Nordkapp July 2017

Where to go, where to stay and how to get there. Share your touring tips and ask for advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Nordkapp July 2017

#1 Post by DavShill » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Here is a brief summary of an epic trip. If you ever get the chance to ride in Scandinavia just take it. Norway is especially awesome.

We took 17 days and sailed from Hull to Rotterdam, tea time ferry so you wake up, have breakfast and start riding.
We decided to get to the Nordkapp as quickly as possible which meant approx 2600 mile in 5 days. Motorways until half way through day 4. Rotterdam into Germany (turn left at Hamburg) and into Denmark. Overnight in Odense then across the bridges and tunnels into Sweden. Next night just north of Stockholm (cabin). Up the eastern edge of Sweden following the E10. 3rd night camping. turn left at Tore following the E10 and across the border into Finland. 4th night wild camping by a lake in Finland. 5th day crossed the Arctic Circle in Finland (very understated) and on to Skarsvag, our cabin just a few Klms from Nordkapp.

Worsts bit was the the first day and a half through germany and Denmark until North of Stockholm. Temps were in the mid to high 20 degrees and really heavy traffic round Hamburg.
Denmark is very very boring, Sweden is lovely and the people very welcoming, even their motorways are very scenic, hugging the coast. The further north you go the scenery changes to natural Birch forest and you feel like you are riding through an endless corridor of trees. Finland felt very remote and bleak. Very underdeveloped with the locals living an almost subsistence farming existence.
The crossing of the Arctic Circle was weird. It was so warm and there was no fuss or fanfare, just a small compass globe and a very low key information board and some flags. we were the only ones there.
The final day into Norway and on to the furthest point was truly amazing. the scenery is just breathtaking. Once across the tundra of Lapland towards the coast it gets very rugged. Flat calm sea and imposing coastline.
our stop for the night was a cabin in Skarsvag, a small fishing community just short of the Nordkapp. very beautiful and peaceful.
We had a meal then went rode on to the Nordkapp to see the midnight sun. We were very lucky and had great weather. However it was like bloody Blackpool. So many people and dozens of coach tours. There is a huge (but interesting) visitor centre, and the usual cafe and souvenir shop.
So here are some pics. The last two were taken at about 12.30am. Thats as dark as it got. It didn't get dark for 10 days !!!
We then had 11 days to tour through Norway heading South. (to follow)

Last edited by DavShill on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#2 Post by Greg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Looks like you had an epic trip - nicely done!
You don't get a warm-up lap for life...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Fantastic stuff - certainly the road less travelled. Did you prepare your own food or dine out? I imagine the local food is a bit different to our normal fare.

fatboy
World Champion

#4 Post by fatboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 pm

that sounds amazing, just wish I could see your pics
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by DavShill » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:25 pm

We camped or cabins most of the time. Carried plenty of dried or vacuum packed camp food. eating out was very expensive and any alchohol also (burger and chips and a pint of lager say £40 !!)
Did eat Moose and Reindeer. Moose was lovely but Reindeer a bit too rich and "gamie" for me.
Supermarket prices were not too bad so we stocked up on fruit and cereal bars regularly.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Nordkapp July 2017

#6 Post by DavShill » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Homeward bound. 11 days to ride down the Atlantic coast. we headed inland to see a friend of one of the lads and also to see the lake and power station that featured in heroes of Telemark. many high points of the ride, Fjords, ferry crossings, mountain passes, wild camping, too many to mention.
A selection of pics:

Gio
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Gio » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 pm

What a fantastic trip, sadly no longer riding a motorbike and I imagine it'd be at least a 7 or 8 week trip by bicycle, so something thats not likely to happen.
TBO I'm jealous.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#8 Post by BikerGran » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Sadly can't see your photos but it sounds wonderful. When I was still riding I was planning to visit my nephew who lives and works in Sweden - he told me Denmark was boring too!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.