All You Need To Know About Falco Rear Suspension (probably)

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#31 Post by D-Rider » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Ross - nice to see you've popped over here :smt006

It'll fit if you take the Falco linkages with it (Pete, 2004 Tuonos are Gen 1).
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Re: Sl to Tuono shock

#32 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:33 am

rossguzzi wrote:I have a 03 Falco with a Ohlins AP 840 46PRCLS

I am buying a 04 Tuono.

Will my Ohlins fit on? Do I have to swap links etc?

If I have to swap links will my ol blue Sachs work with the Tuono links?

I am planning to put on my original blue shock to sell on the bike. In Australia they were re valved and didnt perform too bad.

Cheers!
Hi Ross - I think it's fairly straightforward. If you were using standard Falco linkages with your Ohlins AP 840 46PRCLS, then you will also need to use the same linkages if you transfer it to the Tuono. But as Pete says, this only applies to the 1st generation Tuonos - the 2002-2005 model. The later Tuonos had very different suspension geometry and mixing and matching is not a good idea.

If you were using non-Falco linkages (i.e. 2nd Gen Mille or 1st Gen Tuono), and you want to transfer the shock to a 1st Gen Tuono, it will just be a case of the shock 'going back to Daddy' - no change needed. But I suspect you will be using Falco linkages - the ones that look almost like an equilateral triangle. If so, linkages go with the shock.

In this case you will need a second set of Falco linkages (triangles and dogbone) to enable re-fitment of the blue spring shock to the Falco. But these are comparatively easy to come by; its the Mille/Tuono linkages that are more sought after.

rossguzzi
Whinging Aussie

#33 Post by rossguzzi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:34 pm

That's great guys !

But to double check, would the Ohlins rear off mine need revalving if I use the Falco triangle and dog bone?

It is a gen 1 Tuono I am looking at getting. It has a top of line Wilbers rear and Wilbers front valves etc. The front will go in the Falco with the blue spring rear. Will sell rear W to recoup $$.

Thanks and if you hear of a Falco dog bone and triangle ........

Cheers

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#34 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Now you've really confused me... Kindly sit on this chair, sir and answer the following questions... :smt003

1. Are you selling the Falco or keeping it?

2. What shock does the Falco have fitted at the moment?

3. What linkages does the Falco have fitted at the moment?

4. Why are you thinking of buggering about with the Tuono suspension if it has top of the line Wilbers kit on it? Their 'best' stuff is at least as good as Ohlins. I'd honestly suggest you ride it for a good few miles before changing stuff around.

rossguzzi
Whinging Aussie

#35 Post by rossguzzi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Ok,

I am going to sell the Falco.

It has an Ohlins with remote preload.

The Falco has Falco links now.

I want the Ohlins remote fitted onto the Tuono. The Wilbers may be top of the line, but dosn`t have remote preload.

Also,

My falco has OZ rims and 07 RSV radial brake front end that will be fitted to Tuono.

Then all I need is a bit of carbon here and there and bingo. Tuono Factory !

You see there was only one Factory brought into WA. Perhaps 8 into Australia total. I spoke to the owner of the one here in WA and would only sell it to me if I offered to pay $30 000. It has 18000 kms on it. 1 owner.
I did try to talk him around, but wouldn't budge.

Hope this clears up my intentions. :)

Oh and excuse me.......Pizza Delivery Rider ????

fatboy
World Champion

#36 Post by fatboy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Ross,
We all start off as pizza delivery riders, ask some questions, post stupid replies then you become a despatch rider !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#37 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Ok - I think I understand now.

If you want to keep the Ohlins with remote preload adjuster (and I can understand why - I have one and it's great), then you need to use the associated Falco triangles and dogbone on the Tuono, as that's what you're using on the Falco. Basically you're transplanting the rear suspension system from your Falco to the Tuono.

This will leave you needing another set of Falco triangles and dogbones, which you need to fit the old blue spring shock back on the Falco.

It also leaves you with a funky Wilbers shock to sell on. If you can find a Falco owner to sell it to, they may also be very interested in your set of 1st Gen Tuono triangles and dogbone. That could bolt on as a complete unit to transform the rear end of a standard Falco.

If you could arrange to PX your Wilbers shock and Tuono linkages for a set of Falco linkages (with appropriate cash adjustment, of course) then everyone's a winner, baby...

And the front-end is a straight swap between Falco and Tuono. But you knew that already... :smt003

"Pizza delivery rider" stigma soon disappears once you start bantering with the natives on here...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#38 Post by D-Rider » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I think I might have a spare set of Falco linkages but will need to check and also see whether they are in good nick.

Not sure what postage to the land down under would be like though.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#39 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:24 pm

I am fairly certain I have a spare set of falco linkages for any that need - postage only

And yep Andy, but no disrespect to any one but I always double check re models and years.....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#40 Post by D-Rider » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:I am fairly certain I have a spare set of falco linkages for any that need - postage only

And yep Andy, but no disrespect to any one but I always double check re models and years.....
:smt017
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#41 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Lol

Ross may well have a falco shock upgrade for sale - but as a part of that deal is likely to want a falco linkage set... And this is vulture central....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#42 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:Lol

Ross may well have a falco shock upgrade for sale - but as a part of that deal is likely to want a falco linkage set... And this is vulture central....
Indeed... And that is why I made the point. But given the cost of postage to/from Oz I suspect that we will only be seeing Antipodean vultures circling...

On a separate point, I'm interested in taking a comparative photo of Falco and 2nd Gen Mille/1st Gen Tuono linkages to include in the suspension sticky in Aprilia Technical. If someone has a set of Falco linkages gathering dust, would they be willing to send them to me? I'll return them once I've taken the photos.

Mine aren't spare as they're fitted to the bike, by the way.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#43 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:52 pm

pm your address and i will post them when i get a minute

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#44 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Cheers Pete, pm sent. No rush - it will be a week or so before I can dig out the Mille linkages anyway.

rossguzzi
Whinging Aussie

#45 Post by rossguzzi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:53 am

So just the last question remains. Would the Ohlins need revalving?

Shurley I could bypass Pizza/dispatch boy with AF1 credits ??

Oh the Indignation of it all !!! :smt102