Making the Falco bars more comfy for an Old Git (me)

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Re: Making the Falco bars more comfy for an Old Git (me)

#16 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Viking wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:48 am
mangocrazy wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 pm
How can they make this stuff for under £12?
Because it's made of the number one best quality high-tensile cheesemetal.
Hmmm, take your point. The state that it's machined from billet 7075-T6 aluminium, but then I guess they would say that...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#17 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:27 pm

A quick update - I've discarded two iterations of bars and have finally settled on a third set that just about clear the cut-down (previously damaged) Falco top fairing. The bars aren't the most aesthetically appealing things, but I'm hopeful that once they've been black anodised they'll look better (they're currently in plain mill finish aluminium). I will definitely need a new brake line, but am hoping to be able to just extend the top line to reach the new position. I'm also going to need a new clutch hose, and will be making that up myself.

One of the first things I did was to order a set of Gen 2 Tuono throttle cables, as I was told that they would be what I needed. This turned out to not be so... The Tuono cables have a right angle bend as they exit the throttle grip and, combined with the extra length, played havoc with my attempts to get them to work. I've since realised that what I need is a straight exit from the throttle grip (no bend or radius at all) and a modest 50-60mm increase in overall length over the OE Falco cable. The Tuono cables were over 100mm longer than OE Falco and this, combined with the right angle exit, completely scuppered any chance of them working. I've sent one of my OE Falco cables to Venhill with detailed instructions on the changes I need to the new ones they will fabricate. Hopefully they can work to my requirements.

And lastly, I'm going to dispense completely with the fast idle/choke cable on the LH bars and just use the idle adjuster on the RH side of the fuel tank to raise the idle speed before starting. They both do effectively the same thing (fractionally open the throttle butterflies) so I'll use the one that's easiest and doesn't need any modification.

Next thing is to finalise my top fairing butchery and take it to a paint man I've been recommended for him to do the necessary filling, sanding, flatting, finishing and painting to match my OE (unmodified) top fairing.

Photos will follow. (Honest).

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#18 Post by Falco Frank » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:27 am

Good update & Info - is the idle adjuster under the tank up to continued use I wonder?
I fully admit to only using mine at service time and wonder if its up to the task.

I've gone and bought an Aprilia Shiver top yolk for my attempt at 'higher Rise' but its so damn cold in the garage (and I'm so unmotivated currently) that Ive got no further with anything other than draining the tank to low level, stabiliser, run and then charge and remove battery...

As an aside here is a bar mod I did to my old Ducati, that I love but I got a good slating for on the Duc forums:
IMG_0465 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0465 (Medium).JPG (77.46 KiB) Viewed 13040 times
The massive clamps came from M&P 50mm dia. I think I got their last pair a couple of years ago in a sale and not seen them since. I had to drop the yolks a shocking amount and yet it didnt seem to upset the handling badly at all. I got slated for cutting a standard wide bar middle section out, apparently - lack of movement resistance I guess but at that time it was a beautiful position for me - I'll try and find a full width photo - Ta Ta.
01 Hyper Falco / 93 - 900ss Ducati (944cc)

My Ducati Alter-ego = Iconic944ss

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#19 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:19 pm

Hi Frank,

I spoke to Griff about using the idle adjuster instead of the fast idle/choke and he seemed perfectly OK about it. I think that most folk never use the idle adjuster and so it gets seized up and claggy (technical term). I'll give it a good going over with ACF50 and lithium grease to make sure its action is as smooth and glitch-free as possible.

Venhill have requested that I send them the other Falco throttle cable, as they don't have any details for Falco throttle cables on file. Typically I haven't been able to get back to where the cables are for over a week, but should be able to sort that out soon. In the interim I've been buying braided stainless hose and fittings, as I'll need to make up new brake and clutch lines to cater for the extra height of the bars. I'm hopeful this time of being able to avoid puncture wounds from the stainless braid. Last time I did the job I think I set a world record for profanity...

Very impressed with your Ducati mod; a very interesting variation on the myriad ways that exist to achieve a more comfortable riding position. I've always found Ducati owners are more resistant to modifications than Aprilia owners. Not sure why that is...

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#20 Post by Falco Frank » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:24 am

Very true about Ducati owners, especially the 'SuperLight' fraternity, I'm on a few groups that encompass these bikes and I do grin at owners wanting the original parts only, especially brakes, when so many great upgrades are now available...

