Looking for good deals on PCs

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#16 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Not heard of Manjaro - have to check that out. I always went with Ubuntu until they forced that vile Unity desktop on us, at which point I looked at Mint. It seems ridiculous that in Ubuntu you have to instal the POS that is Unity and then convert to Gnome Classic post-install.

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#17 Post by randomsquid » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:24 pm

D-Rider wrote:You really will struggle to find a new PC running 7.
Might find a refurb though. My laptop was a Dell refurb, it's been fine.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#18 Post by randomsquid » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:09 pm

If you're still looking I've just noticed that you can still get systems with windows 7 from overclockers.co.uk. I've never bought a pc from them but I have bought lots of bits.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#19 Post by MartDude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Ta. Still looking; will give that a try.

I see Argos are selling Windows 7 Zoostorm PCs; are they any good, as a brand?
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

jonnie_r
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#20 Post by jonnie_r » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:18 pm

mangocrazy wrote:Not heard of Manjaro - have to check that out. I always went with Ubuntu until they forced that vile Unity desktop on us, at which point I looked at Mint. It seems ridiculous that in Ubuntu you have to instal the POS that is Unity and then convert to Gnome Classic post-install.
You do realise that the base for Mint is Ubuntu? I know they put a different desktop over it Cinnamon, XFCE etc., but under the hood it is eseentially Ubuntu. Unless you go for the Debian edition of course :smt003

Manjaro is still quite a young distro but it does everything I need and being built on Arch it is quite quick, with good package support.

jonnie_r
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#21 Post by jonnie_r » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:22 pm

MartDude wrote:Ta. Still looking; will give that a try.

Looking at the range they seem to cater for the lower end user with base spec processors, which if you're just surfing and emailing I'm sure will be just fine, just don't go expecting it to run complex graphic games.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by MartDude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:29 pm

jonnie_r wrote:
MartDude wrote:Ta. Still looking; will give that a try.

Looking at the range they seem to cater for the lower end user with base spec processors, which if you're just surfing and emailing I'm sure will be just fine, just don't go expecting it to run complex graphic games.
Was looking at this one : Intel Core i7 quad core Intel Core i7-2600 processor, 8GB RAM, 2 TB. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 018521.htm
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

jonnie_r
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#23 Post by jonnie_r » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Ah that has a more powerful processor, though for that money I would argure that you could build a far more powerful system if you went to Overclockers.

I built my home server from there with a SSD hard drive and 6 3Tb drives and I think the whoile lot came to £600 ish. Though I did go with an AMD processor not Intel.

That price in Argos is just for the base unit as well.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#24 Post by MartDude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:45 pm

jonnie_r wrote:
I built my home server from there with a SSD hard drive and 6 3Tb drives and I think the whoile lot came to £600 ish. Though I did go with an AMD processor not Intel.
You obviously know what you're doing with this shit; I don't; makes a difference
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#25 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Mart

say what your budget is

tell us what you want it to do

tell us what spec you need - i.e., just a base unit or screen etc as well

(That argos machine looks a bit pricey tbh - and NEVER trust nvidia graphics with 1000 memory... you want to know the exact spec....)

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#26 Post by randomsquid » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:48 pm

MartDude wrote: Was looking at this one : Intel Core i7 quad core Intel Core i7-2600 processor, 8GB RAM, 2 TB.
Zoostorm are a trading name of CMS, a big manufacturer of PCs. That one has a very powerful CPU and a poor graphics card, which is an odd mix. It would be overkill for tatting about and crap if you wanted to play games. Looking at the specs on some of the machines on their site they tend to skimp on some bits so they can throw impressive looking but meaningless numbers about.

Like Pete said, what do you want the PC to do and do you want a new screen with it?