Falco damp starting woes

General Aprilia banter

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Falco damp starting woes

#1 Post by KitchenSync » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Now I've fixed my sprag... which failed because Signor Falco would never start when it's damp, I'm curious to remedy the problem.

It happened again today - the bike has been standing outside, under a cover, for three days. Took the cover off and everything's cold and with condensation on it - the ideal conditions for the thing refusing to fire up. It didn't used to be a problem until over the past year

No interest at all in firing - were it dry or when the engine's warm there's no problem at all. So out with the charger to top the battery up, out with the hot air gun, and after half and hour of warming the top of the engine up - bingo.

I can ride through torrential rain, leave it for hours outside - always starts within half a turn - until it's cold and there's damp in the air.

What do you reckon I can do? I can't really go anywhere until I know it'll start again without molly-coddling. Would cleaning every cable, lead and connector help - it's never been done in 11 years by the look of it.

Ian

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 pm

it wouldn't hurt

but

i would start with the right hand switch gear - my close affiliation with the RAC came from that switch....

check ht leads etc - and battery terminals

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

fatboy
World Champion

#3 Post by fatboy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Get a can of contact cleaner spay, start where Aladin suggests, then ECU connecter blocks, anything you can get to connector wise,
Dark and damp are perfect conditions for finding any HT tracking,easy to see sparks from leads and caps shorting to planet earth
Cleverly disguised as an adult !