Back to comfort, big aim for me is STILL trying to lower the footpegs height on my bird, I've tried a few options and none have been satisfactory (good enough) for my needs. Still, here is an option I saw, the seller of the Tuono wanted his home-brew lowering plates to go with the bike but I think with a little more available adjustment, these could be good on a Falco too.
*Apologies in advance for small size - its all I could get...
Tuono home made lowering brackets.jpg
Tuono home made lowering brackets.jpg (58.02 KiB) Viewed 13001 times

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#21 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:00 pm

I'm sure you have contacts in the engineering world, but if you ever need parts making up from a CAD drawing and can't find anyone to do it, I regularly use the services of an engineering firm in Sheffield for small one-offs. In fact I returned from there earlier today with various bits and pieces they've made up for me, including parts for a pin spanner to undo the face of an MPL slave cylinder, some acetal bushes for the top mount on my Lancia Beta alternator and various parts that needed turning or the bore enlarging on a lathe.

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#22 Post by Falco Frank » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 pm

Cheers! - can't have too many good contacts :smt003

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#23 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:11 pm

Minor update (no photos, I'm afraid). I've finally finished hacking Keith's damaged old top fairing about, and bolted the new screen I ordered off Skidmarx up to the top fairing so I could see where I needed to cut it down to suit. I covered the target cut area in masking tape and then did my best freehand drawing guesswork of where I needed to cut the screen down. Then it was a case of taking my courage in both hands and getting stuck in with the Dremel, It didn't take too long, and didn't look half bad once I'd finished it. Screen shape is a bit like the RS660 Tuono if you don't look too closely...

Next step was to take the top fairing and screen to Pro Kustom in Wath upon Dearne for Arnie to fill in all the missing bits (Keith had sent the bike down the Cadwell tarmac on one side) and then bring it back to recognisable Falco shape. Then it will get primed and finally re-painted in Flamingo Red/Anthracite to match the rest of the bike, when he can fit it in around his other commitments (he's a very busy man...) Arnie will also tidy up my rather agricultural efforts with the screen, bless him.

So it's slowly taking shape...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#24 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:51 pm

I thought it was about time to add some pictures to this thread. Exhibit A is the decidedly secondhand top fairing that Arnie at Pro Kustom has to work with. You might be able to make out where I've hacked the top part of the fairing about in this photo. It's as close to the mirror mounts as I could get - I wasn't prepared to put myself through alternative mirror hell, so the OE mirror mounts have to stay. They also are the main support for the top fairing, so they doubly have to stay.

DSCF2898_alt.JPG
DSCF2898_alt.JPG (354.62 KiB) Viewed 12835 times

The bars I've settled on are significantly taller than the CAD diagram I posted earlier. They have to be to clear the fairing even in its cut down state. They're made from 7/8" 6063-T6/6082-T6 tubing with a wall thickness of 3.2 mm (10 swg). In the raw aluminium finish they do make the bike look a bit like a Raleigh Chopper on steroids, but I'm hoping that when they're anodised black they won't be quite so in yer face...

DSCF3055.JPG
DSCF3055.JPG (437.08 KiB) Viewed 12835 times

I've had to make up all new brake and clutch lines. The clutch line has been made up from scratch and the brake line uses the T-piece and lines to the calipers from an old brake hose with a new section grafted on running from the T-piece to the master cylinder. I've also incorporated a dry-break QD coupling into the top brake line, as I had one that was unused.

DSCF3053.JPG
DSCF3053.JPG (457.91 KiB) Viewed 12835 times

I'd originally bought a pair of Gen 2 Tuono throttle cables on Nooj's recommendation but I couldn't get them to work at all. In the end I had to go to Venhill Engineering and get them to make me up a custom set. I needed them 65mm longer than OE Falco, and with a straight exit from the twistgrip rather than the standard 45 (ish) degree exit of the standard cables. I fitted them today and I'm relieved to say that they fit perfectly and work really well. Phew... The Venhill cables have their 'featherlight' inners and liner, and they really are as smooth and friction-free as the name suggests. Here are the straight exits:

DSCF3058.JPG
DSCF3058.JPG (323.03 KiB) Viewed 12835 times

I'm also in the middle of making up new brackets for the brake and clutch remote reservoir and drilling and tapping the bars to accept mounting screws for same. Just about everything that could be altered has had to be altered or made/bought afresh. But I've started, so I will see it to the bitter end...

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#25 Post by Falco Frank » Fri May 20, 2022 10:43 am

WOW, those are seriously long bars, I'm wondering if a cross-brace near the top might be needed?

Funny, I was only thinking about extending fluid hoses instead of buying new and I think you have done that here? I think Goodridge & Venhill do parts?

