First Falco

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Sprag
Despatch Rider

First Falco

#1 Post by Sprag » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:52 pm

Picked up a 2001 Falco a few months ago - I fancied getting an uncommon sporty Italian V-twin on a budget and the Falco seemed to fit the bill. So here goes my Falco project.

_20221003_225125.JPG
_20221003_225125.JPG (149.67 KiB) Viewed 13568 times
This is it as it was when I bought it.

My Falco has good bodywork thanks to a fresh respray by the seller, but needs a bit of attention mechanically and aesthetically. It's got no service history and has had a lot of owners. There's some tatty wiring and dodgy repairs, seat lock is broken, only came with one key which is not original, unbranded carbon cans with at least one rivet missing, and it's got loads of horrible red anodised bolts and carbon-effect stickers. It does run and did come with an MOT, but given the above I want to give it a good going over before even riding it.

I've already found loads of useful info on this forum and I'll sure I'll have plenty more questions as I go.
Last edited by Sprag on Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

Re: First Falco

#2 Post by Falcopops » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:38 pm

A lot of owners isn't necessarily a problem. Whereabout are you as there may be a nearby owner that can give you some helpful pointers.

Sprag
Despatch Rider

#3 Post by Sprag » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:09 am

Thanks pops. I'm in the south east, though I have to admit this is likely to be a slow burn project as I have limited spare time :smt017

Anyway I've made a start. First thing I wanted to do was sort out a spare key. I noticed the key that came with the bike has a transponder chip in it - bit weird I thought as I read these bikes didn't come with immobilisers. I tried the key without the chip and the bike started up so obviously not needed - maybe a previous owner just used this key blank without actually needing the chip, who knows. I got two new Aprilia blanks, got them cut and they both work, happy days.

Later on I discovered a plastic disc attached to the top of the ignition barrel with a coil of copper wire inside it. Maybe there was some kind of aftermarket immobiliser fitted to the bike at some point? Anyhow, the wires were not connected to anything and the disc peeled off easily so in the bin it goes. Turns out the disc was actually obstructing the key slightly, especially when using the steering lock, so that works better now.

DSC_0428~2.JPG
DSC_0428~2.JPG (402.83 KiB) Viewed 13562 times
Coil
Last edited by Sprag on Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#4 Post by Falcopops » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:51 pm

Good to start with a couple of wins, well done.

I used to be in the southeast, but not now, there are a few in the London area from memory and one there used to be a decent garage that worked on Aprilias, but I'm buggered if I can remember where.

Lttlcheeze
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by Lttlcheeze » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:03 pm

Welcome! Sounds like you are already making good progress.

Make sure to check out the AF1 Forum, tons of useful info there too, and many more Falco riders. Even tho it is a US based forum, plenty of the riders are from your side of the pond. :smt003

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/for ... all-years)

Sprag
Despatch Rider

#6 Post by Sprag » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:56 am

Thanks cheeze! That's very handy that site. And I also found Ken's resurrected site, helpful guides in there.

I've got the bike partly stripped down now. Valve clearances checked, I've got one slightly tight intake valve on the rear cylinder so need to swap out that shim. Compression checks look good, I think it was around 200psi front 190 psi rear.

DSC_0373~2.JPG
DSC_0373~2.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 13559 times
Stripped down

With the bike sat in the garage I was getting bit of a petrol smell. So I want to replace all the hoses to prevent any potential leaks (high pressure hose was replaced by the dealer, need to check it's up to spec). I've also stripped the tank down to replace all the rubber gaskets. While I'm in there I'll fit a new fuel filter and internal hoses. The current fuel filter is Ducati branded but the hoses all have clic clamps - could that be original or has it definitely been changed at some point? The Nissan filter I've bought is a bit bigger than what's on it now, so I need to make sure it fits.

Other bits and bobs on the list - I've got a fireblade stand to fit, I've got AP's cable kit and I've got cable to do the mod on the charging circuit. Already got a lipo battery I'll use. Should hopefully make it nice and reliable. No signs of issues as it is, like burnt plugs etc. But will be nice knowing it's bomb proof.

Fluids will all need refreshing, maybe brake hoses all round. Oil and filter obviously, and already got a new air filter - old one is a bit grubby. There's a bit of oil in the airbox which may be normal amount, but the spark plugs are too black / sooted up. Could be the grubby air filter or too much oil getting in the box. Hopefully the new air filter and oil change (to the correct level) will fix that. I'll stick new plugs in anyway, and maybe injectors while I'm there, depending on cost.
Last edited by Sprag on Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:41 am

Hi Sprag, replacing the fuel lines is an excellent idea, and one of the former denizens of this forum wrote a very detailed 'how to' on this. It's here:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=13082

Are the clic clamps you refer to plastic or metal? OE Aprilia were metal crimped clamps. I use Oetiker clamps wherever possible, although they are not the easiest of items to track down. You will also need a matching set of crimp pliers with these fittings. Here's a link to a supplier of Oetiker single ear clips that I use:

https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/c ... lip/22684/

I wouldn't worry about what the fuel filter brand is, as long as it's the correct size and specification part. Good luck!

