Hmmm ..... this is interesting .....

https://www.moto-abruzzo.net/aprilia-ca ... apo-lives/

.... and this .....

https://www.moto-abruzzo.net/2017/no1-c ... dashboard/

.... and this .....

https://www.moto-abruzzo.net/repaired/

.... and this .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsUnZxsY_L4

.... and this from AF1 with pics of split bearing and encoder ring ....

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... man!/page3
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

blinkey501
World Champion

#17 Post by blinkey501 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:46 pm

D-Rider wrote:
fatboy wrote:
D-Rider wrote:
blinkey501 wrote:I have a spare. So I'm sorted. :smt003
..... you can really go off people :smt011

TBH the concern over the lack of a spare king bearing is the biggest thing stopping me spending much on improving the Fut.
That doesn't mean I have no plans but I worry that it'll all go pear-shaped if the bearing gives up.
Perhaps you need to cast your nets further than our bonny shores.
Are Futs popular in the good ol' US of A ?
All the parts are available over there for the home mechanic to repair a Falc water pump but alas over here you can buy the parts but need access to an engineering shop to assemble the parts
I have been looking worldwide .... and I do know where there is one.
Ridiculous price but may be that I need to dig very deep.
Need to work out how to avoid import duty at very least.
Drop the bike off Andy.
I can strip/Grease/Re assemble the king bearing for you?
Tolerance will be our undoing.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#18 Post by D-Rider » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:34 am

blinkey501 wrote:
D-Rider wrote:
fatboy wrote:
D-Rider wrote:

TBH the concern over the lack of a spare king bearing is the biggest thing stopping me spending much on improving the Fut.
That doesn't mean I have no plans but I worry that it'll all go pear-shaped if the bearing gives up.
All the parts are available over there for the home mechanic to repair a Falc water pump but alas over here you can buy the parts but need access to an engineering shop to assemble the parts
Drop the bike off Andy.
Cheers Jay - very kind offer but I'll get round to going over these things in due course.
Just about to have a new garage/workshop built - so that'll make maintenance easier.
I think the Fut is going to have to be SORNed for a couple of months anyway.
I've hit the same problem with you re insurance - the company deciding to move out of the bike market and the £50 cover for the second bike disappearing. Current best quote for it is 5 times that - I guess that's because I only have 1 year NCD on that one as I only bought it last year.
I'm thinking I'll have to wait until the Autumn when the Falco insurance comes up and use the max NCD on that one to start a new multibike insurance for both.
It's a right con the way they tie NCD to one bike and I'm supposedly such a higher risk to them on the Fut than the Falco.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#19 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:56 am

Well that's a blow.

The King Bearing I've been watching has gone up in price today ..... now over £200 MORE than yesterday.

It was more expensive than I wanted to pay before .... which is why I was umm-ing and ah-ing ..... £200 price-hike kills it.
-- Albert Einstein

old git
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#20 Post by old git » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Believe someone somewhere used to say
'he who hesitates is lost'.
Hiding under a carpet of grey hair & lard.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#21 Post by D-Rider » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:39 am

old git wrote:Believe someone somewhere used to say
'he who hesitates is lost'.
Yeah but there is the ancient saying that goes:

"He who spends 25% of what they paid for the bike on a single bearing for which they have no immediate need, is a braver and more wealthy man than me"

Sadly that 25% has now become 37.5% .......
-- Albert Einstein

blinkey501
World Champion

#22 Post by blinkey501 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 am

D-Rider wrote:
blinkey501 wrote:
D-Rider wrote:
fatboy wrote:
D-Rider wrote:

Drop the bike off Andy.
Cheers Jay - very kind offer but I'll get round to going over these things in due course.
Just about to have a new garage/workshop built - so that'll make maintenance easier.
I think the Fut is going to have to be SORNed for a couple of months anyway.
I've hit the same problem with you re insurance - the company deciding to move out of the bike market and the £50 cover for the second bike disappearing. Current best quote for it is 5 times that - I guess that's because I only have 1 year NCD on that one as I only bought it last year.
I'm thinking I'll have to wait until the Autumn when the Falco insurance comes up and use the max NCD on that one to start a new multibike insurance for both.
It's a right con the way they tie NCD to one bike and I'm supposedly such a higher risk to them on the Fut than the Falco.
Ive used Bemoto as an alternative Andy. They do multibike policies. :smt002

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#23 Post by D-Rider » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Thanks Jay.

