Fork rebuild

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

Fork rebuild

#1 Post by Tipper2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:22 pm

In the next week I'm finally going to strip my forks, fit the Race-Tech gold valves that have been sitting in the garage for two years and some progressive springs.

Unless something else comes up like it has every other time.

Fingers crossed 🙄

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Re: Fork rebuild

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:57 pm

Good luck! I fitted RT Gold compression valves and they made a big improvement to front end feel and operation. Do you have both compression and rebound valves or just compression? The difference in porting between standard Showa and the RT Gold valves is very noticeable.

I take it you've got a tool to compress the fork spring so you can get at the nut that needs to be unscrewed to remove the fork cap? When stripping the cartridge unit, be careful to clean up the part on the screw where it's been staked before undoing the nut. It's fiddly but needs doing to avoid damage. Once you've undone the nut I tend to get a thin cable tie and insert that through the centre of all the cartridge components as you withdraw the screw/bolt and then tie it off. That way all the components are kept in the correct order and orientation.

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

#3 Post by Tipper2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks but it's no bother, I've done a lot of forks over the years.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:14 am

No probs - didn't know your skill level.

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by Tipper2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:39 am

I liked the write-up you did with your LC forks, I'm thinking about doing the same.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:40 pm

I can recommend it. I was impressed when I rode the bike for the first time - suspension felt responsive and a lot better than I remembered it. I also fitted a replacement YSS shock and once that had 'run in' for a hundred miles or so felt similarly good. It will never be Ohlins standard, but feels a lot more 'modern'.

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by Tipper2 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:53 am

Finally got the forks rebuilt a few months ago and it's transformed the front end, well worth doing.

Unfortunately I'm having bother with my wrist so I'm looking at a top yoke conversion or another bike. Bloody typical when I've just got it sorted.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:08 am

That really would be a shame. I'd persist with the Falco now you've got it how you want it (apart from bar position). I'm in very much the same position. The last ride I went on made me realise that the bar position is too low for comfort on my ageing bones, but the bike has had front forks and shock overhauled and is feeling better than ever.

I've already modified the bars by using a bar mounting clamp on top of the yoke (forks pushed through the top yoke by 6 rings to make space) and modified bars fitted), but I need to go further with that plan. I don't really want a top yoke conversion if I can avoid it. So I've bought a pair of these only to discover I already had a pair:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970646020.html

These give a 30mm rise and if I use them in conjunction with a set of bars shaped like those below that should move the bar position up and back enough to take a lot of weight off my wrists.
Clip-on_MkV_VFR.jpg
Clip-on_MkV_VFR.jpg (22.42 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
Actual dimensions may change, but that is the general idea of what I have planned. I already use bars of that type in conjunction with clamps that don't give the 30mm rise, but the offset is only about 45mm at most. Using clamps with a higher start position and significantly more offset on the bars should make it easier on my wrists. That's the plan, anyway.

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by Tipper2 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:23 pm

Sounds like a plan, good luck with it!

Don't know if I can be ars*d with the trouble. I'm looking at a top yoke conversion but if that means I have to cut the fairing it's getting sold and I'll get something else.

What to get is another matter..

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 am

I have no intention of cutting any of my fairing parts. I will be acquiring a top fairing that's suffered crash damage and which needs repairing, and if any cutting is required, that will be the parts that suffers. However I intend to avoid that if at all possible. I'll also get the new bars fabricated with a longer 'short' arm if you see what I mean , so I have the option of moving the whole bar assembly inboard to some degree if needed.

This would also reduce overall bar width and make it easier to get down the passageway in the row of terraced houses that we live in. Can take photos if the idea might be of use...?

An obvious alternative would be an Aprilia Tuono, I guess. You have V2 or V4 options...

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#11 Post by katie1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:36 pm

Or a Super Duke R?
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 pm

katie1 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:36 pm
Or a Super Duke R?
Rear tyre wear will be fairly heavy. Front tyre wear pretty much non-existent if my mate's SDR is anything to go by... :smt003

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

#13 Post by Tipper2 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 am

Have to cut the fairing so looks like the Falco's going.

Probably looking at getting a Tuono.

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

#14 Post by Tipper2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:30 pm

Will be looking for a Gen1 Tuono when I get home in a couple of weeks. Decision made!

Much as I love my Falco I need an improved riding position to take the weight off my wrists and don't want to have to chop the fairing.

I'll be putting a for-sale ad in classifieds on here first in case any future enthusiasts are looking before throwing it on ebay.

Thanks for all the help and advice over the past few years, this has to be one of the most helpful and pleasant bike forums I've had the pleasure to be part of.

(LC forum are great too if anyone's thinking about pulling their hair out for a couple of years doing a full resto!).

Davey.

Three Dawg
Despatch Rider

#15 Post by Three Dawg » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:51 pm

No need to chop the fairing if you move the bars over the yokes. Raises them 45mm. Not as comfortable as flat bars, unless you're getting a wriggle on :smt018 but way better than stock.