New Clutch Slave Cylinder

General Aprilia banter

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

New Clutch Slave Cylinder

#1 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 am

Over the past 4 months one of the falco's I look after has been trialling a new clutch slave cylinder

This is being developed by http://www.motopike.com/ - and here are my thoughts on it

To start with, let's consider what alternatives there are, and more specifically, why change it?

On the big rotax engined aprilias the clutch is quite stiff - and many people find it quite hard work especially for town use. Buying a set of adjustable levers can help a bit but - there are after market slave cylinders that make the clutch a lot lighter to use.

Probably the best known one is made by MPL a german based company, that works well; I have used one for several years and rate them highly. Unfortunately mine has just started to leak and this is a return to MPL job and that will cost 49 euros....

I have heard very good reports of the Oberon part - indeed I am aware of some companies that keep a few in stock as they do perform well.

For our friends over the pond, I believe that evoluzzione also do a replacement - I have not seen or used one myself

So how does the Motopike part stack up?

Initial thoughts on the part were very favourable - for a beta or testbed part the finish was very good - the unit had been anodised in a bright gold colour and very nicely finished.
The fit was straight forward - on the falco you will need a tuono sprocket cover but the part fits well, and in this colour certainly looks bling.... Let's face it we all like a bit of bling ! (Adam from Motopike has told me that there will likely be a choice of colours)
Bleeding the clutch was straightforward using Kzmille's guide

The immediate effect of the fitting was how light the clutch felt, and due to the lightness the clutch could be slipped easily - gear changes were now very smooth

The bike that the part has been fitted too has done around 3000 miles and that has a been a mixture of short fun runs and the odd tour - the clutch has had no issues, leaks or other problems.

The finish has remained intact and it still looks very good.

So - the final thought - a very nice piece of kit. I think that this is as good, or possibly even better than the MPL and if the pricing is where I believe it will be, it may well be the first choice for an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder

I have no idea when the part will become available, but I would suggest that those interested drop Motopike an email

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by D-Rider » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:09 am

As I said on the other place you posted this ...............

Do you have any details of what the Moto-Pikey one is like inside?
I think the Evo version is reportedly much more reliable than the MPL due to having multiple seals. It would be interesting to know whether this one has similar advantages.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#3 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 pm

I have linked these threads to Adam so he can see the comments

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:I have linked these threads to Adam so he can see the comments
Oh No ! ..... when I wrote "Moto-Pikey" it was just a slip of the typing finger .... honest .....

:smt053 :smt053 :smt053
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Samray
Double World Champion

#5 Post by Samray » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:39 pm

:smt005
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#6 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:50 pm

I know mate

And rest assured that even if you edit it, we will just edit it back

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by D-Rider » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:00 pm

.... wonder if I'll get away with it having bought things from them in the past ? .................

Probably not
-- Albert Einstein

HowardQ
World Champion

#8 Post by HowardQ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:54 pm

I'm sure they will.
Probably just burn you once!
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Evoluzione

#9 Post by MartDude » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:17 pm

From AF1 Fut Forum

"Evoluzione is gone. Af1 still sells seals for it, but the company closed its' doors a year ago"

Don't know if anyone else here has the Evo clutch slave.
Just e-mailed AF1 to see if they do have any seals (and sea-lions, manatees, walruses, etc. - preempting Andy here) left; not that I need one right now, but it would be a good precautionary measure to get one or two while/if they're still available. I don't know how many miles mine's been on the bike - was fitted when I bought it - but it's still fine after nearly 19,000 miles.

BTW - any updates on the Motopike clutch slave's performance?
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Cathcart
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#10 Post by Cathcart » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Interesting... I'm in the market for a clutch slave, more than likely an Oberon but if these have stood the test of time I may be interested...
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life".
Marco Simoncelli.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by MartDude » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Re the Motopike - do they have the bleed facility, like the Oberon?
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by D-Rider » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:23 am

MartDude wrote:Re the Motopike - do they have the bleed facility, like the Oberon?
:smt017 Don't they all have the facility to bleed them?
MartDude wrote:"Evoluzione is gone. Af1 still sells seals for it, but the company closed its' doors a year ago"
Yes shame Ken Zeller had his problems and had to close the business - Evoluzione really made some great stuff and their clutch slaves did look to be the best with their multiple seal strategy etc.
My MPL is still working well but I do feel that it's the poor relative of the Evo variant.
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#13 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:43 am

The motopike one worked well

Did over 5000 miles with no issues

Paint/ finish remained good

Worth it imho

Cathcart
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#14 Post by Cathcart » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:36 am

Their website only shows the factory racing ones. Although, it has now been bookmarked, seems an ok site...
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life".
Marco Simoncelli.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by MartDude » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:15 pm

D-Rider wrote:
MartDude wrote:Re the Motopike - do they have the bleed facility, like the Oberon?
:smt017 Don't they all have the facility to bleed them?
I was referring to this :

"note that the Aprilia Slave Cylinder is mounted ‘off the upright position’ and therefore benefi ts from the
assistance of the Oberon Bleed® System to expel all air."

Never having had the need to fiddle with my slave, I've no idea if this feature is unique, or does what it claims to do.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign