France Tour

Where to go, where to stay and how to get there. Share your touring tips and ask for advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

France Tour

#1 Post by DavShill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Well I know we wanted good weather but it really was a bit too hot at times especially when stopped to do some sightseeing. A great trip nevertheless and Jules played a blinder packing clothes for a 12 day trip into 3 boxes. I did manage to persuade her that she didn't need three pairs of shoes and hair drier!

So the route was:
Kent overnight with family - Friday afternoon queuing for the Dartford Crossing was a drag.
Then on to Rouen on Saturday, then Chartres for two nights, Bourges for 2 nights, Tours for 2 nights then one night each at Le Mans, Avranches (near Mnt St Michel), Deauville, Le Touquet then home. - 1800 miles in total.

Bike was amazingly comfortable and performed superbly. Longest day was the final run home from Le Touquet to Beverley approx. 300 miles (via the Barge at Newark).

So here's a few pics

[URL=http://s116.photobucket.com/user/d ... .jpg[/img]

lots of highlights - see the Tour De France so close up - we were 50 metres from the finish line but Cavendish failed by half a wheel - you have to see it to appreciate how fast those guys ride.

Then the Normandy beaches. The USA cemetery was very moving but I learnt so much about the period of the war - I had no awareness of the temporary harbour masterminded by Churchill at Aramanche. building concrete sections in Britain and floating them over to create a harbour the size of a thousand football pitches.

A really good trip, great food and wine, caught some live music at the Bourges Jazz festival, friendly biker types all over the place and a warm welcome at all the hotels.
[/url]

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#2 Post by Falco Frank » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Good write up and pics, looks like a blast.

Triumph looks such a good allrounder, been sorely tempted by one myself.

Textiles with removable linings are a good choice for riding in hot climbs I feel (I've used Halvarrsons in 40°C)

I plan to use the word 'good' in each sentence - LOL

Good Health - Frank
Last edited by Falco Frank on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
01 Hyper Falco / 93 - 900ss Ducati (944cc)

My Ducati Alter-ego = Iconic944ss

blinkey501
World Champion

#3 Post by blinkey501 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:14 am

Nice pictures dave. Looks like you had a really good time. I must get over to the south of france myself now I have a futura.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Dusty
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#4 Post by Dusty » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:06 am

That looks fantastic, Dave, and you are so lucky that your other half will accompany you. My last trip to Europe on a motorcycle was in 1982 and it was a fantastic experience which has been on my mind a lot recently after my mate, who accompanied me then, passed away last week. So, I really need to get my act together and do it again. Every time I go in a car, I wish I was on the bike, but there is no way that my wife will go anywhere on it. In fact, she won't even sit on it when it's parked in the drive and I'm sure stifles a yawn every time I wax lyrical about bikes!
Last edited by Dusty on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by DavShill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks Dusty - Yes I am lucky that Jules enjoys the bike. I must admit I was apprehensive about a two week trip but we had a few days when we were off the bike completely and some days we only did short mileages. I like it because it's a totally different riding experience, slower, more relaxed, more time to take in the sights and smells as you bimble through the countryside.

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#6 Post by Falco Frank » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:50 am

Itchy feet / throttle now after re-reading that :smt003

Just realised I didnt put my Italy write-up on here - I'll go and dig it out.

Tally-Ho
01 Hyper Falco / 93 - 900ss Ducati (944cc)

My Ducati Alter-ego = Iconic944ss