SL Carbon cans and the MOT

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Three Dawg
Despatch Rider

SL Carbon cans and the MOT

#1 Post by Three Dawg » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Anyone know how my somewhat, er, deafening SL Carbon cans will go down come MOT time? I do have a set of original silencers if they won't pass, or are the SLs repackable?

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Re: SL Carbon cans and the MOT

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:23 pm

It all depends on the attitude of your MoT tester (but then you knew that already...) If the SLs have rivets on the end caps that can be drilled out, then they're repackable. But to be honest it's probably easier just to slip the original boat anchors on to get the old girl through the MoT...

Three Dawg
Despatch Rider

#3 Post by Three Dawg » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:43 am

Yeah, suppose that might save me a wasted trip. I did read elsewhere that the rivets were a cow to drill out, and that the packing actually lasts longer than most, but by gum they are loud... :smt003

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:39 pm

I've heard that the SLs are among (if not THE) loudest cans for Falcos. And rivets do tend to be a swine to drill out, especially if they're stainless ones. My normally relaxed and easy-going MoT station told me that my (unbaffled) Akras wouldn't get through next time, so I knuckled down and got some db killers for it. That did take the edge off it enough to pass without affecting performance (that I noticed, anyway).

Three Dawg
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by Three Dawg » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:12 pm

One of my cans (a replacement?) has a hole drilled in the end piece (ie the tube that sticks out backwards) like it once had some sort of DB killer in. I do love the noise, but it does kind of draw attention to me when I'm out and about. Mind you, so did my old Jota... Putting the original cans on for any length of time isn't really an option as I have the factory chip in the bike, and I doubt they go together too well.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:52 pm

No, you fit the original cans for the journey to the MoT centre and back again. And that's all. Horrible, ugly, heavy things. And they strangle a performance chip. The weight saving when replacing with aftermarket cans is really significant.

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#7 Post by Viking » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:55 am

I love the sounds of the SL exhausts. My neighbours may not appreciate them too much when I head out for work in the morning. Although the lady next door has commented that she uses the noise as a "get yourself moving and off to work" timer/reminder.
And my GF knows when I turn into our street on my way home. :-)

Sorry, not much use to the OP and his question...
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

rockmeamadeus
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#8 Post by rockmeamadeus » Wed May 27, 2020 5:32 pm

A bit late to respond, granted, but just found this post, and couldn't resist sharing this little anecdote. In fact I newly registered so that I could.

I asked my neighbour a few years ago if the SL carbon cans on the Falco bothered him and whether I should try to turn down the volume somehow. His response was brilliant. He'd report me to, "the character abatement society", if I did :smt001

Anyway, back to the original question, I did change the cans back to the originals once for the MoT in the 16 years that I've had the Falco, and wished I hadn't. It wasn't necessary, and the throttle responses below 30 mph were lumpy and horrible, almost un-rideable, even with swapping the race chip back to the original item. So yes, find a tester who will at worst only hit you with an advisory.

Three Dawg
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by Three Dawg » Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I know my MOT bloke fairly well so he'll probably be OK, worst case scenario he'll send me home to change 'em. Mind you, since my original post it's all a bit moot now innit?

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#10 Post by Falco Frank » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:15 am

rockmeamadeus wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:32 pm

Great username: Please meet 'Amadeus'
With nice quiet Staintune stainless exhausts that are suitable for MOT time :smt003

Image[/url]
01 Hyper Falco / 93 - 900ss Ducati (944cc)

My Ducati Alter-ego = Iconic944ss

Three Dawg
Despatch Rider

#11 Post by Three Dawg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:39 pm

Nice. Bet those front calipers are effective!

Oddly enough the Gabro chip I installed a wee while back seems to make the pipes quieter, but in the end I decided to swap the cans for standard for the day. Good thing too as the usual tester was away so I got the boss man who is very pernickety. Swapped 'em straight back when I got home, sounded far too much like a Firestorm for my liking. :smt003

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#12 Post by Falco Frank » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:06 am

Radials are good but I had 4-pad calipers on previously that were well sorted.

But, great thing with the radials with a matched with a radial master = less effort at the lever.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Falco Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:06 am
Radials are good but I had 4-pad calipers on previously that were well sorted.

But, great thing with the radials with a matched with a radial master = less effort at the lever.
How much better are the radials than the 4-pad calipers? I have the 4-pad calipers on mine and they are excellent - noticeably better than the standard Falco calipers which are not bad themselves. I also have radial clutch and brake master cylinders, and rate them highly.

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#14 Post by Falco Frank » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Its really not worth the effort over the 4-pads at all. IMHO

I bought the forks with the calipers in a crazy cheap bid and won. I already had the master from my 4-pads.

Been such a long time now its hard to remember the difference. I dont believe feel is any better at all but the same power is achieved with less effort at the lever (good for long rides / touring). I even have some billet Radials some where but they are such a pain to get on and off discs, that I'm inclined to not even bother fitted instead of my base gold ones...

But if Santa brought some nice M50 calipers.... LoL

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:19 pm

The Duke 690 R has a single M50 caliper and the power and feel is astonishing. The bike's light weight (150kg) helps of course, but it is seriously powerful, without doubt the best braking setup I've ever used. Hopping off that and onto my 350LC with 40 year old brakes, suspension and no engine braking forced some rapid brain re-calibration... :smt003