The Sonic Lives

The place to discuss 2-stroke motorcycles. Post your pictures, reminisce and share advice and tips.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

The Sonic Lives

#1 Post by D-Rider » Sun May 27, 2007 12:21 am

Taken a while to post up but here's my youngest son, Joe, with his Aprilia Sonic:

Falco9
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Falco9 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:33 am

Nice one Andy, won't be long before he's knicking the keys to the Falco off ya,

I've promised the boy a ped if he does well in his GCSE's, he's keen on the Gilera DNA, so I've been keeping my eyes open.

What rates did you get quoted for your son's insurance???

F9 :smt006
Last edited by Falco9 on Sun May 27, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyz1
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by paddyz1 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:47 pm

Nice one Andy. all the kid MUST follow in their fathers footsteps.....trouble is the fathers have to fix the bloody things

F9 my daughter will be selling her DNA50 soon as she wants a car. I will ask her how much. It is a 2002 model

It is the one that got robbed not so long back but is all sorted with the damaged parts replaced with new.

Falco9
Aprilia Admin

#4 Post by Falco9 » Sun May 27, 2007 1:02 pm

paddyz1 wrote:Nice one Andy. all the kid MUST follow in their fathers footsteps.....trouble is the fathers have to fix the bloody things

F9 my daughter will be selling her DNA50 soon as she wants a car. I will ask her how much. It is a 2002 model

It is the one that got robbed not so long back but is all sorted with the damaged parts replaced with new.
Thanks M8, please let me know

F9
I've spent 50% of my life riding motorcycles, the rest I've wasted!

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by D-Rider » Sun May 27, 2007 1:12 pm

paddyz1 wrote:
Yeah - Joe's Sonic had been nicked but recovered by the previous owner.
I had quite a lot to fix up to get it back on the road - but ebay's a good place to find bits and pieces - not too much had to be bought new.
Damned thing's smoking a bit now - I think it's probably running a bit rich so I'll have to play with the carb a bit.
(this is the first 2-stroke I've ever played with - always had 4-strokes myself).

paddyz1
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#6 Post by paddyz1 » Sun May 27, 2007 1:26 pm

Too much smoke, maybe the oil pump needs setting. Probably not the carb. At worst it will be the rings. How many mile has it done. Recommended rebore or new piston and rings at about 10000 miles. Piston kits will be about £30 to £40 and the rebore shouldn't be more than £25

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by D-Rider » Sun May 27, 2007 1:48 pm

paddyz1 wrote:Too much smoke, maybe the oil pump needs setting. Probably not the carb. At worst it will be the rings. How many mile has it done. Recommended rebore or new piston and rings at about 10000 miles. Piston kits will be about £30 to £40 and the rebore shouldn't be more than £25
So .... how do you set the oil pump?

It's only done about 3500 miles - so I doubt it needs a rebore. Didn't think that smoking 2 strokes were a sign of worn rings as there is no sump oil. :smt017

Anyway, all advice welcome :smt003

paddyz1
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#8 Post by paddyz1 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:05 pm

D-Rider wrote:
paddyz1 wrote:Too much smoke, maybe the oil pump needs setting. Probably not the carb. At worst it will be the rings. How many mile has it done. Recommended rebore or new piston and rings at about 10000 miles. Piston kits will be about £30 to £40 and the rebore shouldn't be more than £25
So .... how do you set the oil pump?

It's only done about 3500 miles - so I doubt it needs a rebore. Didn't think that smoking 2 strokes were a sign of worn rings as there is no sump oil. :smt017

Anyway, all advice welcome :smt003
Two much oil mixed with the petrol and you get a smoker :smt001

The throttle cable splits into two cables. One goes to the carb and the other to the oil pump. There are one or more lines on the pump rocker which line up to a mark on the casing. Throttle closed and throttle open depending on what bike /model it is.
It is really easy to do. Either have the throttle wide open and adjust the cable so that the lines match or the complete opposite. Closed throttle and adjust till the lines meet up.

Just had a look on apriliayorkshire and the pump looks different to what I have come across before. It looks fully automatic but cannot see with the way it is drawn. I will invetigate and get back to you

Here is a use and maintainance book but it does not say owt abot setting the oil /fuel ratio
http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public/lu ... Sonic%2050

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#9 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun May 27, 2007 8:03 pm

may i humbly suggest that you decoke the exhaust and clean the jets before you start throwing serious money at it??

paddyz1
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#10 Post by paddyz1 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:01 pm

Can't see the exhaust needing a decoke after 3500miles but you never know, especially if the premix pup is not set correct and is pumping too much oil into the fuel

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by D-Rider » Sun May 27, 2007 11:20 pm

paddyz1 wrote:Can't see the exhaust needing a decoke after 3500miles but you never know, especially if the premix pup is not set correct and is pumping too much oil into the fuel
Thanks chaps for the help so far. I'm assuming it's just needing a bit of setting up - at least that's what I'll try first.
I'll investigate tomorrow or Tuesday.
Thanks for the link to the user manual Paddy - however I'd already downloaded it and scored a proper brand-new paper copy off ebay for a couple of quid. Lack of workshop manual is a PITA though.

BTW Paddy what's with this premix pup .... you calling our scooter a bit of a dog?!

:smt005