Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

DB Killers for Aprilia Carbon cans?

#1 Post by Viking » Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 am

Hey all,

Yeah, I know... I shouldn't need to ask for these.

My car got pinged for being 'too loud' by some pissed off cop a few months back. It was a total balls-ache to sort out - get a new muffler, get the car noise tested, submit all the paperwork. All for something that's way quieter than some of the shitboxes on our roads. I never even saw the plod that pinged me for the car - all I got was a letter in the mail.

Now, the Falco is a lot, lot, lot louder than the car ever was and I'm now a bit paranoid about riding it. Hence the question - how hard is it to get a set of DB-killers for the factory SL-Carbon cans? And what impact would they have on performance?

Getting a set of stock Falco cans down here is next to impossible, and not something I want to do. Because they're ugly, weigh a ton, and sound like a huge long fart.

Cheers,
V.

(Or do I just give the middle finger to the establishment and keep riding the bike like it is?)
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Re: DB Killers for Aprilia Carbon cans?

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Fri May 24, 2024 9:30 pm

I'd say it would be next door to impossible to find a set of d killers made specifically for your SL carbon cans, but a lot easier to buy a set of generic db killers made for a particular sized can outlet. I had to go down this route when my famously lax MoT tester let it be known that my straight through race Akras wouldn't be getting another ticket from him. I measured up the outlet diameter and went on ebay and found something fairly quickly. They're still loud, but the edge has definitely been taken off, and I can't detect any loss in performance.

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by Viking » Sat May 25, 2024 7:32 am

Thanks Mango!

I'll jump onto eBay later this week and see what I can find. With the weather down here, it's not like I'm going to be riding anywhere soon...

Cheers,
V.
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

TED007
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#4 Post by TED007 » Sun May 26, 2024 1:42 pm

A trick we used on dirt bikes long long ago :
buy some stainless steel pot scrubbers
stuff them up the pipe hole
use a cross bolt or something at the outlet to keep them in.

More scrubbers = Less noise, so completely tunable.
They will richen the fuel mixture, how much to be determined.
Best of all low cost.

DON'T USE YOUR MOM'S

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by Viking » Fri May 31, 2024 10:50 am

Yeah, nah. I'll pass on that idea thanks. Not keen on stuffing loose bits inside the exhausts.

Also, the Falco is running very rich, so making it worse is not a good idea. I guess I'd better think about getting it properly serviced - it's had a few years of little/no activity now. :smt009 :smt010