be rebooted so when I saw a TV for £150 I snapped it up! But we're waiting till we get a visit from a family member who knows which bit to plug in where!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

paddyz1
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#17 Post by paddyz1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 pm

It you get a smart TV then make sure it can support a keyboard. Our Samsung does not and it is a right pain in the arse texting into the search bar.
Personally if I was to choose again I would just buy a media pc or a dedicated laptop with hdmi capability.
A smart TV is just a limited computer that can receive TV broadcasts.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#18 Post by D-Rider » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:01 pm

OK I've spoken to my 2 sons that have them.

One says he doesn't use TV that much (he's always gaming or playing his guitar) .... so that wasn't much use.

The other says that Smart TVs are worth having and the newer ones even moreso. He says that he tends to use his PS3 for a lot of the functionality but says he does still uses the Smart TV functions as well. His view is that if you don't have a playstation hooked up to your TV and you can get a Smart TV for not too much more, then it's definitely worth having.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#19 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:22 am

/nod

i would recommend a ps3 to anyone - EVEN none games players - very very good (3d) blurry player with a lot of very good freebie smart tv apps etc

(Judicious shopping will get you a brand new ps3 for under 130 quid....)

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...