Poss Caponord purchase.

General Aprilia banter

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Galileo
Despatch Rider

Poss Caponord purchase.

#1 Post by Galileo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Currently running a 04 Falco but thinking of going after a 2003 Caponord.

Bike in question looks good and has been treated well but has done 42000 miles. Should the mileage be a concern and what should I look out for.

I look forward to some candid replies.

Cheers

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#2 Post by HisNibbs » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Motors are strong and my Falco has done over 70K including track days and is still going strong (touch wood). So mileage should be reflected in the price because you might want to resell at some point but is not really representative of how well it can do the job. My mate had a Capo for several years and it was a very capable all rounder even two up and packing luggage, capable of leaving behind many a sport bike. So if the price is right and you want a go anywhere flexible friend, rather than the latest and greatest it could well be a very good buy.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by MartDude » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:26 pm

The electrics - stator (higher output than Falco/RSV), reg/rect, coils, ECU - have more in common with the Futura than the Falco & RSV. In 6 1/2 years of ownership, I never had any electrical problems whatsoever. However, you'd be well advised to check if the recommended electric modifications have been carried out: uprated starter solenoid; ditch the brown & white connectors on the alternator - carefully solder the wires & wrap joints with heat shrink; some add an extra wire from the alternator to the battery; consider an upgrade reg/rectifier. AFAIK, replacement coils to OEM spec are available from Ebay.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!