Non obvious future classics

The place to discuss classic motorbikes. Post your latest project or interesting finds.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Post Reply
Message
Author
Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 pm
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

Non obvious future classics

#1 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:00 pm

What bikes from the past 10 years do you think will be future classics.

I'm looking for your not-so-obvious suggestions. So.. Panigale R and MV Agusta MV 1000 Blingy McWotsits are out because they're already bloomin' expensive and obvious.

I'll start with:

Gen 1 BMW S1000RR

Silver and Grey BMW R1150 GS Adventure

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Re: Non obvious future classics

#2 Post by RiceBurner » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Agree on the silver 1150 Adv.

I'd add the Yellow GS as it's a 'fun' looking bike.

I'd like to hope that the Rockster will be a classic as it wasn't a popular model when on sale, but seems to be in demand on the 2nd hand market (prices are creeping up). Time will tell.

Original 'Blades are already coveted I think, and some 'special' first-instance engineering-development bike will be insta-classics (first VTEC VFR for example) - no matter if they weren't the best riding experience.

User avatar
mangocrazy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: Non obvious future classics

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 pm

RiceBurner wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 pm
Original 'Blades are already coveted I think, and some 'special' first-instance engineering-development bike will be insta-classics (first VTEC VFR for example) - no matter if they weren't the best riding experience.
Why would anyone get misty-eyed and nostalgic about a VTEC VFR? Styled by a visual cripple, no gear driven cams (the raison d'etre of the VFR), and VTEC - something no-one ever asked for, universally panned by owners and reviewers alike and quietly dropped a few years later.. Nope, not getting that.

I know I'm biased, but I reckon that the original Aprilia Tuono is a dead cert in the classics stakes. I'd like to include the Falco, but as far as I can see they will be the perpetual Cinderella of the Rotax V60 Aprilias.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Re: Non obvious future classics

#4 Post by RiceBurner » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:30 pm

mangocrazy wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 pm
RiceBurner wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 pm
Original 'Blades are already coveted I think, and some 'special' first-instance engineering-development bike will be insta-classics (first VTEC VFR for example) - no matter if they weren't the best riding experience.
Why would anyone get misty-eyed and nostalgic about a VTEC VFR? Styled by a visual cripple, no gear driven cams (the raison d'etre of the VFR), and VTEC - something no-one ever asked for, universally panned by owners and reviewers alike and quietly dropped a few years later.. Nope, not getting that.

I know I'm biased, but I reckon that the original Aprilia Tuono is a dead cert in the classics stakes. I'd like to include the Falco, but as far as I can see they will be the perpetual Cinderella of the Rotax V60 Aprilias.
People get misty eyed and loose of wallet when Vincent Comets* are mentioned..... I rest my case.



* if you ever get the opportunity to try one, my advice is to decline, respectfully.

User avatar
katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Oxfordshire
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

Re: Non obvious future classics

#5 Post by katie1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:16 pm

I'm voting for the best bikes I've owned and then sold at a loss (as opposed to the not so good, but still sold at a loss, ones)

So, Aprilia Falco and Honda Firestorm

I've still got the Super Duke GT but I'll let you know when I've sold it for half its value!
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

User avatar
Gio
Double World Champion
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:28 pm
Location: Chertsey

Re: Non obvious future classics

#6 Post by Gio » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Honda Blackbird, prices are on the climb already, (not the unloved ones obviously). :smt001
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

User avatar
BikerGran
Gran Turismo
Posts: 3911
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:12 pm
Location: Any further south and I'd fall off!

Re: Non obvious future classics

#7 Post by BikerGran » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:12 pm

I hate to tell you Gio but the bloke who bought and restored my RXS100 sold his Blackbird so he could keep the little Yam!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Animal
Despatch Rider
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Re: Non obvious future classics

#8 Post by Animal » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:00 pm
What bikes from the past 10 years do you think will be future classics.

I'll start with:

Gen 1 BMW S1000RR

Silver and Grey BMW R1150 GS Adventure
So basically any bike I’ve owned then.

Assuming this is the case, can I add..
2003 Kwak ZX6RR
BMW HP2
BMW K1300S
Honda Africa Twin DCT aka Twinkie

Life’s too short for only one motorbike.

User avatar
Gio
Double World Champion
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:28 pm
Location: Chertsey

Re: Non obvious future classics

#9 Post by Gio » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:06 pm

BikerGran wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:12 pm
I hate to tell you Gio but the bloke who bought and restored my RXS100 sold his Blackbird so he could keep the little Yam!
Different type of bike, the RXS i a lot older.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 pm
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

Re: Non obvious future classics

#10 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm

Animal wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:07 pm

So basically any bike I’ve owned then.

Assuming this is the case, can I add..
2003 Kwak ZX6RR
I think for Kawasaki or 600 Supersports fans that 6RR is a good shout. Presumably you're talking about the B1 599cc version with the slipper clutch (?).

Animal
Despatch Rider
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Re: Non obvious future classics

#11 Post by Animal » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:55 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm
Animal wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:07 pm

So basically any bike I’ve owned then.

Assuming this is the case, can I add..
2003 Kwak ZX6RR
I think for Kawasaki or 600 Supersports fans that 6RR is a good shout. Presumably you're talking about the B1 599cc version with the slipper clutch (?).
Absolutely. Mine was a beauty (if I say so myself). Why the hell did I sell it. Plonker.
BMW HP2
BMW K1300S
Honda Africa Twin DCT aka Twinkie

Life’s too short for only one motorbike.

User avatar
mangocrazy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: Non obvious future classics

#12 Post by mangocrazy » Sat May 16, 2020 6:06 pm

I think the Suzuki GSX1000R K5 is a strong contender, that's if it hasn't already been picked up on. The best looking GSXR of the era, with the strongest motor and the last of the line with no electronic rider aids.

Post Reply