Cam timing

The place to discuss classic motorbikes. Post your latest project or interesting finds.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

Cam timing

#1 Post by Kwackerz » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:35 pm

Reading thru the GPz A5 tuning link I put up, noted this little comment:
The OEM sprockets are held by a 6mm bolt in a 6,5 hole so that could be the reason for the different feel of power in different bikes, haven’t done any calculations on what the timing would be if the sprockets are of by 0.5mm either way but don’t think Kawasaki tuned the cam timing on assembly so this is a way to “blueprint” the engine.

I have to agree (i think) Half a mm of play would have a certain amount of effect upon the timing, especially when you introduce a higher RPM than found on a standard car. A very small amount of maladjustment can cause havoc with an engine, add this to a higher revving machine such as the GPz and you have a recipe for loss of power. half a mm freeplay is going to equate to a few degrees of advance or retardation at the outer extremities of the sprocket on it's own, without anything else having input into the advance/retardation. I like the idea of blueprinting at the cam timing, although 'blueprinting' is returning an engine to the manufacturer's set specs, removing inconsistencies.. that half a mil IS the set spec.. I think I'd call it refining..tuning..
But if theyre sloppy with the design there, where do we finish!? Egads, It could take a lot of time and money to create the perfect GPZ engine!
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#2 Post by Dalemac » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:15 am

never degreed my cams before. wouldnt want to do it incase i messed up. saying that, when i did my engine rebuild i noticed that the cams dont align perfectly flat with the cylinder head anyway. seems very hit and miss business if you ask me!

Dale