All You Need To Know About Falco Rear Suspension (probably)

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#61 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:49 pm

a skinny falco owner.....

perish the thought

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

fatboy
World Champion

#62 Post by fatboy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Two skinny Falco owners !

Eating pies wont remedy the situation as this skinny Falco owner is allergic to wheat flour in a serious way :smt009
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#63 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Wheat flour?

No excuse then for not supping more ale then

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#64 Post by zoidberg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Will an 02 Mille Sachs shock and dog bones etc fit easily into a Falco?

No mods to the battery tray etc?

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#65 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Yes

Straight fit

It's only the early black/blue Sachs unit that sometimes needs a deemed trim of the valve

The unit you are talking about is the yellow version

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#66 Post by zoidberg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Yellow with yellow spring I'm looking at.

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#67 Post by falcomunky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Well, I've scoured this and other sites and I still cant find the answer to my question, (apologies if I've missed something) which is:
Is it possible to use the 2004 RSV Sachs shock on my 2002 RSV swingarm, and if so, which linkages/dogbone arrangements do I need?
I know that using the entire rear from the 04 onwards RSVs is a PITA (battery box etc) due to the swingarm shape and dogbone mounting points being different, but I've not read anyone doing an 02/04 hybrid rear.
I also know that the 04 shock is shorter than the earlier Gen 2 shocks, but I wondered if this could be countered using, say, the 02 dogbone perhaps?
The reason I'm asking is that I've noticed that the Gen 2 Sachs seem to be drying-up on Ebay and was hoping to get a newer model (I don't see the point in buying a £60 shock, only to have it rebuilt for £100-150).
Hell, anyone know if the same can be done with the RSV4 shock? Plenty on Ebay and pretty cheap too!
Also, are the 04 RSV Showa forks the same diameter as on the Falco (53mm)? :smt017
Ta in advance! :smt006
Two is the magic number... ;)

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#68 Post by D-Rider » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:11 pm

I don't think you'll find a definitive answer to this.
The received wisdom was that it doesn't work but I've been sceptical of that for a long time - and have seen some comments that it can be done - though nothing very clear.

Most of the people with a length of experience will have swapped their shocks ages ago and gone with one of the recognised options - so getting a call on this is going to be difficult.

I'm guessing that it probably can be made to work and you probably need the linkages from the same bike - but how well it would work I don't know. What's more I wouldn't go anywhere near a set of GenII bike linkages on a setup for which they were not designed given the pics of failures - though maybe I'm being over-cautious - I don't know.

So it's a big "don't really know" from me

GenII bike fork diameters are the same (as far as I know) - certainly true that Ohlins are the same diameters between the generations - I'm almost certain that's true for the showas too.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#69 Post by falcomunky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:19 pm

As ever D-R: MANY thanks. :smt023
I figured the fork diameters didn't change, just erring on the side of caution.
As for the 04 shock/02 swingarm: I'm toying with the idea of getting a set (one on Ebay at the mo: seller also has the forks too!) as I got the new swingarm for a lot less than I'd expected so that's freed a bit of money up...
'Spose I could always sell it back on Ebay if it doesn't work!
Thanks again matey and I'll post up if I buy the 04 shock and get it to work...
Two is the magic number... ;)

sherlock308
Despatch Rider

triangles and dogbones !

#70 Post by sherlock308 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi chaps

Ive just got a mint yelow spring sachs shock from a 2003 rsv mille it seems from doing some research that I now need the triangles and dogbone from a 2001 to 2003 mille.

First question is does anybody have any spares for sale?

Secondly how can I differentiate between them measurements etc?

Does the height of the shock ie end to end need to be the same length as the falco or can it be a bit bigger ?

Thanks

Ian
No shit Sherlock !

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#71 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:00 pm

blinkey501
World Champion

#72 Post by blinkey501 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 am

I thought you was too busy to post for a while? :smt017
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#73 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Having spoken to you earlier this week..... You know one reason why I have been so busy.....

And normality is being restored

Ish

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#74 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 pm

falcomunky wrote:As ever D-R: MANY thanks. :smt023
I figured the fork diameters didn't change, just erring on the side of caution.
As for the 04 shock/02 swingarm: I'm toying with the idea of getting a set (one on Ebay at the mo: seller also has the forks too!) as I got the new swingarm for a lot less than I'd expected so that's freed a bit of money up...
'Spose I could always sell it back on Ebay if it doesn't work!
Thanks again matey and I'll post up if I buy the 04 shock and get it to work...
The 2004 RSV shock is around 10mm shorter than the 2003 Mille shock and is even shorter than the standard Falco shock, so the effect will be to reduce ride height. This is generally regarded as a Bad Thing.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#75 Post by D-Rider » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 pm

mangocrazy wrote: The 2004 RSV shock is around 10mm shorter than the 2003 Mille shock and is even shorter than the standard Falco shock, so the effect will be to reduce ride height. This is generally regarded as a Bad Thing.
..... hobbits excepted
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein