Back in the fold

General Aprilia banter

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

The Mad Hatter
Despatch Rider

Back in the fold

#1 Post by The Mad Hatter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:47 pm

After my accident in 2011 it has taken a while but eventually managed to convince SWMBO to let me have another bike. This time in the form of an 03 Caponord.

This has not come without its problems and this is were I need your help. Washed the bike on Saturday and left it out in the sub to dry off. Fired it up and put it back int the garage. Monday morning came and it turned over fired up and then stalled. Now refuses to start. Engine spins well and definitely have spark. Regulator is fried but this shouldn't stop it from firing up. Thoughts would be much appreciated.

blinkey501
World Champion

Re: Back in the fold

#2 Post by blinkey501 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 pm

The Mad Hatter wrote:After my accident in 2011 it has taken a while but eventually managed to convince SWMBO to let me have another bike. This time in the form of an 03 Caponord.

This has not come without its problems and this is were I need your help. Washed the bike on Saturday and left it out in the sub to dry off. Fired it up and put it back int the garage. Monday morning came and it turned over fired up and then stalled. Now refuses to start. Engine spins well and definitely have spark. Regulator is fried but this shouldn't stop it from firing up. Thoughts would be much appreciated.
Welcome back. I wondered how you was getting on mate.

The caponord may be a question on AF1?

Btw....Does the gen 1 mille seat frame fit the falco?

I am making a track bike and hoping to use mille track bodywork?
Tolerance will be our undoing.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#3 Post by flatlander » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:21 am

Damp in the leads? I was always told not to to do what you gave done for that reason
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

The Mad Hatter
Despatch Rider

#4 Post by The Mad Hatter » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:02 am

blinkey501 wrote:
The Mad Hatter wrote:After my accident in 2011 it has taken a while but eventually managed to convince SWMBO to let me have another bike. This time in the form of an 03 Caponord.

Have asked the question on AF1 but I think it is a topic that has been discussed many times before so is not getting a lot of responses and it could be a million and one things.
blinkey501 wrote:btw....Does the gen 1 mille seat frame fit the falco?

The subframe is not a straight fit. The top point mounts directly to the falco frame but the bottom requires some modification. I found that if you bend the bottom rails directly in front of the braced bit then the mounting points sit next to each other and you then need a piece to join the two frames together. This gives you the right angle for the subframe.

I still have a few bits in the garage if you are interested including a couple of mille rear plastics that would do for a track bike.

fatboy
World Champion

#5 Post by fatboy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:47 am

Are you getting fuel ?
I like Griff's problem solving mindset, all you need is fuel, air and electricity to make your bike run, if you have all three then make sure they happen at the right time.
Fuel pump priming?
Tilt switch stuck?
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

blinkey501
World Champion

#6 Post by blinkey501 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:37 pm

The Mad Hatter wrote:
blinkey501 wrote:

Have asked the question on AF1 but I think it is a topic that has been discussed many times before so is not getting a lot of responses and it could be a million and one things.
blinkey501 wrote:btw....Does the gen 1 mille seat frame fit the falco?

The subframe is not a straight fit. The top point mounts directly to the falco frame but the bottom requires some modification. I found that if you bend the bottom rails directly in front of the braced bit then the mounting points sit next to each other and you then need a piece to join the two frames together. This gives you the right angle for the subframe.

I still have a few bits in the garage if you are interested including a couple of mille rear plastics that would do for a track bike.
I have full track bodywork but may be interested in the sub frame Mike.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

The Mad Hatter
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by The Mad Hatter » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Its alive. Stripped the bike and checked every fuse and relay. Emptied the very full tank and checked all the hoses inside the tank. Checked all the earthing points. Tried spinning it over and got a bit of a pop. Removed the plugs to check for fuel and they looked a little dirty so cleaned them up, recapped them and boom all is good again. Still need a new regulator but at least its running again. Just the job of putting all that body work back on now.

fatboy
World Champion

#8 Post by fatboy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:50 pm

Glad its running again.
On a cautionary note, I fried two ECU's in a row because of a near severed earth to the reg/rec
Cleverly disguised as an adult !