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#8 Post by Firestarter » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:51 am

mangocrazy wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:41 am
I wouldn't worry about what the fuel filter brand is, as long as it's the correct size and specification part. Good luck!
Just make sure it's in the right way round, as not all have flow direction marked (and yes - it does make a difference as I found!)
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

Sprag
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by Sprag » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:18 pm

The fuel line guide is very useful, I've already obtained the right hoses and quick release connector thanks to the info in that guide. That's the magic of forums like this, getting so much handy information from decent people.

The clic clamps in the tank are metal. I wasn't sure many workshops would stock them which is why I suspect it's all original, but I could be wrong.

_20221228_152111.JPG
_20221228_152111.JPG (823.36 KiB) Viewed 13556 times
Here's the fuel filter, it's marked "KL 145" which may be a useful reference (can see one on eBay for £13). It's also marked "13.11.06" so if that's a manufacture date it's obviously not the original filter as my bike is a 2001.

I've bought some mini fuel hose clamps rather than the oetiker clamps - I'll see how they go. The quality seems good at least.
Last edited by Sprag on Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprag
Despatch Rider

#10 Post by Sprag » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:57 am

Found time yesterday to get the camshaft off and retrieve the relevant shim. On the rear cylinder you do need to remove the balance shaft to get the camshaft holder off - Ken's guide deals with the front cylinder so doesn't go over this in detail.

_20221228_152631.JPG
_20221228_152631.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 13555 times

I did not need to remove the chain tensioner, I found there was enough slack as it is. Initially I worried this might be an issue, as the tensioner can be pushed in rather than being locked out with a ratchet-type system. But I believe it's hydraulic tensioner not just a spring, so I'm assuming it's fine. Will double check.

I also found a bit of coolant weeping on top of the thermostat so I'll get that fixed.

Now I need to order the new shim, as well as all the gaskets for the fuel tank and some other bits and pieces - I need to replace the preformed tank breather hoses so I need to find a solution for that. Might have to just use elbows.
Last edited by Sprag on Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprag
Despatch Rider

#11 Post by Sprag » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:11 pm

Well I've hardly touched the bike since my last post - did I mention this will be a slow project?! If I can get it rideable for spring I'll be happy.

I've got hold of a few different valve shims so next step is to get the best fitting one in and put the head back together. I think I'll use some sealant on the valve cover gasket, it's a bit oily on the outside so may have had a slight leak.

I still need to find some hose for the tank breathers. It seems Codan is the only option for quality fuel hose, which isn't cheap. Everything else is sh*tty Chinese crap. It's only for breather hose, but maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get Codan.

Pile of sin:
_20221228_160745.JPG
_20221228_160745.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 13554 times
Last edited by Sprag on Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprag
Despatch Rider

#12 Post by Sprag » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:15 pm

Oh, one question - anyone know where I can get a rubber shroud for the connector on the back of the clocks? Mine is shot. Doesn't seem to be available from Fowlers.

It's this shroud in the center of this photo:
_20221228_161220.JPG
_20221228_161220.JPG (137.69 KiB) Viewed 13553 times
Last edited by Sprag on Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:15 am

I've always used Ultimateparts.net, as they seem to have the largest stock of spares, but they do gouge on the postage.

Is the part you need in this section?

https://www.ultimateparts.net/dashboard-17.html

Sprag
Despatch Rider

#14 Post by Sprag » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:32 pm

Thanks for the link Mango. The shroud is on the front wiring page, but it is part of the front wiring loom and doesn't appear to be available separately. I'm sure it's possible to find a generic item somewhere.

Another question - anyone know where I can get rebuild kits for the master cylinders and the brake calipers? May have to just buy the individual OEM parts.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:38 pm

Powerhouse in Chesterfield do a lot of brake parts for Brembo, and I think that includes rebuild kits for the calipers, but not sure about master cylinders. They aren't exactly cheap though, as they seem to have a bit of a monopoly... In the past I've tried to find parts from the KTM catalogue, as they used the same Brembo components at around the same time as they were used on Aprilias. You do need to home in on a KTM bike that used the same components as those you're trying to replace. Unfortunately KTM have been discontinuing parts for older bikes and sooner or later this will catch up with the parts we need. I suspect this kind of thing will only get worse with time.

If you're really stuck I'd give Griff Wooley at AP Workshops in Tamworth a bell. He will know a source.