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#26 Post by mangocrazy » Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm

I've been away in France for nearly 5 weeks, and hoped that Arnie would have had the top fairing ready for when I got back. Unfortunately the fairing is still only in 'mid-repair' (Arnie's term). The bars have been anodised black since I last posted and (to my eyes at least) they don't look quite as gawky as they did in plain aluminium. You may think otherwise, of course...

This is probably the 'worst' angle, but will be mainly covered by the fairing when re-fitted.

DSCF3092.JPG
DSCF3092.JPG (666.11 KiB) Viewed 12458 times
Side view, showing elevation above tank and an idea of backwards rake:

DSCF3098.JPG
DSCF3098.JPG (486.27 KiB) Viewed 12458 times
And the closest I could get to a rider's view:

DSCF3101.JPG
DSCF3101.JPG (511.17 KiB) Viewed 12458 times
The brake line has been extended rather than being completely new and I've also incorporated a dry break fitting. The clutch line, being essentially point to point, I've made up from new components, mainly purchased from ebay. To avoid suffering multiple puncture wounds from stainless braided hose (anyone who has done this will understand), I devised a little tool to make assembling the fittings to the hose easier. Hopefully the following photos will explain:

DSCF2989.JPG
DSCF2989.JPG (342.07 KiB) Viewed 12458 times
DSCF2996.JPG
DSCF2996.JPG (370.46 KiB) Viewed 12458 times
DSCF2997.JPG
DSCF2997.JPG (256.35 KiB) Viewed 12458 times
DSCF3002.JPG
DSCF3002.JPG (297.17 KiB) Viewed 12458 times
DSCF3003.JPG
DSCF3003.JPG (369.87 KiB) Viewed 12458 times

Once the fitting is pushed over the hose, the olive can be inserted under the braid and over the teflon inner, and the fitting assembled.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#27 Post by mangocrazy » Tue May 31, 2022 5:02 pm

Falco Frank wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:43 am
WOW, those are seriously long bars, I'm wondering if a cross-brace near the top might be needed?
That thought had occurred to me as well, but I'll need to get everything assembled and the bars in their 'final' position before I do anything like that. The length of the bars do mean that I can put a fair bit of leverage through them, so I'll need to ensure they don't move in the clamps or flex.
Falco Frank wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:43 am
Funny, I was only thinking about extending fluid hoses instead of buying new and I think you have done that here? I think Goodridge & Venhill do parts?
Goodridge, Venhill and Earls do parts for home assembly, but the Venhill ones are their own design I think and I'm not sure if they're interchangeable with Goodridge/Earls types. But I found ebay as good as anything for brake hose components (once you've figured out what the parts you need are called). If you need links to anything just let me know and I'll dig them out.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#28 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:20 pm

I put the replacement top Falco fairing into the paint guy for filling/sanding/priming/paint back in February. It's finally made it into primer, 6 months later. I'd like to say I'm ecstatic.

But relieved would probably be closer to the mark.

Falco_top_fairing_in_primer_01.jpg
Falco_top_fairing_in_primer_01.jpg (94.29 KiB) Viewed 11769 times

from a different angle...

Falco_top_fairing_in_primer_02.jpg
Falco_top_fairing_in_primer_02.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 11769 times

and while looking through some old images, I found this. Nicely positions Falco owners in the Aprilia V2 spectrum...

Falco_owners.jpg
Falco_owners.jpg (110.9 KiB) Viewed 11769 times

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#29 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:07 pm

The above post was dated 9th August 2022. Mid-way through January it dawned on me that I'd heard nothing from the paint guy since November and that on 21st February 2023 the paint guy would have had my Falco top fairing for a whole fucking year!

So that thought gave me the impetus to start chasing him up to get the bloody thing finished. I tried ringing him - went straight to voicemail. Then I sent him a message on his FB page - didn't hear anything. Then, completely out of the blue I get a phone call today to say that it will be going for paint next week and asking me whether I want the belly pan burgundy red or anthracite grey (I want it red, with a contrasting grey aprilia logo). So with any luck I just might have the bits back before the end of January.

Woo and hoo. Perhaps. I'll believe it when I see it.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#30 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 pm

Well, glory be, Hallelujah and pass the Courvoisier...

My Falco top fairing and bellypan are ready for collection.

It had only been 11 months and 14 days since I dropped them off...

Falco_top_fairing_and_belly_pan.jpg
Falco_top_fairing_and_belly_pan.jpg (466.44 KiB) Viewed 11262 times