Falco - New owners questions and pointers

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

Falco - New owners questions and pointers

#1 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Thinking this may be an idea - to have a thread that we can add too with potential buyers advice about what to look for when looking at buying a Falco

I think we should assume that anyone buying a bike knows how to check for loose bearings etc - so just to concentrate on falco specific pointers

Please feel free to add to the list - I will add stuff to this initial post. I have also made the same thread in the other falco forums I frequent - hopefully to get the best knowledge from all

And if it is appropriate, perhaps sticky it?

If it has the original metzler tyres fitted - budget for changing them when you buy it....

The clutch fluid will be black - 'tis a quirk of the aprilia thousands :)

The side stand - if original then budget for changing it (Does not apply to USA bikes!)

Should have the pillion seat and rear cowl.... they can be expensive and hard to find second hand....

Finding neutral, especially on a cold bike, can be a pig.... a £10 clutch jet change should sort it.... (Otherwise the gearbox is very precise!)

Look for signs of it being dropped - cracks around mirror mounts etc - that front end can be a bitch to source...

Panels - make sure they are intact......

Make sure it has the correct country headlight fitted.... some uk bikes have been found to have euro lights....

the original exhausts are both heavy and muting - most will change them.....

Doubtful if youll still find one, but check the inlet restrictor has been removed and the wire cut to take it to full power

make it known many upgrades can be done with OEM parts from a RSV Mille...like swing arm, rear shock (Sachs or Ohlins), OZ rims, ect. You dont always have to get aftermarket pieces to change some things up

It's got 4 spark plugs so make sure you buy 4 before you service it!
Last edited by Aladinsaneuk on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by Kwackerz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:36 pm

Hmm.. Doubtful if youll still find one, but check the inlet restrictor has been removed and the wire cut to take it to full power

Stranger things happen at sea..
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

rick
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#3 Post by rick » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm

It's got 4 spark plugs so make sure you buy 4 before you service it :smt003
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop. Isle of Man TT Champion.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#4 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

back_marker
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#5 Post by back_marker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:25 pm

rick wrote:It's got 4 spark plugs so make sure you buy 4 before you service it :smt003
And if checking for a spark ensure you remove all 4, not just one from each cylinder :smt115
Racing is life - anything before or after is just waiting.
- Steve McQueen

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by D-Rider » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Errr ..... any reason for linking to this on another forum rather than to where we have all this information on Aprilia Ridersite.

:smt013 :smt013 :smt021

https://www.ridersite.com/viewtopic.php?t=6289

Sometimes I just dunno why I bother :smt090
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Samray
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Samray » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:22 pm

:smt003

and your pics are so much better too. :smt002

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#8 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

cos i could not find that when i was looking for it earlier....

look - i was in touch with my inner malteaser

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by D-Rider » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:cos i could not find that when i was looking for it earlier....

look - i was in touch with my inner malteaser
But not in touch with a thread that features a picture of her bike ..... she'll make you pay for that .....
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#10 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 pm

aye.... thought it looked familiar - but it is normally smaller in my mirrors......

blinkey501
World Champion

#11 Post by blinkey501 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Another pointer.... The oil level and how to check.
Run the bike until the cooling fans cut in. Stop the engine and wait for sixty seconds.
Stand the bike bolt upright and check the level.
Note..... The oil does not need to be at the maximum level. About the mid way point is good practice.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#12 Post by Dalemac » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:41 am

Can I propose that we add the Showa forks as a possible point of weakness, as they are not able to withstand salt corrosion without regular cleaning and protecting.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by D-Rider » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Dalemac wrote:Can I propose that we add the Showa forks as a possible point of weakness, as they are not able to withstand salt corrosion without regular cleaning and protecting.
You can propose ..... but having not been hit by multiple reports of this issue, I don't think we can really suggest that it is a major concern.
Lets face it, forks will be 10-15 yrs old on any Falco and should have been in and out a few times to be serviced - so issues like this are unlikely to crop up without warning and the opportunity to take some remedial action.
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:58 pm

I've seen this occur (but not as badly as on Dale's) and I've heard of Showas on similar age Milles having to be replaced for the same reason, but I guess it should be part of the general 'condition check' that anyone should make when purchasing an old secondhand bike. The only problem is, you do very definitely have to look for this problem (it's not apparent from a cursory glance).

I guess we have to accept that our favoured mode of 2 wheel transport is getting old (most examples will be 10+ years old now), so maybe some kind of general condition-related check is advisable, and a note on the forks added.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by D-Rider » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:19 pm

Yep that's about right.

I think this is more of a maintenance issue than a component issue - so a reminder to people to regularly check and maintain their bikes is valid.

Similarly the number of people that seem to neglect the bearings in their rear suspension linkages and find they rust up and sometimes seize is not insignificant - but again it's lack of maintenance rather than unreasonable component performance.
-- Albert Einstein