Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

Loving the Futura!

#1 Post by katie1 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Ok, the title pretty much says it all :smt003

Have done a few hundred miles now (mostly commuting) and am mega impressed with both the handling and the comfort. Makes my VFR feel a bit harsh!

Managed to pcik up a tear in the rear tyre so have replaced that but the BT023's do such a lovely job I just put a new one of those on. Only about a ton cheaper than the Metzler Roadtec 01 :smt009

One question (so far). What's the plug socket on the dash? Is it a power supply with a weird connector or something a little more prosaic? :smt017
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by D-Rider » Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 am

Well as a Futura newbie myself, I concur that the Futura is a great bike. Lovely and comfy and although I haven't had the chance to do any long trips, it'll clearly eat up the miles.
Handling is a noticeable step down from the Falco .... but then I'm comparing it with a somewhat fettled Falco - so maybe with a bit of work, the gap will be closer.
I've noticed that the power delivery is much more gentle than the Falco - but I guess that's how it should be - different characteristics for different tasks .... and were they the same, why would I have both?
Yes, I love both of my Aprilias.

What plug socket do you have on the dash? - I've not got one.
On the right hand panel next to the clocks, there is a circle that appears to be a knock out for a car cigarette lighter socket. I'm thinking I may fit a USB connector there.

Oh yes .... the other thing that annoys me is that with the standard exhaust, it sounds like a lawnmower whereas my Falco is visceral in its bark.
I'm going to have to sort that out (before I have to empty the bucket of grass clippings).
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#3 Post by katie1 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 am

D-Rider wrote:Well as a Futura newbie myself, I concur that the Futura is a great bike. Lovely and comfy and although I haven't had the chance to do any long trips, it'll clearly eat up the miles.
Handling is a noticeable step down from the Falco .... but then I'm comparing it with a somewhat fettled Falco - so maybe with a bit of work, the gap will be closer.
I've noticed that the power delivery is much more gentle than the Falco - but I guess that's how it should be - different characteristics for different tasks .... and were they the same, why would I have both?
Yes, I love both of my Aprilias.

What plug socket do you have on the dash? - I've not got one.
On the right hand panel next to the clocks, there is a circle that appears to be a knock out for a car cigarette lighter socket. I'm thinking I may fit a USB connector there.

Oh yes .... the other thing that annoys me is that with the standard exhaust, it sounds like a lawnmower whereas my Falco is visceral in its bark.
I'm going to have to sort that out (before I have to empty the bucket of grass clippings).

Handling-wise I think I'm a bit lucky there as I've got Tweaker's old bike with the Mille forks. Handles at least as well as my Falco used to and stops nicely too :smt003

Also got the Zorstec cans on so no need to empty the clippings :smt005

Agree the engine characteristics are very different but it definitely feels very well-mannered in terms of v-twin power , just when you want it (rather than those charming SURPRISE moments half-way round a bend :smt012 )

Will have to take a piccie of the socket internals, that might shed some light.

Oh, if anypne ever needs a Bagster cover, search ebay for

tapis de reservoir

Searching in French saves about £40!

:smt004
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am

Yes - Tweaker will have sorted it well.
Great to hear the handling can be improved - I've the Marzocchi forks that were in my Falco before I fitted the Ohlins to that .... and I have a spare Ohlins shock that can find its way into the Futura. Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to find time to fettle the bikes at the moment.

Before I change the cans, I may well fit one of these to replace the "bread box" under the engine. Apparently they help the sound.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOMINATOR-DE ... aipdv#rwid

My Falco fuelling was sorted out a while back when I fitted a Gabro chip - very well mannered in corners now and more "oomph" to boot.

Would be good to see a pic of your socket - sounds interesting and would be good to work out what it is.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

fatboy
World Champion

#5 Post by fatboy » Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Good to hear your are both happy with your new rides :smt003
Have recently seen a Fut parked up in Bath, must remember to leave a note and groom the owner
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

old git
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#6 Post by old git » Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm

D-Rider wrote:Yes - Tweaker will have sorted it well.
Great to hear the handling can be improved - I've the Marzocchi forks that were in my Falco before I fitted the Ohlins to that .... and I have a spare Ohlins shock that can find its way into the Futura. Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to find time to fettle the bikes at the moment.

