Electrical gremlins - all the lights went out!

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Electrical gremlins - all the lights went out!

#1 Post by Firestarter » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am

Hi all

Having a bit of fun! Looks like I've got a loose wire (that's been known for years), when turning the handlebars all the lights go out, headlights, tail lights, dash bulbs etc, also the horn stops working. Indicators still work, and so do the brake lights. Moving the cable bundle that runs from the light switch on the left bar on to under the clocks causes the issue. You can hear the relays click off as it breaks the connection.

Secondary issue - new battery fitted as the old one apparently wouldn't hold a charge. Last rode the bike a week ago (to the day), today got the dreaded bouncing needles and clock reset, coupled with zero movement of the starter. Great when I was already late for work and fully togged up in all my riding gear!

Looking at the wiring diagram https://www.apriliaforum.com/techtips/1 ... iagram.pdf, I think the only cable that connects all of the lights above is the green wire running from the switch to the multi-connector (labelled "V" for green). Two questions before I start hacking the loom apart - is this likely to be the bust wire, and is this likely to be causing a short which is draining the battery or do I have two unrelated faults?

TIA
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

fatboy
World Champion

Re: Electrical gremlins - all the lights went out!

#2 Post by fatboy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:10 pm

Oh the joy of electrickery, not.
You could try a continuity test along the green wire,check the main fuse connections and all earth points.
Has the battery really drained or is it just playing silly buggers ?
Hopefully it's a loose connection or similar, good luck
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#3 Post by Firestarter » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:08 am

Battery has really drained, put it on the optimate straight away, was still charging about 12 hours later. Got the red "battery condition" light this morning, so either there is a short somewhere or the brand new battery has dropped a cell. going to disconnect it from the bike and charge it and see what happens. Got the old battery as well, so given that had similar symptoms that will get the same treatment!

Hoping to get time later today to trace the wiring, have found the parts fiches and traced some of the wire bundles, so hopefully can do a continuity test and put some bypass leads across the connector blocks

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#4 Post by Firestarter » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:29 am

First problem figured (if not quite fixed):
IMG_4129.jpg
IMG_4129.jpg (430.47 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
IMG_4130.jpg
IMG_4130.jpg (540.79 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
It was the green wire! Have pulled the switch apart and traced the cable to the connector plug, and found bad continuity. Pulled on the wire and it came straight out the wire bundle sheath! There is a joining crimp with 4 wires going through it, and it has snapped at that crimp. Will either replace the crimp or just solder them all together, given they are all part of the switchgear assembly they don't really need to be able to come apart again.

Second problem - so, based on the above it doesn't look like this could cause a short. The optimate has been on overnight with the battery disconnected from the loom, and now getting the "healthy" light. Will reconnect to the loom and see if I get the "weak" light, if so then I'll be searching for the next gremlin...

fatboy
World Champion

#5 Post by fatboy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Well you've sorted half the problem !
When you reconnect the battery and everything is switched off ( no load ), you shouldn't get any spark at all, if you do get a spark then you have an open circuit
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#6 Post by Firestarter » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:52 pm

fatboy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm
Well you've sorted half the problem !
When you reconnect the battery and everything is switched off ( no load ), you shouldn't get any spark at all, if you do get a spark then you have an open circuit
No spark to note, very very minor noting I’ve got an alarm, and the clocks start drawing power when reconnected. Optimate said healthy for the battery alone, will see what the morning brings with it all reconnected!