France/Spain trip - Updated with Pics

Where to go, where to stay and how to get there. Share your touring tips and ask for advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#16 Post by DavShill » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Yes, I always carry one under the seat for is case of breakdown/emergency.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#17 Post by flatlander » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Electrical tape that's good stuff to take to seal indicator joints eyc and emergency repairs if on the ferry an old tea towel or tshiet between the tank bag and the tank so that when they strap it down you jam it between the strap and the bike to avoid the muppet who can't be bothered looking for the it bag jobby scratching your bike
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

robbier6
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#18 Post by robbier6 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:46 pm

Dav,

i'm off to see family in southern france just south of cahors,

i'm doing the overnight ferry to st malo, then there to poitiers for a break then the next day from there to saint antonin noble val which is north of carcassone

i came down via the A20 of at junction 53 onto the D820 and from nespouls all the way to caussade, it's a very good road.

i do have a route planned but can't seem to upload the full route but i've avoided tolls and highways.
the route is st malo-st georges sur loire to poitiers to perigueux to cahors. if you're interested i can mail you the routes.

hope this gives some ideas for a route and have a great time.

one thing i'm curious about...do bike headlights dip to one side? i was always under the impression that motorcycle headlight was set up in a different way to a cars, with the emphasis on spreading the beam rather than deflecting it to pick out the kerb? maybe i'm wrong.
have to admit i didn't put a beam deflector on last year.
Last edited by robbier6 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#19 Post by DavShill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks Rob. All recommendations appreciated. Route planning will be starting very soon.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#20 Post by DavShill » Thu May 19, 2016 8:32 am

Heading off on Saturday - back in about a month. I'll see you at Blinkey's mid-year meet in June.
:smt006

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#21 Post by HisNibbs » Thu May 19, 2016 10:33 am

lucky bug...r
:smt002
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#22 Post by DavShill » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:20 pm

A bit late but here are some pics of the trip. Just under 4000 miles in four weeks. 5 nights with family in Serena near Almeria and three nights by lake Annecy. other stops were one or two nights. We re-planned our homeward journey after realising I'd been too ambitious with the daily mileages. Some of the outward days were too long.

Advice about Llieda was correct, thank you and we re-planned that stop over and stayed in a lovely hostel/hotel in a small village.

overall, a brill trip.

Pas de la Casa crossing the Pyrenees into Spain

Home for a week in Serena

Some very basic off roading in the hills around the house

Heading home. South of Seu D'Urgell heading to Carcassonne

Arras market place., Stopped here on the way to Calais to pay respects to Great Uncle George who fell in the Arras Offensive in 1917. His body was not recovered but his name appears on the memorial along with the names of 35000 other lost souls.

Met this guy on the train home. He left Argentina 2 years ago. He'd put 250k miles on his first GS around North and South Americas. Then ordered a new one to be kitted out and collected in Munich for the next 2 year leg around the world. His wife was still smiling !!!