Yamaha RD350LC restoration.

The place to discuss classic motorbikes. Post your latest project or interesting finds.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

Re: Yamaha RD350LC restoration.

#76 Post by Tipper2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:07 am

19B30559-0934-480B-8006-53FAE914FCB0.jpeg
19B30559-0934-480B-8006-53FAE914FCB0.jpeg (179.28 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
That's mine finished, always wanted a "Mars Bar" LC.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#77 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:33 pm

That looks lovely, Tipper. I really like the Mars Bar colour scheme as well. Had it been an option when they first came out, I'd probably have gone for that, but in August 1980 it was a case of take what you're allocated.

The white wheels work quite well I think, but they are actually a bit scabby and need a refresh, but that can wait for winter. I'm still not sure whether to return the wheels to standard (like yours) or re-do them in white. The white wheels really do give the bike a 'lift', but they're a bugger to keep clean. Mind you, so are standard wheels. The reason I had the wheels coated white was because road salt had got at the alloy and made a right mess of them. No chance of that happening now...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#78 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:59 pm

It's been quite a while since I posted up any updates. In September, with the bike just having got its MoT, we gallivanted off to the moneypit in France for a much-delayed (by Covid) break, and stayed for a whole 5 weeks. Lovely. This meant that by the time I got back autumn was well advanced in the UK (mid October). However I did manage to get about 300 running in miles racked up and the bike now feels pretty good. It's been running in so far on premix using basic mineral two stroke oil so that rings etc. bed in quickly. When it next turns a wheel it will use the injector pump with fully synth Silkolene Comp2.

Then I can start giving it some beans... :smt003

My last ride was to Buxton and back (from Sheffield) and it brought back memories of when it was my sole transport and it got used in all weathers. Even 10 degrees is a bit on the cold side for me these days, so it got washed down, returned to the shed and had its wheels taken off and all bearings, seals, circlips, discs, brake shoes etc removed. Then the bare wheels were taken first to a local firm to have them dipped and vapour blasted and then taken over to the most excellent C J Ward in Burton on Trent to be powder coated back to as close to original as possible (I'd decided that originality was the way to go). This was just before Christmas.

A few days ago (just before the snow arrived) so did these little beauties. I'm delighted with the way they've turned out.

DSC_4894.JPG
DSC_4894.JPG (661.01 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
Now it's down to fitting tyres, inner tubes (I hate those fuckers), bearings, oil seals etc, then put the wheels back on the bike.

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#79 Post by Viking » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 am

Hot damn....
Those wheels look amazing.
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.