Twisted Firestarter

#61 Post by Firestarter » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm in no rush, but equally happy to chuck my hand in the air
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#62 Post by morepower » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:20 pm

Firestarter wrote:I'm in no rush, but equally happy to chuck my hand in the air
Its yours... Although I hope to have a new painter doing the lacquer so I may end up doing all of them and just keep throwing work at him as I should get one more done and bonded next week too..

Squishbang
Despatch Rider

#63 Post by Squishbang » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi, glad to see that things are going well. Looking forward to when it's my turn.It's an amazing process.

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#64 Post by Viking » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:07 am

Just wait until you get to hold one and see how f**king lovely it is. They are an amazing piece of art.
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#65 Post by Falcopops » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Too true Viking my old mate, mine arrived on Tuesday and it's bloody gorgeous. I think I'll just keep it on the table and stare at it for a while.

Squishbang
Despatch Rider

#66 Post by Squishbang » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Crikey. Very satisfied customers indeed.They sound awesome. I have a few friends / acquaintances. That reckoned it couldn't be done or it wouldn't look right and that I was a fool to put my money down. So I am looking forward to proving them wrong :)

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#67 Post by morepower » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:20 pm

Viking wrote:Just wait until you get to hold one and see how f**king lovely it is. They are an amazing piece of art.
Thank you..

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#68 Post by morepower » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Falcopops wrote:Too true Viking my old mate, mine arrived on Tuesday and it's bloody gorgeous. I think I'll just keep it on the table and stare at it for a while.

I feel quite humbled by the nice comments... I just do my best and if people like my work I have the best job in the world..

Now just go and fit the bloody thing... :smt002

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#69 Post by morepower » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Squishbang wrote:Crikey. Very satisfied customers indeed.They sound awesome. I have a few friends / acquaintances. That reckoned it couldn't be done or it wouldn't look right and that I was a fool to put my money down. So I am looking forward to proving them wrong :)

I think your friends may be in for a surprise if the other comments are anything to go by...

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#70 Post by morepower » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:39 pm

OK Firestarter.. I am guessing yours is the one that you want to paint and highlight the carbon within the design... SO if thats the case. I have actually made your this week as the one I had done last week went to the painter for lacquer as he can take a week or two to get back and yours could be finished for the end of the week all bar leak testing.,

So apart from Firestarter who is next??

I can just about get one made per week and out to the painter now. The new mould is doing a great job now.

JUST out of the mould and still has the flash where the mould sections join.

ALTHOUGH, I did have one problem with one section of the new mould I made which had some air trapped under the surface layer. So when I cured it at a low temp (Tooling cures at 65 Degrees C) it was fine but when I had to cure the fuel tank the material needs a much higher temp and the air expanded the surface layer causing a bump in the mould (dent in the tank). SO I do have one with a flaw where the seat pad and tank meet. SO If ANYONE wants that one for a discounted price you can have it gladly. If not, I will sell it via eBay as it has no issues apart from the cosmetic flaw and would be fine for someone to use.

It has gone to be lacquered already. So here are two photos of the flaws before it went to lacquer.

I am offering it here so if anyone wants it they can have it. I dont want to put it up on eBay without you guys knowing why it is up on there and feel I am selling anything off cheap as it is flawed and I do not want to scrap it.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#71 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi Richard, I don't need mine lacquering either, as I'm going to get it partially painted, so that the carbon weave is shown off in the unpainted parts. Mine is the two-tone tank (Flamingo Red and Anthracite) and the bit that would normally be painted anthracite will have lacquer over carbon weave.

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#72 Post by morepower » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Ah.. I got mangocrazy and Firestarter mixed up... So many names... lol..

spiderwheels
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#73 Post by spiderwheels » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:42 pm

I guess I'm next then :smt003
Insert humourous comment here

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#74 Post by morepower » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:07 pm

spiderwheels wrote:I guess I'm next then :smt003
OK... Looks like I am making yours next week then.... :smt001

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#75 Post by Firestarter » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:33 pm

morepower wrote:OK Firestarter.. I am guessing yours is the one that you want to paint and highlight the carbon within the design... SO if thats the case. I have actually made your this week as the one I had done last week went to the painter for lacquer as he can take a week or two to get back and yours could be finished for the end of the week all bar leak testing.,
If it's OK, I think I'd like the laquered one. My concern was the join line, and I was hoping to paint it to hide it. However, having seen the photos, it looks pretty good and doesn't really need hiding. (Plus I'm lazy, and finding someone to paint it I just don't have time for at the moment!)

Let me know if that's OK, if not I'll take the unlaquered one (or wait for the following one to be laquered)

Sorry for the confusion!
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red