Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

tommy
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Back again

#1 Post by tommy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi All
Just thought I'd drop in and say hi. Back in 2007 (I was a 21 year old butcher) I bought a 2 year old bronze Falco. Loved it, tinkered with it no end (most significantly is the rear Ohlin's, powder-coated mille swingarm, swapped the Marzocchi forks for Showa and had a full respring/revalve by MCT). I rode it everywhere on it as it was my only form of transport.
In 2014 I sold it and bought a brand new Speed triple R. I always regretted selling the Falco. Anyway, one day a few months ago (now im a 36 year old acoustics consultant, married, and balding) I was feeling nostalgic I did an ebay search for Falcos, and fuck me, my old one was for sale. I made him an offer straight away, he kindly accepted, and I picked it up shortly after.

It's been 7 years since I last had it. From what I could tell its had about 3 or 4 owners since then, since i parted with it:
- there some heavy handed tooling judging by the rounded bolts and knocks etc
- wasn't cleaned clean it resulting in loads of corrosion
- tank's swollen as hell and lacquer's starting to come off :-(
- they swapped by pristine SL carbon cans for some 8" stubby things.
- somebody stuck a belly pan on it
- ruined my oil cooler
- added 10K miles or so

Anyway, other than that I was exactly how I left it, even could dial the suspension into how MCT set it up as my settings were still with the receipts. All the little mods i did where still there, I remembered all its quirks and foibles. Riding it is like how I imagine being with an ex-partner - not exactly how you remember it, but familiar enough to know what you're doing, lol.

Since I've got it back I've:
- given it a proper clean
- bought some carbon can co exhausts and sold the stubby things (not the same as my SL carbons though sadly)
- fitted a "FalcoDaz" tail tidy (to replace the Frankenstein thing i made 10 years or so ago!), guy was nothing but helpful, and its a solid bit of kit, highly recommended.
- bought a ventura rack to replace the hepco becker rack and topbox plate that I put on it all those years ago (so I can swap luggage between my Triple and Falco). incidentally I'll probably sell the hepco and becker rack and givi plate.
- bought a NOS oil cooler which i'll fit at the next service
- fitted some classy heavy steel Paligale bar ends (just needed to to extend the thread into the bars (M18x1.5 if anybody's curious)

In contrast to the Triple the Falco is low, and a little bit squishy, whereas the Triple is like a turbine powered BMX that stops on a button.
I've still got the Speed Triple which will stay my main bike for now, i'm planning on 'restoring' the falco as much as practicable and never letting it go again. Eventually i'll need to replace the tank (CF?), I might get it repainted and some bits and bobs power coated. If I ever find some good nick SL carbons I might do ahead and grab them too.

I'll be checking in now and again

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

Re: Back again

#2 Post by Falcopops » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:58 pm

nice

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Good man! I cannot comprehend why people go for those shite stubby exhausts. They look completely wrong on a Falco and fuck up the fuelling big time. Going for a CF tank is probably the only real long term solution to the ethanol problem, although using super unleaded from Esso or BP should buy you some more time.

Welcome back... :smt003

Nanny48
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#4 Post by Nanny48 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:22 pm

Good for you :) Welcome back

Iangt750
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by Iangt750 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:20 pm

Inspiring.
I'm off to Ebay to look for either one of my 1976 or 1977 Suzuki GT750 triple. What's the chances?

FalcoJock
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#6 Post by FalcoJock » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:21 pm

Like being reacquainted with an old girlfriend, I guess (not that I’d know - I’ve not had that happen). I think mine is still around* (Falco, not girlfriend - although she might be as well), and I sold it 10 years ago next January.

You’re ageing faster than me… just over a third my age in 2007 - now half my age.

*MOT until next April :smt001

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#7 Post by Viking » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:46 am

Welcome back to the fold!
I think most of the old-timers are still here...
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.