North Wales - pics

Where to go, where to stay and how to get there. Share your touring tips and ask for advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

North Wales - pics

#1 Post by DavShill » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi All - Planning a summer holiday route to Wells in Somerset but the idea is to head across the M62 and do a 2 day tour through North and South Wales to get to Wells in Somerset.

So I can lots of lovely riding in Wales but my question is this, having got across country to Chester, what recommendations do you have from Chester to Betws-y-Coed.

Is the coast road to Colwyn bay any good or do we go across country to Mold, Denbigh Bylchau etc?

Any ideas?
Last edited by DavShill on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:22 pm

When I lived in Chester I preferred the inland roads

Was a long time ago though!

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#3 Post by flatlander » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:49 pm

If by coast road you mean the A 55 then it is what it is a big long dual carriageway for the most part. The inland roads are still beautiful and can be combined with some interesting if not odd detours.
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#4 Post by DavShill » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:32 pm

I was looking at the A 548 that hugs the coastline and runs through Prestatyn and Rhyl. I'm guessing it will be busy with cars and caravans so I think I'll plot the inland route. We will have been on the motorway for a couple of hours just to get across to Chester. Plan to be at Chester by approx. 11am so it gives us the rest of the day to get to Caernarfon for an overnight stop before picking a route South the next day.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#5 Post by Firestarter » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:53 pm

I like the Bala road. If it were me, I'd go Mold, Ruthin, Bala, Trawsfynydd, then head up the coast to Porthmadog then on to Caernarfon.. Course, if you're heading south the next day, you might end up doubling back on yourself a bit
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Firestarter wrote:I like the Bala road. If it were me, I'd go Mold, Ruthin, Bala, Trawsfynydd, then head up the coast to Porthmadog then on to Caernarfon.. Course, if you're heading south the next day, you might end up doubling back on yourself a bit
+1

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#7 Post by DavShill » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:18 pm

ha ha I had your bit from Bala already planned for day two. It's coming together nicely now thank everybody. just praying for dry weather so we don't have to go in the car.

I must admit I lulled Jules into a false sense security with last years trip in France with wall to wall sunshine from the minute we left our house!!

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#8 Post by BikerGran » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:04 pm

No need to double back,

A4086 Capel Curig, A5 Oswestry, A483 Welshpool, A490 Churchstoke (with an obligatory stop at Harry Tuffins - ask Mart!), A489 to Cheney Longeville, A49/A4137/A40 Monmouth, A466 down the Wye Valley cos it's beautiful, Chepstow, M48 Severn Bridge, then you have to get through or round Bristol somehow and on to Wells.

A49 is a great road for the most part, and A466 is very picturesque.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#9 Post by Firestarter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:27 pm

+1 for A49, runs near my house and was my route to Mart's meet, good for making swift progress while still having a lot of fun. Also the Raven cafe at Whitchurch if you want to stop off - never been myself, but was packed out last time I passed

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#10 Post by flatlander » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Raven is good honest truck stop and bike haven also has a chippy next door
A49 is a great road and Harry ruffians is proper red neck but great. Plus you have Firestarter me and mart on that route if you have any issues. :)
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#11 Post by HisNibbs » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:36 pm

flatlander wrote:Raven is good honest truck stop and bike haven also has a chippy next door
A49 is a great road and Harry ruffians is proper red neck but great. Plus you have Firestarter me and mart on that route if you have any issues. :)
So there's a thing, you'll not be wanting any "issues" now would you boyo? Said in my best welsh accent
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

blinkey501
World Champion

#12 Post by blinkey501 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:19 am

I have been on the roads around Snowdon, but not on the bike. These roads are lovely with loads of scenery.
You will pass the old slate quarrys heading up to pen-y=pas?
I would divert and use some of these roads if you have not planned too.
I must get out into wales on the bike sometime.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#13 Post by Firestarter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:57 am

blinkey501 wrote:I must get out into wales on the bike sometime.
There was a guy looked a lot like you, on a white Falco, blasting round Wales a few weeks ago...

https://www.ridersite.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=49

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#14 Post by DavShill » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:08 am

Thanks everyone - so many good roads and so little time!

BG - some great tips there, I was planning to do the Wye Valley Chepstow bit before crossing the Severn cos it looks amazing.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#15 Post by BikerGran » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:37 am

It won't disappoint!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.