EE Internet woes

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

EE Internet woes

#1 Post by BikerGran » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Ok so I got my shiny new computer and the old modem wasn’t compatible so I phoned Orange (who are now EE) and they sent my a shiny new Brightbox router which I duly hooked up to the computer and got online, but then I had some problems so I phoned the helpline who sorted it but said it might be due to my router being on an extension line from the phone socket. I was quite impressed with the helpline at the time in spite of having problems understanding the accent, and having to pay 5p a minute!

So one day when I felt brave enough I unplugged it and set it up in the hall where the phone socket is, and connected wirelessly to the computer – go me! (remember I’m 66 and retired and never was very computer literate)

It was fine for 3 weeks.

Then Tuesday I started having problems and eventually lost the connection altogether. So I phoned the helpline again and we went through a series of inputting names and passwords and trying again and doing it again and in the end he said it was my landline that was the problem and he would report it; I should hear something by Friday.

So I was quite pleased when they (EE) phoned today to get me to try to connect, which I did! And had to go through some more settings on the router but I was happy cos I had internet again.

But it was slow! Very VERY slow, to the point where I could get on a couple of very small forums, but anything like Facebook where there’s a lot of data on a page, was out of the question. And then I couldn’t connect to anything. So I phoned the helpline…………. *sigh*

After trying this and that he reckoned the wireless was too slow, possibly because the computer was too far from the router, and he wanted me to connect via the Ethernet cable so we could ‘change the channel on the router’. Well that would have taken me ages faffing about with extension cables etc, but I have this laptop so I said I’d get that out but as it would mean starting that up (was having trouble with slow boot up but I think that’s sorted now) and moving the phone and finding the ethernet cable…… at 5p a minute, I said I’d call back.

Which I did, having done all that.

I explained that I’d been speaking to someone who wanted me to connect via Ethernet cable in order to change the channel on the router, and she (same accent, different gender) said but this job is closed. And I said, no, he wanted me to connect…. (etc etc) and she said “Can I call you back?” so of course I said yes.

That was about 2 hours ago. Have to say my internet seems to be working fine now but I’ve had no call back and I’m a bit miffed. First of all the problem was that the router was too far from the phone socket, now it seems it’s because the computer is too far from the router. (Apart from when it was BT’s fault).
It’s maybe 5 metres from the router and there’s not even a door in between. Ok, have to take into account that as far as BB goes we are miles out in the sticks and it’s rubbish. But I’m starting to think their router is rubbish too. Maybe it’s cos we don’t have our landline from them as well? (which would of course give me free access to the helpline which I always had before EE took over from Orange.

Thinking of changing to BT – any reason why not?
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

HowardQ
World Champion

#2 Post by HowardQ » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Yes - they have always been pretty crap! This especially applies in areas where they still have the old copper wiring cabinets in the street, the ones with hundreds of metal pins with all the old wires wrapped around them. If you ever see one of these open with an engineer working on it, they are a perfect example of 1950s technology.
Where they have optical fibre all is fine, where they are still using copper it is very different.
Unless you have a WiFi link to your house or some sort alternative form of fibre link like Virgin Media, most services come via a copper BT line even If you pay bills to somebody else.
It's a bit like Gas, lots of people will provide the gas, but it still comes down the same old pipes it always did. ( how do they tell the gas molecules apart??)

I pay for a 16MBps link from AOL/Talk-Talk over a BT line and this is a typical speed test.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2903175544

It sometimes gets higher than the 1.9MB download speed, (have seen 3MB), but the upload speed of 0.37 MB are about the best I can get.

So sorry I think it may not be a good idea, unless BT can provide local fibre links via "Infinity".

I must say that it has been a bit better and more reliable since I upgraded my old XP PC to a new much better PC with Windows 7.
The main difference is that we always have at least two or three devices running and they all run better now.