Before I change the cans, I may well fit one of these to replace the "bread box" under the engine. Apparently they help the sound.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOMINATOR-DE ... aipdv#rwid

My Falco fuelling was sorted out a while back when I fitted a Gabro chip - very well mannered in corners now and more "oomph" to boot.

Would be good to see a pic of your socket - sounds interesting and would be good to work out what it is.
If you go with the dominator de-cat, be prepared for a higher level of hearing protection, put one on a few months back, v.loud on start up, but I like it.
Hiding under a carpet of grey hair & lard.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by mangocrazy » Wed May 23, 2018 8:29 pm

I've always liked the Fut, but it's the extra poundage over the Falco that puts me off. How much heavier is a Fut compared to a Falco?

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#8 Post by katie1 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 pm

mangocrazy wrote:I've always liked the Fut, but it's the extra poundage over the Falco that puts me off. How much heavier is a Fut compared to a Falco?
In terms of riding, bugger all. In terms of comparing to the VFR, feels like a 125 :smt003

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by D-Rider » Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 am

mangocrazy wrote:I've always liked the Fut, but it's the extra poundage over the Falco that puts me off. How much heavier is a Fut compared to a Falco?
The workshop manuals quote the following "Fully fueled with fluids" figures:
  • Falco: 222kg
    Futura: 235kg
.... but as Katie says, in the real world you'll not really notice.

The thing that should bother you more is the price of the special rear hub king-bearing - should you ever need one.
-- Albert Einstein

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Plug thingy

#10 Post by katie1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Ok, Fut stuff.

Oil

A question I thought I'd never have to ask again but, is checking the oil level the same as in the handbook or does it have the same mythical technique as the Falco? Have just topped up 500ml but not a sign of it?
Oh, used the 15/50 I had left over from the last Falco but any thoughts on going with 10/40 when it's changed next?

Coolant.

You have to be joking. Couldn't see any sign in the sight level 'cos my vision doesn't work round corners in the dark. Topped up but now seems over the max limit. Guessing the worse it will do is spill out somewhere if there's too much?

Plug socket on the dash.

This is it! Any ideas what it would/could power?

http://s995.photobucket.com/user/bigfat ... how/Futura

old git
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#11 Post by old git » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:53 pm

My plug socket has powered the sat-nav, charged the phone and also powered a heated jacket, although that was a low pawer version.
Think all the usual stuff should be OK.
I use 15/50 in mine and the Falco for preference.

As for the oil level, from memory same as the Falco, run it until hot turn it off and after a min. have a look in the tube, mine usually shows some so if you don't have any I would re-check as per the usual method.
Hiding under a carpet of grey hair & lard.

fatboy
World Champion

#12 Post by fatboy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:32 pm

It took me a long time to get the oil level adjustment right on the Falc, added oil seemed to take a decade or more to register on the sight level thingy, I always panicked and added more oil.
The total capacity for a Falc is 3.8 litres so when I change the oil now I add almost all of a 4 litre can, walk off and beat the children/wife/dog/neighbour/traffic warden, the oil level settles and gets bored of trying to fool me.
As for the coolant, the falc needs more/spits it out, this is on a constant loop, I live with it
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

blinkey501
World Champion

#13 Post by blinkey501 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:10 am

As it seems with all the Aprilia bikes I own, my futura is not standard.

I have had a pair of Falco Showa forks re-valved and resprung to suit my weight and fully serviced by REV'S racing.

This allows the front to be lowered as the Falco forks are 20mm shorter. Also the 320mm disks can be fitted over the standard 300's.

I have also had an early pre 2000 mille r ohlins shock fitted to suit my weight also. Again serviced by REV'S.

I have fitted a dominator pipe, new coil sticks and HT leads and a K and N filter.

The bike handles really well even when loaded for a camping trip. I am going to Scotland on the futura to the Isle of Skye a week on Tuesday for a week and visit Applecross ect.

If I had to have just one bike that does it all it would be the futura. It's an awesome machine.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#14 Post by katie1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Found it!

Bit of obsessive searching has realised that the power socket is a Powerlet socket. So, all I need to do now is find an adapter for the TomTom cradle...

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#15 Post by katie1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Annnnd it turns out (for those who didn't know) that Powerlet, Hella and Din sockets are the same thing.

So, now waiting for an answer from Tomtom to see if they provide an adapter

Life would be so much easier if there was an instruction book (preferably one that hadn't been translated so many times it makes no sense)...