Loving the Futura!

General Aprilia banter

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Oh yes...

#16 Post by KitchenSync » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:47 am

It's taken a while but I am starting to love my Fut - which replaced the Falco stolen two years ago. New Road 4s have transformed my confidence and the panniers have been a godsend. Certainly wish the exhaust had more impact but I don't have the resources to do anything about it. Stator finally gave up the ghost this weekend but I had a blown up RSV lump from the Falco sitting in the garage to scavenged the new looking stator from there and I'm finally seeing decent charge rates that will cure 18 months of dead batteries and misfires when riding with the lights on. Not looking forward to replacing the swinging arm and linkage bearings and the king bearing remain untouched to date. All feels ok at the moment but if they're done for it might see a switch to an RSV backend if no cheap fixes are available.

fatboy
World Champion

#17 Post by fatboy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello KS,
you have been off radar for a while, probably because of a flat battery?
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#18 Post by katie1 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Early warning notice, the Futura is going to be up for grabs shortly!

It may seem like I've only just got it but I've taken the mileage up from 12k to 27k since then :smt107 Have to say, the comfort is incredible. Not something you notice as much as something you don't (nothing aches, no matter how long you're on the bike)

Had a couple of services, including a major one, a few tyre changes and a replacement clutch slave cylinder. Extras added include some handguards, Rutan crash bungs and a matching Bagster tank cover.

Main issue is that I often have to go into central London and, as of March next year, it will fall foul of the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone £12.50 per day) so negates the purpose of having a second 'cheaper' bike to run.
:smt009

Not quite sure when it will go but let me know if you have any interest and I'll stop putting so many miles on it!
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

fatboy
World Champion

#19 Post by fatboy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Holy shit ! That is some serious commuting.
Maybe you need a 'Back to the Future' car ?
A job closer to home ?
My work run is 5 miles each way and even then I do it in the car when the weather is pants, told you I am a complete pussy !

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#20 Post by katie1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Guess that means you're not in the market for a winter hack? :smt003
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.

fatboy
World Champion

#21 Post by fatboy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:31 pm

You guessed right !
All year round riding ? Been there done that, got the scars, had the trauma, picking my bike up off the ice, all my shopping across the road.....
Now to me riding is all about fun, I'm lucky in that my work run is only 5 miles each way so it is no big deal to be stuck in traffic in the car.
I really feel for those that need to be on the bike year round to make the work run feasible, meanwhile, turns the heater up to max..... !

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by D-Rider » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:28 pm

fatboy wrote:You guessed right !
All year round riding ? Been there done that, got the scars, had the trauma, picking my bike up off the ice, all my shopping across the road.....
Now to me riding is all about fun, I'm lucky in that my work run is only 5 miles each way so it is no big deal to be stuck in traffic in the car.
I really feel for those that need to be on the bike year round to make the work run feasible, meanwhile, turns the heater up to max..... !
I don't need to be on the bike year-round but it's still the vehicle of choice.
OK so I don't choose it when there is ice on the ground or when it's pissing down and it's going to take too long to get fully weather-proofed or when things are being delivered to work that require the car to bring home but generally the bike wins.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#23 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:46 am

I must admit that these days I'm in full-on wimp mode. When the temps drop below about 10-12 deg C, I'm not really interested. At present the VFR is in France, the Falco has had it's front end and bodywork removed and will be getting its valve clearances checked, and forks and brakes overhauled.

And the KTM is up in the air on the Skylift awaiting removal of the shock for 'fettling'...

fatboy
World Champion

#24 Post by fatboy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:29 pm

And the KTM is up in the air on the Skylift awaiting removal of the shock for 'fettling'...[/quote]
Not too surprised to hear that Graham !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#25 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:33 pm

fatboy wrote:
mangocrazy wrote:And the KTM is up in the air on the Skylift awaiting removal of the shock for 'fettling'...
Not too surprised to hear that Graham !
You know me too well, Paul... :smt003

I should add that the 350LC (which hasn't run for well over 25 years) is also receiving attention. But that particular saga will run and run...

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#26 Post by katie1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Well, I am now fully ULEZ-enabled but sadly lacking in Aprilia/V-twins :smt010

Ebay sorted the moving on of the Futura (I expect you'll see his new owner on here soon) after a few short months and some (many) genuinely lovely miles.

A snowy test ride (had to take the car to the dealer as couldn't dig the bike out of the garage!) and some serious Ebay/Autotrader searching sorted out the replacement.

So as of next week, I'll be commuting on a 2018 CBR650F and desperately trying to remember to use the brakes, rather than the engine, when I want to slow down! It's already got a full Arrow system, the shop's putting on the bungs, heated grips and rack so I just need the MRA screen and gear indicator (both in the post) and I'll be ready to go :smt003

fatboy
World Champion

#27 Post by fatboy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Katie, have you thought about purchasing a Tardis ?
That may be the only vehicle that can survive your insane commute :smt002
Hope the new bike works out for you, I'm sure you will very quickly remember the lack of engine braking, the new ride will sound like an electric drill and not a V twin

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#28 Post by katie1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:19 pm

fatboy wrote:Katie, have you thought about purchasing a Tardis ?
That may be the only vehicle that can survive your insane commute :smt002
Hope the new bike works out for you, I'm sure you will very quickly remember the lack of engine braking, the new ride will sound like an electric drill and not a V twin
Forgot to say, I've changed jobs and the commute is only 105 miles a day so it's easy-peasy :smt002

Will let you know about the electric drill effect :smt003

Oh, can I still have the Tardis anyway?

fatboy
World Champion

#29 Post by fatboy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:30 pm

105 miles a day easy ?
You are clearly bonkers girl !
As for the Tardis, it will be ebay or mugging a timelord

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#30 Post by D-Rider » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:08 am

..... makes my 7 mile round-trip commute seem rather pathetic .....

Looking forward for reports of the new bike :smt004
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein