Heated grips/dead 'alternator'

General Aprilia banter

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

old git
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Heated grips/dead 'alternator'

#1 Post by old git » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Guy I bought the Futura from had heated grips fitted, but had them disconnected as he believed that the high current draw on them is what killed the original alternator.
Since I have no idea if this is possible, wanted to ask the assembled Futilari if this was possible.
Wiring mod is reported to have been done although I have yet to have all the panels off to conf.
If this seems unlikely, and it was just a coincidence I may well re-connect for comfort in cold conditions.
Hiding under a carpet of grey hair & lard.

blinkey501
World Champion

#2 Post by blinkey501 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Heated grips should not kill the generator keef, i used heated grips on my 125 scooter and no issues..
Not sure what the wiring mods are on a fut, although i have heard people talk about them :smt002
Mart should be along shortly :smt003
Tolerance will be our undoing.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by D-Rider » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14 pm

How much current do these mega grips draw? ...... maybe we'd better remove the lights too - LOL
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#4 Post by randomsquid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Bloke I used to work with bought an F650 with heated grips and was worried if they were too much for the charging system on his commute. We hooked it up one dinner time and they were only a problem if the grips were on the highest setting, the main beam was on and the motor was at less than about 3k.
If your electrics are generally healthy I wouldn't worry about the grips.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

old git
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#5 Post by old git » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Ok general consensus is should be ok, since I am any pity any way I can test what they do draw, obviously will have to connect them up n turn them on but where would I be able to apply the multimeter to get a usable/meaningful reading.
PS although I have the multimeter, don't have any skill to know how to use it :smt017
Hiding under a carpet of grey hair & lard.

blinkey501
World Champion

#6 Post by blinkey501 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:10 pm

old git wrote:Ok general consensus is should be ok, since I am any pity any way I can test what they do draw, obviously will have to connect them up n turn them on but where would I be able to apply the multimeter to get a usable/meaningful reading.
PS although I have the multimeter, don't have any skill to know how to use it :smt017
Keef even with the grips on my scooter with maximum setting it did not flatten the battery or fook the charging system.
Unless there is an earthing fault i can not see the grips causing your bike any issues what so ever. :smt069
Tolerance will be our undoing.

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#7 Post by randomsquid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:03 pm

old git wrote:where would I be able to apply the multimeter to get a usable/meaningful reading.
We just checked the charging system was able to cope with the grips by connecting to the battery terminals with the scale set to 20v DC. You're looking for 14-14.5v ish.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by D-Rider » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:30 pm

old git wrote:Ok general consensus is should be ok, since I am any pity any way I can test what they do draw, obviously will have to connect them up n turn them on but where would I be able to apply the multimeter to get a usable/meaningful reading.
I wasn't really being serious in asking what they draw - they should be fine.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein