is your isp giving you what you pay for ?

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#31 Post by Viking » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 pm

D-Rider wrote:Quite ..... which is why I'm rather confused as to why my upload speed is so slow when I'm on cable - not ADSL.
Cable is a shared connection between 10 or so houses, whilst ADSL is a direct connection back to your ISP (via the phone exchange).

If some warez-boy happens to be on the same cable segment in your street and is busily downloading the latest 0-day warez (taking all the available bandwidth), everyone suffers.
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#32 Post by Viking » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Kwackerz wrote:Image

BT Internet
Up to 8Mbps ...

My f*cking arse!
Their advertising is correct. Your download speed is less than the stated maximum of 8Mbps. :smt005
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#33 Post by D-Rider » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:54 pm

Viking wrote:
D-Rider wrote:Quite ..... which is why I'm rather confused as to why my upload speed is so slow when I'm on cable - not ADSL.
Cable is a shared connection between 10 or so houses, whilst ADSL is a direct connection back to your ISP (via the phone exchange).

If some warez-boy happens to be on the same cable segment in your street and is busily downloading the latest 0-day warez (taking all the available bandwidth), everyone suffers.
Yeah - I know that - but surely that doesn't explain the huge gulf between download and upload speeds?
:smt017
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#34 Post by Falcopops » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:38 am

At work though

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#35 Post by D-Rider » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:21 am

Falcopops wrote:Image

At work though
Yeah I thought I'd try at work too:

Impressive upload
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

wavey
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#36 Post by wavey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:51 am

Image At Work, BTconnect Business
Dave

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#37 Post by Falcopops » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:50 am

Home one doesn't seem too bad, uploads are a bit crap though

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#38 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:06 pm

D-Rider wrote:Yeah - I know that - but surely that doesn't explain the huge gulf between download and upload speeds?
:smt017
Andy, I believe that even on cable, the service is assymmetrical; i.e. your upload speed is a fraction of download speed. This is done by throttling or traffic shaping at the ISP. This is so the ISP can manage bandwidth across lots of clients (people browsing the web) and servers (websites supplying the pages we browse).

You only get a symmetrical service if you pay for it (and believe me, you will...) Generally business users are the only ones who fork out for (and have a need for) this.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#39 Post by D-Rider » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Yeah - having seen the figures that's the conclusion I'd come to.
Bit of a con really - I remember a good few years back the comparisons of cable and ADSL going on about the asymmetric nature of ADSL and that cable did not have this constraint.
Seems that the cable companies have decided that they only have to compete with ADSL services and have snuck in their own upload throttling without bothering to tell us.
-- Albert Einstein

Samray
Double World Champion

#40 Post by Samray » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Sometimes making the smallest of changes can make a significant improvement on your broadband speeds. If you would like to increase your broadband speed you could try the following:

If your computer or broadband router is old then upgrading them may improve your performance.

If connecting wirelessly to your broadband router:
try plugging directly into your broadband router to see if there's any improvement, if there is then you could try moving the location of your router.
Make sure that your wireless connection is secure. If other people are using your connection then it will definitely slow your own broadband speed down.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#41 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:26 pm

http://www.speedtest.net/result/605360855.png

at least bt have only stated 2.5 - am happy :)

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#42 Post by Kwackerz » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Samray wrote::smt005

Did you check what the other pooters in your house were up to? :smt002

Yes
Got a phone call from BT today
sending an engineer out tomorrow afternoon to fix my line
its performing about 5% of what it should be!! They obviously took the hint
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#43 Post by Kwackerz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:57 am

Thats with the original telegraph pole juntion box to house wire replaced and some further tweaking of the line

oh and theyre sending me a new hub cos the BT guy dropped it and it wouldnt work properly..
found out the reason why later.. cos the line in needed to settle.. hub was fine..
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#44 Post by HisNibbs » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:18 am

I'm glad Kwackerz has resolved his performance issues. Maybe there is a solution somewhere for mine. Because of poor performance and for a while no ADSL communications at all, we had our lines tested recently. The outcome is that we are so far from and exchange that the signal is very weak and the standard modem did not have sufficient "gain" to communicate properly. We were supplied some alternative modems FOC and one of them was able to communicate, so I've left it at that. I had looked into a satelite system but they appear comparitively expensive.

I don't know if ther is some kind of ADSL booster or amplifier box I could fit or a vastly superior modem some one could recommend?
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#45 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:34 am

if not gaming, then maybe try mobile broadband?

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...