It's a bit Futtin' quiet ain't it?

General Aprilia banter

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Robbo87
Despatch Rider

It's a bit Futtin' quiet ain't it?

#1 Post by Robbo87 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Have you other Futura owners scrapped 'em - all 78 of 'em? Any cheap spares going?

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:11 am

I am beginning to understand why the children have their own play area.....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Gio
Double World Champion

#3 Post by Gio » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:05 am

Aladinsaneuk wrote:I am beginning to understand why the children have their own play area.....
Its to avoid all the wannabee hairy bikers on the other bit :smt002
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Re: It's a bit Futtin' quiet ain't it?

#4 Post by MartDude » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Robbo87 wrote:Have you other Futura owners scrapped 'em - all 78 of 'em? Any cheap spares going?
Nothing remarkable to report; done nearly 5,000 trouble-free miles since early February, more than I've done annually for a few years - I blame Norfolk for that. Main conclusion is that I'd still struggle to find another bike that suits and 'fits' me as well as the Futura. A friend here has just got a VFR 800V-tec, after 20 years on sports bikes, he loves it, I find it a little cramped compared to the Fut, and the seat's nowhere as comfy. Haven't ridden it properly yet; must admit I'm rather keen to see what a V4 feels like, and if the fuss over the Vtec engine was just reactionary twaddle.

What else? I've been steadily adding to the hoard of Fut spares; just got a pair of radiators, and a set of headers - now have a spare complete (standard) exhaust (Note to self - must find a more wife-friendly storage location for it than the wardrobe).

Getting ready do some fettling over the next few weeks - change all the fluids; tweak the peg & lever positions to better suit the thicker-soled winter boots; re-fit the wiring for the heated gloves (also considering getting some heated socks or insoles); really need to bite the bullet & dismantle/grease the shock linkage; fit a Scottoiler; get a new back tyre (will probably stick with Michelin PR2), & while the wheel's off check/re-torque the cush-drive fasteners; get the replacement forks tweaked at Revs Racing (originals are getting a bit pitted, and saggy), & fit the bar risers; replace the vacuum lines - after 10 years they're probably a bit brittle; continue the head-scratching over finding a suitable location for riding lights/mini-spots that doesn't involve drilling the fairing.

On another tack, I've just received the replacement clamps for the throttle body/plenum chamber hoses for the BMW K100 battle-wagon, so I can now start ripping the fuel system apart and, I hope, resolve it's over-fuelling problem; as it's a nice afternoon here, I think I'll make a start on that in a few minutes.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Robbo87
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by Robbo87 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 pm

MartDude wrote:
Robbo87 wrote:Have you other Futura owners scrapped 'em - all 78 of 'em? Any cheap spares going?
Nothing remarkable to report; done nearly 5,000 trouble-free miles since early February, more than I've done annually for a few years - I blame Norfolk for that. Main conclusion is that I'd still struggle to find another bike that suits and 'fits' me as well as the Futura. A friend here has just got a VFR 800V-tec, after 20 years on sports bikes, he loves it, I find it a little cramped compared to the Fut, and the seat's nowhere as comfy. Haven't ridden it properly yet; must admit I'm rather keen to see what a V4 feels like, and if the fuss over the Vtec engine was just reactionary twaddle.

What else? I've been steadily adding to the hoard of Fut spares; just got a pair of radiators, and a set of headers - now have a spare complete (standard) exhaust (Note to self - must find a more wife-friendly storage location for it than the wardrobe).

Getting ready do some fettling over the next few weeks - change all the fluids; tweak the peg & lever positions to better suit the thicker-soled winter boots; re-fit the wiring for the heated gloves (also considering getting some heated socks or insoles); really need to bite the bullet & dismantle/grease the shock linkage; fit a Scottoiler; get a new back tyre (will probably stick with Michelin PR2), & while the wheel's off check/re-torque the cush-drive fasteners; get the replacement forks tweaked at Revs Racing (originals are getting a bit pitted, and saggy), & fit the bar risers; replace the vacuum lines - after 10 years they're probably a bit brittle; continue the head-scratching over finding a suitable location for riding lights/mini-spots that doesn't involve drilling the fairing.

On another tack, I've just received the replacement clamps for the throttle body/plenum chamber hoses for the BMW K100 battle-wagon, so I can now start ripping the fuel system apart and, I hope, resolve it's over-fuelling problem; as it's a nice afternoon here, I think I'll make a start on that in a few minutes.
I should have started this under 'new topic' methinks Mart.
Glad to hear the Fut's bearing up well, hope the same applies to you.

A coupla' observations re' your last post: In my experience of bikes from that era, and I've ridden a few; there's little, if anything, that comes anything near doing the same job or gives as much performance, all-day comfort and overall satisfaction, as the RST 1000 Futura - for me anyway. However, time has moved on, as it has a habit of doing, and there are a number of motorcycles available now that can match, or exceed the Fut's many attributes; but it's at a financial cost that's beyond my means and besides, why join the herd?

