Maintenance of Fuel Lines

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#16 Post by Firestarter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 am

All

The link for the flexible fuel hose kit seems out of date (listing ended on Ebay). This looks to be the same item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Fuel ... SwAFBZrtAb
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#17 Post by Dalemac » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 pm

I'v been doing some work on the Falco the last few days as I've not been at work. While replacing the spark plugs, I saw the state of the fuel lines and nearly had a heart attack. One of the pipes looked like it had been through a shredder. The others lines look to be fine.

I whipped off the line, cut off the connectors and inspected further. After cutting cross sections of the line every inch, it turns out that it was only the external section that had cracked, which is the portion external to the internal braid of the hose.

I have pictures but they are scary.

Thankfully I had some spare line lying around and made up another line in minutes.

Because of this, I'm going to look at alternative types of fuel lines - PTFE lines with external stainless braid seems to be all the rage right now. PTFE should be great for this and the external braiding should provide more protection (and look better).

I'll look at getting this done before summer, I reckon. I'll report back when I've got this done.

I'd recommend anyone that has replaced their lines for r9/r10 hose to check them and continue to keep a regular eye on them.

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#18 Post by Dalemac » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Unfortunately none of the braided hoses turned out to be viable options for me. I ended up using the 'Cohline' 100% eco-fuel 'install and forget about it' lines from AFS.

fatboy
World Champion

#19 Post by fatboy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 pm

That is a good bit of info !
Thanks Dale
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Luke M
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#20 Post by Luke M » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 am

Fantastic post, found this very useful in replacing my fuel lines after taking the tank off.

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#21 Post by Greg » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Is there a "how to" to change the lines inside the tank? i'm an inherently lazy bastard.
However when I had my tank of for spraying I did see that the lines inside the tank were rigid, almost cast into the moulding of he tank ..
You don't get a warm-up lap for life...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by D-Rider » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 pm

I posted up a while ago about it - including where to get the things you need I think it's in the Carbon Tanks area or the tech section
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#23 Post by Greg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Chaars !

I'll have a look.

G
You don't get a warm-up lap for life...

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

Re: Maintenance of Fuel Lines

#24 Post by Falcopops » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:02 pm

I've been meaning to do this for years to my Falco in Australia, but now I'm back here and I've got the tank in the airing cupboard trying to get it to shrink a bit, I'm doing the pipes.

I ordered the shut off valves from Tom Parker Ltd. and the very next day I had an email suggesting that if it was for a motorcycle fuel line I'd be better getting the part with the Viton seals. They then called me to ensure I got the correct part numbers and re-ordered.

Now that's great customer service!

So the part numbers for the Acetal parts (white plastic type ones) with shutoffs in both parts of the coupling, with 6mm barbed tails and Viton Seals are:

cPLCD17004V - for the part with the thumb latch and
cPLCD22004V - for the insert part.

Hope that helps
Last edited by Falcopops on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#25 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Nice one - I've always had excellent service from Tom Parker as well. Their postage is a bit pricey, but it's always next day.

fatboy
World Champion

#26 Post by fatboy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Thank god for this post, everything I need to know about specifications of fuel lines/connections is here.
As I have just ethanol proofed my replacement tank, it would be nuts to put it all back together again with the original factory fitted stuff, 2001 model so the original stuff falls a little bit outside of the reccomend replacement interval!
Fuel line and clips ordered, message sent to supplier of CPC connections with FKM seals, are they ethanol proof?
I sit here eating crayons waiting for parts to arrive

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#27 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:28 pm

FKM is Viton, which is ethanol-proof and the highest spec. It's all good!

fatboy
World Champion

#28 Post by fatboy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks Graham, will click on buy now !
The seller never got back to me, the parts are listed as compatible with petrol, as was the Falco when it was manufactured....