1st proper ride out in Townsville

Where to go, where to stay and how to get there. Share your touring tips and ask for advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

1st proper ride out in Townsville

#1 Post by Falcopops » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 am

So I've been here for a bit now, but not really had the time go out for a ride. I've met a a good few bikers round and about and one of the guys in a bike shop reckoned I should go for a bimble with him and a mate on Sunday, didn't need asking twice.

So I met up with them at 8:30 on a sunday morning (had to miss church, bugger) and it's already mid 20's.

Steve (the bloke from the bike shop) is riding 2 up with his girlie on a very sorry looking ZZR1100 and his mate Wayne is on a newish 1250 Bandit thingy.

I've been warned that there are few good biking roads nearby and how true. T'was good to get out for a run and we went to Charlies Trousers (Charters Towers) which was a nice little town and we saw some nice scenery and got hot. Went to a pub in the middle of nowhere, bought a beer and got a huge lunch for free, it was hot there too.

There was only one set of corners on the route worth speaking of, but since they have to accommodate road trains they are pretty wide. It's at this point Steve (two up mind) pins it and hoofs off. Bugger that I thought and wound up the wick too. So all's well and I'm catching up, but not easily. Steve's got the Kwak on its ear, his mrs must be brave/trusting/catatonic. That's whenI decided to have quick peek at the speedo. Wish I hadn't really as there were lots of numbers and the front one was a two. Still it was fun so we did the same on the way back.

When we got back to town we went our separate ways, but I didn't fancy getting off just yet, so I aimed for a road that Steve reckoned was a 200kph fest forever. I got there and the 1st 3 bends were awesome, wide open lots of room (bugger all runoff) nice surface, nobody else in sight. Unfortunately that was it. I carried on for a good while hoping for more of the same, but to get any decent angles of dangle I was getting faster and faster.

Now this is a two lane road posted speed 100 or 110 kph in the countryside and I'm laying on the tank all tucked in top gear throttle at the stop trying to get a decent lean on. I realised after a bit that there was only one likely out come so I slowed up and stopped, but just before I headed back home at a more sedate pace I pressed the "B" button. VMAX=240kph, so I've been spanking along this country road at 150mph, thank fark I decided to hang it up when I did.

I really must get my head around this new fangled metricalous system before I get into trouble!

HowardQ
World Champion

#2 Post by HowardQ » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:43 pm

You're a seriously bad lad Dale! :smt018 :smt009

Nice to see you are getting to know your new home town.
Trouble is when you get to go that quick for a while it's boring!
Not maxxed out any of my bikes or cars for years now, fastest on a bike was same speed as you early one Sunday morning on a very empty rural dual carriageway, which was not too long, so knew there was no chance of holding it flat out.
This added to the thrill as all the initial excitment is accelleration, then watching the 3 digit numbers go up, and decided to have a go for 1.5, then in my case throwing the anchor out when it got to that magic figure before the road went back to single carriageway again!
Not another car or bike in sight, just me on the old CBR Thou!
It is even less fun in a car, as it all happens much more slowly.
Last time was on a German Autobarn years ago and I was in my old Peugeot 405 MI-16 (180bhp) 4WD. There was a young German bloker in a V6 Calibra, which came past looking for a play. (I expect the What's a 405 MI-16? Whats a V6 Calibra?)
I just put my foot down and you get initial shove into lower 3 figures then it is a gradual build up after that and it seems to take ages, eventuall I sat not too close behind him both flat with 140 on the clock until I saw signs for the border control coming up and backed off, but there was no real sense of excitement, (just the wife saying SLOW DOWN).
The thrill with a big bike is that you can hit quite silly speeds very quickly over a short distance.
I would never risk it flat out these days, the Kwack should do 175, but all you want is for the police chopper to clock you at that, and you will be eating prison food for a long time.
So I'll stick to shorter bursts!
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by DavShill » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Well done Dale. The throttle twist both ways as they say. Glad to hear you're still getting the falco out. Stay safe.

Samray
Double World Champion

#4 Post by Samray » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:50 pm

poof! :smt020
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.