Hope to improve it further by swapping to an expensive (£90) dual band router in the near future.
I forgot to mention that I also have the same problem as you with the BT main socket, which is on a wall in the kitchen at the side of the freezer.
I have to use an extension socket in a spare bedroom right at the other end of the bungalow.
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#3 Post by BikerGran » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Yes - they have always been pretty crap!
Had a feeling someone would say this and tbh I'm not sorry cos I really don't want to go through all the hassle of changing.

Wiring cabinet with engineers at work - oh yes, a familiar sight!

At least I know know that I can connect the laptop via ethernet cable and it will work - even if I have to sit in the hall!

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:10 pm

So if the laptop is working ok and the speed is OK on wired LAN, then it's probably a wireless issue.
Could well be that your router is using the same channel as others in your area and changing the channel might help.
If you (or anyone you know) has an android phone, install the free app "inSSIDer"
This can scan for all Wifi networks in your area, tells you which channels they are on and shows their signal strengths. You can then choose the best (least interfering) channel and change the setting of your router to broadcast on that channel.

Not the only potential cause but probably quite likely.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

HowardQ
World Champion

#5 Post by HowardQ » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:32 am

That's why I am about to go with the dual band router Andy, although as I said, the WiFi within the house seems to be working well.
The PC itself is on Ethernet with all other stuff running wireless, a Samsung netbook and laptop, Samsung Tab., 3 x Samsung mobiles and a Samsung smart TV all linked, (How did we get to this, and now take it for granted ??) :smt017

You can get cheaper Dual band routers Bobbie, but I decided I wanted a good one, as there is lots going on. I can also see 3 or 4 other Wireless networks around us and the new router should help deal with all this, well that's what it claims to do!
HowardQ

2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by D-Rider » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:27 am

Another solution if all runs OK on ethernet is to use some powerline adapters - ethernet cable from the router to the first adapter that you plug into the mains and another ethernet cable between another powerline adapter (close to the PC) and the PC itself.
They work pretty well.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#7 Post by Firestarter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:58 am

I've recently had router problems (well, more TalkTalk problems), where my Belkin stopped working properly (ADSL connection kept dropping, even with a brand new router). So, TalkTalk supplied a new Huawei router, which now connects fine to the ADSL, but my new laptop would lose connection. It's one of the newer standards (102.11 or whatever it is, type "N"), while the old router was "G". "N" is faster, so I think possibly more prone to interference and therefore losing connection. I changed the mode on the router to "G", and all seems hunky dorey (will be looking into getting it working properly another time).

Given you've recently had a new computer, and a new router, possibly this is the issue, that it's using this new standard but not working very well? You should be able to set either the router or your computer to only connect in "G" or "B" modes (slower, but still faster than your broadband connection so not a problem)

Also (just thought), on a previous router I had to change the MTU setting when I had the sames symptoms as you describe - don't ask what it is, but basically it was set to large and the connection wouldn't work properly, even though it was "connected". Maybe try the above, if that doesn't work I'll dig out the info on changing the MTU. Sometimes it really is just trial-and-error
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#8 Post by Firestarter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:00 am

D-Rider wrote:Another solution if all runs OK on ethernet is to use some powerline adapters - ethernet cable from the router to the first adapter that you plug into the mains and another ethernet cable between another powerline adapter (close to the PC) and the PC itself.
They work pretty well.
It is a solution, but having to go and buy new stuff to sort a wireless connection problem on a wireless router seems daft
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

HowardQ
World Champion

#9 Post by HowardQ » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm

The problem with Powerline type adaptors is that they normally state that the two devices should be on the same ring main with no extensions or adaptors in use. My ex bedroom computer room sadly does not have the sockets required to run the PC, screen, router, two printers, 3 external disk drives, speaker system, scanner etc. so it uses an anti-surge multi adaptor already.
As Firestarter says it would probably be better to stick with wireless for all the extra stuff. If you have a main place you work, near to the router like me, I run the PC via Ethernet and all the rest via wireless. It was how it worked before I got wireless so just left it that way. It also gives you a comparison if wireless is playing up.
My entire system started playing up after AOL/TalkTalk gave me a free "loyalty" upgrade. Fine for two days, then could not keep the line working for more than 5 mins, and not much chance of Samsung wireless stuff.
Went out and bought the new dual band router and that same night the old one worked better than it ever had before, still is, so haven't got around to fitting the new one yet, will let you know how good it is when I do.
HowardQ

