Non obvious future classics

The place to discuss classic motorbikes. Post your latest project or interesting finds.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

Re: Non obvious future classics

#16 Post by RiceBurner » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm

mangocrazy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:22 pm
Three Dawg wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:37 am
If they call a BSA Bantam a classic (and they do) then any old bike will become a classic at some stage.
I know what you mean; when I was a spotty yoof there was a choice between a 175cc Bantam or various lightweights from Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki. The Bantam was totally outclassed by the Japanese machinery and I never even considered it as an option. But prior to the arrival of the Japanese, the Bantam was pretty much the only game in town for anyone who wanted a cheap learner bike. So I can understand (to a point) the rose-coloured glasses view of the bike by those who cut their motorcycling teeth on one.

And don't forget that Bantam Racing is a very cost-effective way to start racing ay minimal cost...
Agreed.

Has to be said though - on tiny back roads a Bantam is a lot of fun!

Shebee
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict
Main bike: 1100 Ducati Scrambler

#17 Post by Shebee » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:26 am

I gave up on the “classic” branding when i saw a Norton jubilee described as such... they were crap when new ... 50 odd years of abuse does not improve them! Oh and my first bikes at 16 were a D1 bantam Basket case that I rebuilt and A D14/4 with todd racing head and crackle box.... i got more gravel rash bump starting that than anything else. It exploded 2 days before my 17th birthday so I bought a C70!
There is only one way of life and that's your own.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#18 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:17 pm

That was the overweight and underpowered item that was around briefly in the '60s wasn't it? As I recall, it was so slow it couldn't get out of its own way, ugly as sin and weighed not far off a 500cc. If that's a classic, I'm a banana.

Iangt750
Despatch Rider

#19 Post by Iangt750 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:29 pm

FWIW I think the BMW R1100S Randy Mamola will, if not molested, keep value and head on up.
There are a lot of Boxer Cup models around but not so many RM's.

Never had a Bantam, did have a Villiers Excelsior and then moved on and enjoyed the reliability of Japanese 1970's era.