I'll be looking for multibike when the Falco comes up - that's the one with the max NCD
-- Albert Einstein

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#24 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Well time moves on and things start to resolve themselves:
D-Rider wrote: I've hit the same problem with you re insurance - the company deciding to move out of the bike market and the £50 cover for the second bike disappearing. Current best quote for it is 5 times that - I guess that's because I only have 1 year NCD on that one as I only bought it last year.
I found a better quote .... still 3 times what I paid last year but I'll cash it in in the autumn when I can start a new multibike policy using the Falco's maximum NCD ..... so the Futura is still on the road.
D-Rider wrote:Well that's a blow.

The King Bearing I've been watching has gone up in price today ..... now over £200 MORE than yesterday.

It was more expensive than I wanted to pay before .... which is why I was umm-ing and ah-ing ..... £200 price-hike kills it.
The £200 price hike went away .... and also the exchange rate improved a bit - so I decided to buy it while I could .... a bit of an investment / insurance policy.
I am now the owner of a King Bearing.

So:
D-Rider wrote:Ridiculous price but may be that I need to dig very deep.
Tick ! .... dug deep but not as deep as I thought I would have to
D-Rider wrote: Need to work out how to avoid import duty at very least.
Tick ! ..... and shipping too

There's going to be a bit of a wait 'till I get it in my grubby hands but all good :smt003
-- Albert Einstein

blinkey501
World Champion

#25 Post by blinkey501 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:24 am

D-Rider wrote:Well time moves on and things start to resolve themselves:
D-Rider wrote: I've hit the same problem with you re insurance - the company deciding to move out of the bike market and the £50 cover for the second bike disappearing. Current best quote for it is 5 times that - I guess that's because I only have 1 year NCD on that one as I only bought it last year.
I found a better quote .... still 3 times what I paid last year but I'll cash it in in the autumn when I can start a new multibike policy using the Falco's maximum NCD ..... so the Futura is still on the road.
D-Rider wrote:Well that's a blow.

The £200 price hike went away .... and also the exchange rate improved a bit - so I decided to buy it while I could .... a bit of an investment / insurance policy.
I am now the owner of a King Bearing.

So:
D-Rider wrote:Ridiculous price but may be that I need to dig very deep.
Tick ! .... dug deep but not as deep as I thought I would have to
D-Rider wrote: Need to work out how to avoid import duty at very least.
Tick ! ..... and shipping too

There's going to be a bit of a wait 'till I get it in my grubby hands but all good :smt003
I looked at buying an exhaust for one of the bikes from the US.

The import duty adds insult to injury. It's not good. :smt012

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#26 Post by D-Rider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 am

blinkey501 wrote:

An exhaust would be too big ..... but a little bearing in luggage :smt002
-- Albert Einstein

blinkey501
World Champion

#27 Post by blinkey501 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:11 pm

D-Rider wrote:
blinkey501 wrote:

An exhaust would be too big ..... but a little bearing in luggage :smt002
True.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#28 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:38 pm

I brought back 4 pistons, rings and gudgeon pins, a starter motor, electronic ignition kit, high performance coil, core plugs, gaskets and other sundries for my Lancia Beta in my hand luggage last time I returned from the US. US customs had inspected some of the items, but I went through UK customs without any problems.

Some years ago I brought a Pioneer DJ Mixer back from Singapore and saved about a third of the UK purchase price. Definitely worth a punt.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Re: The last king bearing?

#29 Post by D-Rider » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 am

KitchenSync wrote:........ He told me to look after my king bearing as he just sold the last one! Not sure if he meant THE last one... but he's like Indian Jones for finding obsolete parts so you can be pretty sure there aren't many out there any more.
I'm pretty sure it was his last one rather than the last one.

I bought one last week from AF1 last week. After that, their live stock status showed none in stock and it would take 6-8 weeks (or something like that) to re order.
That has since been updated to show "Special Order: Arrives at our Warehouse in 5-7 Business Days"

So it looks as though they are still available .... at a price.
-- Albert Einstein

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#30 Post by Dalemac » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Does the futura measure the speed from the rear wheel bolts like the falco?