2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

HowardQ
World Champion

#10 Post by HowardQ » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Another question is what is your house like Bobbie?
I live in a long modern bungalow with the BT master socket and living room at one end, my PC at the other and the router wall mounted in the hallway near to the middle.
The internal walls are thick and made of concrete block, which have good insulation properties, but also seem to block wireless signals very well. The expensive cordless phones have never really worked unless you are near the base station, and we sometimes have to use the mobiles in line with the end of the hallway.
I am hoping the dual band modem helps this, and lets me use the Smart TV for more stuff.
It works for normal internet browsing but not much good for on demand video, or viewing photos stored on the PC.
How did we get all this stuff linked. :smt009 :smt017
Just imagine what it will be like when the washing machine, oven, central heating are on line and the Sky box is programmed from your mobile.
Oh and did I mention viewing your security camera over your phone whilst on holiday................... Doooooh
HowardQ

2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by D-Rider » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:24 pm

HowardQ wrote:The problem with Powerline type adaptors is that they normally state that the two devices should be on the same ring main with no extensions or adaptors in use.
I use wireless for our household's 6 or 7 smartphones, tablets, one printer, 5 laptops, Nettop pc, X-box, Archos, IP camera and PS3.
I have a wired network for a couple of desktop pcs, NAS box, one of the TiVos and rasberrypi.
I use powerline adapters for the 2 smart-TVs, Wii, the other printer, the other TiVo and whenever I need to patch something else in quickly.

There are probably a few things I've forgotten and a lot of the stuff is owned by my 3 sons who are still living at home! (before you think that I can afford all of this kit myself).

The powerline adapters are good and reliable. They are not all on the same ring main and are just plug-and-play. The only thing you need to avoid is plugging in to an anti surge adapter - but as we have double sockets, the powerline adapter goes in one and the multi-way anti surge adapter goes in the other. I wondered whether it would be a problem to have the anti-surge plugged in the same double socket - it isn't.
Of course you would need to make sure all powerline adapters are on the same phase - but how many domestic properties have 3-phase supplies anyway?
-- Albert Einstein

HowardQ
World Champion

#12 Post by HowardQ » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:53 pm

I wouldn't argue with you on that Andy, it's just that the "expert" in PC World agreed strongly with what it said on some boxes about adaptors and different ring mains etc, so I did not risk buying the kit.
I always thought it should be OK.
HowardQ

2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#13 Post by BikerGran » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:59 pm

To be honest, all this changing settings and fitting adaptors etc is completely beyond me!

We live in a 70's house which has never been rewired so we don't have enough sockets for the stuff we use which doesn't include any games consoles so we're already using too many adaptors and extensions, we really need a rewire but we're OAPs as well (cue the violins!) so it's not going to happen.

What really irritates me is that we're paying for something we're not getting. Today it's so slow again that it's really not useable, with each page taking minutes to load. When the router was near the PC I was told it was too far from the phone socket, and now it's near the phone socket apparently it's too far from the PC.
What, fifteen paces? Too far? Maybe their router is just a bit rubbish!
Doesn't leave us with much option really apart from a VERY long ethernet cable!

Think I'll have a word with a couple of neighbours and see whether they have problems - I know there are are a couple on BT (the laptop told me).

The stupid thing is we never had this problem with the very old, outdated adsl modem which is not compatible with the new computer!
Now I come to think about it, we didn't have the problem last week - so what's changed?

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by D-Rider » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:59 pm

HowardQ wrote: "expert" in PC World
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
The definition of Oxymoron has just reached a new level of accuracy
-- Albert Einstein

HowardQ
World Champion

#15 Post by HowardQ » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:46 pm

I did put it in quotations for a reason! :smt003
HowardQ

2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P