The VFR 800 is a good bike. I borrowed one for a week once, a pre' V-tec model, and thought it very able and well screwed together and the motor was a gem - once it was wound up. It didn't have the linear torque of my old 955 Triumph Sprint ST though and I was happy to get back to it.

Greasing the Fut shock linkeage - if the bike's done some serious miles and/or it hasn't been done yet - DO IT NOW! I had a near-terminal experience regarding this only last year. The dogbone link de-laminated and then sheared, in an instant, and at about 85 mph (on a private road of course Officer); luckily I was in a straight line and managed to keep it upright when the rear tyre put in an appearance through the sub-frame undertray. It was probably the drive chain tightening that stopped the whole rear-wheel shooting match burrowing itself into the seat base. There's well documented evidence of the dogbone failure issue on the AF1 site, including pic's that I and others have posted.

Tyres - Fitted Michelin PR 3's myself. Not exactly over impressed. For some reason I don't have the confidence in them that I had in the Dunlop Sportmax. Think I'll be going back to them.

Bar risers - Got Genmars on mine and haven't noticed a huge difference in comfort. What I have got is a big difference in turn-in speed and stability, due to the forks being dropped through the fork yokes about 20 mm I guess.

Forks - I badly need replacements. You wouldn't believe the corrosion that's occurred at the top of the legs, above where the forks meet the plastic deflector shield - or used to before I removed it. My 2001 RST had plenty of previous owners and not all of them were too fastidious with the cleaning bit I'm guessing - what the eye doesn't see etc. ..... .. There's evidence everywhere of this but the F Fork legs are far and away the worst. So, next question; what model Mille to look for for replacement? I guess it's an early one but would appreciated any knowledge on this.

Mini -spots - Thinking of getting a pair of 20 mm jobbies myself and was going to fit them under the headlight fairing, hard against the forward edge of the air intakes, protruding a little from the fairing - remember, I've removed the deflector shield so have room to play with. You may have to be more inventive.

Ride safe.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by MartDude » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Robbo87 wrote: I should have started this under 'new topic' methinks Mart.
Your wish is my command
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

Robbo87
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by Robbo87 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Per' my post re' the dreaded dogbone failure (above), here's some pics.

Not tried pic' posting before. If it works, thanks Mart', if it doesn't, it's back to class:

Image[/img]Image

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by MartDude » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 am

Ooh 'eck! I think the appropriate term here is FUBAR
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by D-Rider » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:28 am

MartDude wrote:Ooh 'eck! I think the appropriate term here is FUBAR
.... preceded by the phrase "lack of maintenance" - as mentioned in the post above but even better demonstrated in the pictures

A good reminder to us all as to what can happen if you don't clean and re-pack your linkage bearings - Falcos, Milles, Tuonos too.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

blinkey501
World Champion

#10 Post by blinkey501 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:27 am

Looks like aluminium fatigue robbo, i hope you was'nt travelling too fast when that happened.
In fact i would like to think you was not riding a all :smt107
Pm me with the hole centres if you are struggling for a dog bone, if they are the same has the standard falco which i think they are i have a spare to fit :smt002
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Gio
Double World Champion

#11 Post by Gio » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 am

D-Rider wrote:
MartDude wrote:Ooh 'eck! I think the appropriate term here is FUBAR
.... preceded by the phrase "lack of maintenance" - as mentioned in the post above but even better demonstrated in the pictures

A good reminder to us all as to what can happen if you don't clean and re-pack your linkage bearings - Falcos, Milles, Tuonos too.
Any bike for that matter! :smt010
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:15 pm

blinkey501 wrote:Looks like aluminium fatigue robbo
I'm not too sure about that - it looks more like the steel bearings have rusted and expanded, giving the dogbone very little option but to fail in the way it has. I've seen how rust can 'explode' and cause things attached to it to shatter.

It's quite a common thing to see when you use mild steel rebar (reinforcing bar) in concrete in an aggressive environment. The concrete just shatters. That looks like a very similar occurrence, the clue being the two broad bands of rust on the inner surface of the dogbone.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#13 Post by HisNibbs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:19 pm

Jeez, I thought my dog bone linkage was ‘fkd‘ with a mm or so of play from very worn pins, rust and one or two vanished rollers.

Not sure I accept Mango's take on the reason for such an extreme failure though. The expansion of rusting steel embedded in concrete is not a comparison I'd draw. If the pivot had seized then the loads through the dog bone would be very large and enough I reckon to cause the shear failure, I think seen in the photo.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by D-Rider » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:23 am

HisNibbs wrote:Jeez, I thought my dog bone linkage was ‘fkd‘ with a mm or so of play from very worn pins, rust and one or two vanished rollers.

Not sure I accept Mango's take on the reason for such an extreme failure though. The expansion of rusting steel embedded in concrete is not a comparison I'd draw. If the pivot had seized then the loads through the dog bone would be very large and enough I reckon to cause the shear failure, I think seen in the photo.
That was my conclusion too, Keith :smt023
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by MartDude » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 am

Bring back grease nipples!
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign