New Falco owner - woss all this then?

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Aprilionaire
Despatch Rider

New Falco owner - woss all this then?

#1 Post by Aprilionaire » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:47 am

Hi all, sorry if I'm posting on the wrong thread etc and will prob ask questions that someone will say, "do a search!"
Well anyway, just bought a 2000 Falco in red, good price too, tho she does need a little TLC, been dropped, seems some owners here (NZ) are a little slap dash with bike ownership, especially keeping them clean!
Anyway, I got the plastic off it, cleaned as much as i could see and putting it all back on now.

What is a Renegade Air Kit? Yes I know it must have something to do with the airbox etc, but what and why is it so good??? Is it better than a K&N? which i am thinking of getting.
Not had chance to set the suspension up yet, sounds like I'm in for some fun there!
I also have some nice carbon pipes on it, but no brand name or any writing on them anywhere???
It has been derestricted but any hints on any "must do's" that I need to know?
Thanks all and sorry if someone has to repeat themselves to a newbie
:smt002 :smt002
Alan
------------------
Has anyone seen the plot?

Samray
Double World Champion

#2 Post by Samray » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:19 am

Welcome aboard Aprilionaire. :smt001
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer all your queries.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#3 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:22 am

welcome - and we do seem to attract kiwi's....

can you give us a clue as to your spanner experience - some here do their own fettling, others have mechanics etc....

renegade airbox..... if i say that this is one of the latter mods to do, then you have time to sort it out and think on it

some pictures of the bike and the exhausts would help.....

first thing to do - unless it has been done already, is sort the poxy sidestand out - usa spec one seems popular with you antipodeans.... after that the fireblade stand, and then vtr or gixxer options - a quick search will find those!

next - look at the rear shock - and decide what you are going to replace with, and what you can get

then come back to the airbox and we can think a little...

(and do not be afraid to ask questions - we all started somewhere....)

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

FlyingKiwi
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

Re: New Falco owner - woss all this then?

#4 Post by FlyingKiwi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:25 am

Aprilionaire wrote:seems some owners here (NZ)
Where in NZ?
Hopefully another mainlander :smt003 :smt006

fastasfcuk
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by fastasfcuk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 am

welcome mate, the bike as standard is still an excellent bike, i would say first things to do is make sure the wire as been cut to the ecu,remove the plate at the bottom of the air box.you've got the cans.then we start spending your money.where would you like us to start. :smt003

this site is a minefield of information and friendly.

Aprilionaire
Despatch Rider

#6 Post by Aprilionaire » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:47 am

Thank for the replies, will post some pics on the weekend, not too bad with doin my own stuff on the bike, except the tech things like valve clearances etc.
Whats the verdict on a K&N? I have chance to get one at a good price.

Oh and I'm in Nelson, Mainland NZ! :)
Alan
------------------

fastasfcuk
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#7 Post by fastasfcuk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:51 am

good piece of kit, renagade better.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#8 Post by DavShill » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 am

Welcome M8 - Beware when asking questions about mods and improvements because this lot will spend your money for you faster than you can earn it. Great Bike and lots of good reliable advice on this forum.

Enjoy.

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by Kwackerz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:54 am

Welcome Alan,

As said before, there is a wealth of quality information and good advice that comes out of the forum.

Hope the forum serves you well :smt001
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Noeli0
Despatch Rider

#10 Post by Noeli0 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi and welcome Alan,
good to see yet another Kiwi on board.
give the bike a good service and as you've got the weather on your side go out and enjoy, plenty of time for bling in the winter months :smt002

FlyingKiwi
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#11 Post by FlyingKiwi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:54 pm

mmmmm Nelson.
Nice roads up that way.
I'm from ChCh
Renegade mod and similar basically remove the top of your airbox and use the tank to seal on the base of the airbox to give you a larger area from which to suck air (I think). The K&N's are suppose to be better breathing than the standard filter and have the bonus of being re-useable (I think)
Getting tired from all the thinking now.
personally I'd go sidestand, exhausts then Shock.
hurray!
FK

joecrx
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#12 Post by joecrx » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:05 pm

hi welcome :smt001 , , :smt001 hope youv got plenty of money , you can mod a falco till your hearts content then some ,
i would do the side stan first , a must , cheap and easy ,

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#13 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:12 pm

air boxes

evo - removes the top half of air box and a new seal around the base of airbox seals to tak, hence increasing airbox size. Full evo kit also has a reuseable k&n style air filter - gain about 5bhp

Renegade - removes the air box totally, and replaces it with a plate that holds a cleanable pipercross filter one. very hard to come by now, but a chap called hooked makes a copy to order. a newish mod for these involves applying a door seal trim rond the edge of the plate to seal it to the base of the petrol tank. - gain about 5bhp

socks.... as in i have seen a couple of images where people have dispensed with the top of the airbox and just fitted a pair of pipercross boots over the velocity stacks - no idea on bhp gain but i suspect around 5

K&N - straight replacement air filter that is not as restrictive - gain around 2 or 3 bhp

the rene system has a lovely induction roar... the evo also has the roar but not to the same degree

a few are working on hybrid replacements for the evo/rene solution - personally, if i can be arsed, i may put a strip around my renegade plate....

which ever system you choose to go for, then you will find the engine feels better - pick up is smoother and so on

if you can get a K&N cheap then do it - last spare one i had cost its new owner 25 quid i think

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by D-Rider » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Ello & welcome. :smt006

Glad the others got here first to answer the questions :smt003

A reasonable number of Kiwis on here - though most of them are living in UK at present.
Still, if you need to discuss sheep I'm sure they will be happy to while away the hours.

As for Falcos and bikes, the rest of us will join in too :smt002
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Aprilionaire
Despatch Rider

Thanks guys

#15 Post by Aprilionaire » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 am

I gotta say that I've never been welcomed quite so enthusiastically to a forum before like I have this one! Thanks, are you all Aprilia dealers that are ready to pounce? lol just kiddin, tho it does seem that I may be spending some money on her.

So how much is this Renegade Kit? any pics? Oh and I am in NZ, so stuff like that is expensive, even the K&N was cheap at $90!!!! most of the time we search Ebay US & UK, with the exchange rates now, its cheaper, even with the freight.

Not sure, but it seems I already have a stand replacement, had a long tang welded on it as I could see it was goin to be hard to flick it down, but I have a Fireblade also (which is now for sale) and the stands look very similar.

Hopefully I have attached a pic of the mysterious no name carbon pipes and some may notice on another pic that I have seriously faded paint in places, tho the tank is like new (repainted??) the front took a knock, so that has been resprayed (badly)

Prob will go for a complete respray in the winter, but for now, I'll enjoy riding her.
Just put all fairings etc back on tonight after extensive cleaning and fettling, went out for a short blast on a lovely early summer eve, holy shit! this thing pulls!! I think it must have the 15T sprocket, had to back off pulling away from the lights as she wanted to head for the sky! Might have to look in the airbox this weekend too as there might be something non standard in there too!

What is the diff with the "R" model? just cosmetic? rather like the paint scheme of that :smt001 :smt003

Oh and sorry to disappoint the Kiwis on here, but I'm a Pommie!

:smt005
ImageImage
ImageImage
Alan
------------------